• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum intake blast material?

Try EverBrite metal protectant or something comparable.
Mike

3 years and many miles later since post #3 on the Eastwood Aluma Blast paint. Holding up great.

IMG_3591.JPG

What you're blasting and what you're trying to remove should guide your media choice.

Screenshot_20240329-133955~2.png

Quite a few of you gentlemen sport intakes I've restored/finished for you, several almost two decades ago now. How is it holding up to use? Any new staining or a resurfacing of old stains? Any issues with the clear on silver ones? I'd love to know!

786770-3577838271.jpg

psc-2018-august-004-875453036.jpg

5694136_orig-2409075723.jpg

Last edited:
Curious. Would you all use the same media you use on an intake on a pair of natural finish aluminum wheels?
(Seventies vintage Ansen. I have new ansen caps, and gonna have the lips repolished)

IMG_20221104_141205.jpg

IMG_20221104_141207.jpg

Last edited:
Curious. Would you all use the same media you use on an intake on a pair of natural finish aluminum wheels?
(Seventies vintage Ansen. I have new ansen caps, and gonna have the lips repolished)

View attachment 1637729

View attachment 1637730

Oooohhh, Ansens!!

It kind of depends on what's you used on the intake lol but it's not like your dirty old used intake will "poison" your media or anything. It typically just turns into dust when it reaches the end of its lifespan. Sifting it in between projects can also speed you along in the long run, especially if the earlier project produced a bunch of paint flakes ... which always seem to clog the gun.

It can be a good idea to reduce the PSI to your cabinet when blasting softer metals like aluminum though. Some medias leave a smooth finish (glass beads, walnut shells, etc.) but sharper ones can leave an undesirable blast profile on the metal.

Teach the fuzzy ones to help!

Auto Transport Service
Back