• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator wiring question - mystery wire

rlsbee

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
I've been having an issue with my alternator not charging properly. I've checked the alternator, regulator, and the battery and everything seems to be normal. So, I started checking the wiring. In the schematics that I've looked at, a single 'FLD' post alternator should have a green wire to 'FLD' and a black wire to 'BAT'. There is only one 'FLD' connection. Mine has an extra pink wire attached to 'BAT' and I can't figure out what it goes to. The only pink wire that I see on schematics is for the Emergency Flasher. The pink wire looks factory installed. The car is a '68 Super Bee with 383. Pics below don't show the connection clearly but it is attached to 'BAT'. Has anyone else seen this wiring setup or would anyone know what the pink wire goes to?

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

I Think The pink wire is part of the START circuit which would supply a full 12V to the coil during start-up..Do you have a double wires at the ballast connector?

My 68 National Service manual only shows a single black wire out of the alt, going into the firewall bulkhead. This provides power to the dash, and goes thru the ammeter, back out ending at the battery.

My 69 Dodge B-Body Service Manual shows The black wire going to the firewall bulkhead too, but also shows a violet wire going to the "B" terminal on the horn relay. As you look at the horn relay terminal side, the "B" terminal is the horizontal one in the middle.

Hope this helps.

Charging

A total shot in the dark.

Years ago my runner was not charging correctly.

After much research and several parts changes if found the wires were loose on the back of the factory alternator gauge....small nuts had backed loose.

Tightened this up and it was perfect.

Just a thought!

Nope, can't trace it back to anywhere. It goes into the harness wrapping and that's it. I saw the same thing on the schematics. One black wire is all that I see coming from the 'BAT' post. I did see something about the horn relay but I thought that wire came from the starter relay. I could be mistaken. I didn't get much time to work on it today but I'll keep you posted. I keep wondering if this was a variation peculiar to the LA plant (where this car was built). Thanks to all for the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back