• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Fuel Pump 101

Carter 6903 video. It very possibly could have been my pump as the dates corresponds to when I sent him my new in box fuel pump.

Last edited:
Carter 6903 video. It very possibly could have been my pump as the dates corresponds to when I sent him my new in box fuel pump.

Just like everything else that use to be of good quality Carter has succumbed as well. Great information and an eye opener. Thank you for posting!

Thank you for this. Funny how it takes awhile for the word to get out but it can be a hidden problem if you don't have a fuel pressure guage. I haven't had fuel smell in my crankcase/oil since the rebuild :thumbsup:

FYI my handle's first letter is a "K" (long story) and just recently a member joined using the same handle with the "C". :)

He's actually from Sacramento where my '62 Dodge was originally sold. She's in Pa. now with me.

Thank you for this. Funny how it takes awhile for the word to get out but it can be a hidden problem if you don't have a fuel pressure guage. I haven't had fuel smell in my crankcase/oil since the rebuild :thumbsup:

FYI my handle's first letter is a "K" (long story) and just recently a member joined using the same handle with the "C". :)

He's actually from Sacramento where my '62 Dodge was originally sold. She's in Pa. now with me.

oops! Fixed. Yea no more raw gas smell on deceleration with the dual one barrels on the wife’s /6 now either. The springs I ordered had a 18Lb one that put me at 3.75lbs and it has run perfectly since.

So let me get this straight...if you order a 6903 you need to pull it apart and rebuild it??

So let me get this straight...if you order a 6903 you need to pull it apart and rebuild it??

There's a good chance it's going to have a heavy spring in it that will produce too much fuel pressure. Especially too much for a Edelbrock carb. After disassembly the diaphragms were shown to be incorrectly installed by having oblong screw holes. It's all in this thread.

Yep, I viewed the video...talked to Tom today about finding a date coded pump for my 426...I think I'd have better luck dating the prom queen. Maybe I'll just buy a 6903 from Summit and ship it to Tom/Mike for inspection and correction if need be. I have no idea what pump I currently have and came with the car upon my purchase. Let me see if I can post a few pics of it..maybe someone can identify it.

B O stamped on bottom with Made in USA...anyone?

20210310_135721.jpg 20210310_140214.jpg

Couple of issues I have noticed as of late are she pulls hard up to around 70/75 then falls back....after about a week of sitting it takes forever to start...I am thinking the pump is allowing fuel to drain back towards the tank...choke works perfect, 650 AVS2, electric for now until my original AFB comes back from Arizona restored.

79 dollars !! 440 source sells their house brand for $ 13 and comp cams for 29.95 $79 that's crazy Don't care what his name is $79 is still crazy

If Rick is selling something for a little more $$$ than others there is a good reason. His parts are always correct, fit & function like their supposed to. Just my experience.

Exactly what happened to me. I had him rebuild 2 brand new ones. Bunch of crap on Carter's end imo.

I just realized today I am looking for the wrong pump for my 64 426-S...I need an MS-3672S which is the crimped style not rebuildable or so some say.

20210318_125032.jpg 20210318_125126.jpg

Last edited:
So I called Then And Now about rebuilding my Carter 6903 from Mike Casella. They told me Mike retired last year and Tom is rebuilding them now. Anybody had there fuel pump rebuilt by them lately?

So I called Then And Now about rebuilding my Carter 6903 from Mike Casella. They told me Mike retired last year and Tom is rebuilding them now. Anybody had there fuel pump rebuilt by them lately?
I had 2 done last October. I believe it was Tom who did mine.

Any problems with them? Just asking because Mike was the main man to rebuild them.
I haven't run them yet. There really isn't much to rebuilding them. Mike made a video showing what all is involved, I think it is posted earlier in this thread.

Not hyjack but ,how long will the Bronze tip comp cams fuel pump push rod last on the on street . M4862 pump on a 451 with sixpack and a hemi return fuel filter the kind that has 1/4 return nipple ?

Not hyjack but ,how long will the Bronze tip comp cams fuel pump push rod last on the on street . M4862 pump on a 451 with sixpack and a hemi return fuel filter the kind that has 1/4 return nipple ?

I believe the bronze tip is for the roller cams.

Auto Transport Service
Back