• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aluminum rocker prep

Glenwood

Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
I received my new mancini alum rockers (non-bushed) and was doing an inspection of them. It looks like the oil holes will need a little deburring and I'm not sure if I should be lightly sanding the fulcrums.
Also, should the steel adjuster screws get some anti-seize? half of them are a bit tight as if they are binding.
What's the normal practice before installing, aside from pushrod length and geometry checking?

Deburring the shaft oil holes is critical. Aluminum rockers will get chewed up instantly. The adjusters should operate smoothly. I would use engine oil on them.

thanks. I was talking about the rocker oil holes but thats a good point about the shafts.

Btw, I had new steel ductile rockers which failed and have to be replaced.

sorry for your problems but i have the fix for it glenwood. send it to phoenix and i'll put new rockers on it and test drive for about 200,000 miles and then you we know its o.k. to drive.

no problem i'll make sure the top works also. but serious i would make sure extra oiling was going on those rockers to prevent rocker slop after the non bushed rockers. are these rockers special for your cam. my 440 has steel rockers and should be looking around 500 hp when done. i was a going to do that style of rocker but the shop talked me out of it being a street engine

I used my finger and some 6- or 800 grit sandpaper with a little oil on it on a few of mine, so I could feel just where to apply pressure..no problem. Put some oil on the shaft and then slide the rocker on, rotate it as you slide it. If there's still a burr it will make a little visible line in the oil film and you'll know to sand a little more. I was able to do it without taking anything off the inside of the fulcrum area. Disassemble and clean the adjuster threads, that should be done on pretty much ANY aftermarket rocker..

Along with what has been mentioned......
Mock up the entire assy, without pushrods on the heads, snug down all the hold down hardware, check for side clearance for each pair of rockers.
I shoot for .015” total per pair.

Along with what has been mentioned......
Mock up the entire assy, without pushrods on the heads, snug down all the hold down hardware, check for side clearance for each pair of rockers.
I shoot for .015” total per pair.

so, push a pair to one side and check the gap between the rocker and hold down?
Also, should the adjuster screws get some anti-seize?

so, push a pair to one side and check the gap between the rocker and hold down?
Also, should the adjuster screws get some anti-seize?

I like to leave the feeler gauges in the rockers while I`m torqueing them. I use 4 /009-.011 at the same time, have full time oiling to the heads-----------

Auto Transport Service
Back