• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake manifold coatings

66/440

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
I am going to refinish my aluminum intake and have been looking for options. I prefer to keep it a cast aluminum look and don't want to use paint, even the aluminum type. I have a company that can put a clear coat on it that they guarantee not to discolor and is good to 1200 degrees F but kinda pricy. Includes blasting and a chemical prep wash. They say it will shed oil, and fuel, and will wipe clean with a rag. Anyone have experience doing this? What did you use and would you use it again.

That prep and clear sounds like the ticket, if you don't want to use paint.
As far as price, if it resists oils like they say, it sounds like you may be getting what you paid for.

It's very likely a form of Cera coat. They have clear.if it is, very good stuff.

It's very likely a form of Cera coat. They have clear.if it is, very good stuff.
It is Cerakote but at $250 I would like to hear if anyone else has done this and were you satisfied.

Unless the intake is outgassed in an oven for several hours and then blasted, any oil / carbon / gunk / old fuel stains / etc. will all return ... except they'll be trapped forever under a layer of clear which is pretty indestructible -- CeraKote is marketed as "the world's strongest clear coat," and they aren't kidding.

Get particulars from the shop you intend to hire on what prep they're going to do and ask questions about warranties and guarantees (if any) if the promises do not match the results, especially over the long term.

I spray CeraKote here too, though I don't use it by itself ever except on buffed / polished metals I restore. The only thing expensive about it is the material itself ... but a little bit goes a LONG WAY. The "tester size" is 4 ounces, costs $35 and has more than enough to coat at least two dozen intake manifolds (you can even pour the leftovers back in the bottle). You can also do it yourself if you have an HVLP gun with a .08 mm tip but I wouldn't recommend it unless you can cook the intake for a few hours first in a dedicated shop oven before blasting it to bring all the leached in gunk to the surface.

Most of my customers are looking for a finish that replicates the look of brand new aluminum but stays that way forever without a lot of upkeep or maintenance. To be clear though, these are NOT "just aluminum" with CeraKote -- they're all powder coated silver first (some with accent colors).

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_0002 (2).JPG

IMG_0562 (2).JPG

Clifford intake with Valiant accessories.jpg

Mike Surrento intake close up.jpg

Mike Surrento intake.jpg

Before (for the Richard Petty Museum :bananadance:) ...

Moonshine Speed Shop Eddy intake before.jpg

... and After:

Moonshine Speed Shop Eddy intake after.jpg

I hope this helps with your decision. If I can help with the job or with any other questions you might have, don't hesitate to get in touch! As a Gold Member you'll enjoy a 5% labor discount but there's others for military / law enforcement / first responder / Liking my FaceBook or Twitter Shop Fan Pages, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back