• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum Restoration Complete

Thank you very much. I toyed with the clear coat idea but when I polished my sill plates, I tested the method out on them and it looked absolutely horrible...even after a wet sand and polish they didn't quite have the "shine" I was looking for, and you could definitely tell they were painted. The tough part is getting a clear coat to stick to bare metal.

Being that I only drive my car in nice weather, I don't really have to worry about any adverse effects of weather on the metals...I'll just keep an eye on them and get an idea of how long the finish will last.

Looks Great! Your hard work paid off!!

Some people use clear on them but since they are back on the car thats pretty hard to do. I wonder how long the shine holds up with periodic waxing? Excellent job on the trim parts by the way. Car looks great.

Thats what I did with the grille trim on my '69. I had to strip all the anodizing off to straighten/sand/polish. When I was done I sprayed them with clear laquer to protect them from the elements.

Jason

How did you get the lacquer to settle correctly? As I said, I tried it on the sill plates but it looked horrible...I did it very lightly but was not impressed.

Thanks again for the compliments, I'm quite pleased with how everything turned out.

Just this weekend, I finished the front shock install, and rust-proofing / lining of the wheel wells and front suspension components. Right now, I feel like I have a brand new car :hello2:

Auto Transport Service
Back