• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Fuel Pump 101

Yes I agree but what I am asking will the bronze tip live on the street with a roller cam?
Or is it just for drag racing?

If you're running a roller cam and using a bronze distributor gear and bronze tip fuel pump rod then you'll need to inspect both periodically when running on the street. Depending on how much driving and how hard you are on things will dictate how often you need to inspect. I believe Mancini has yet another pushrod for roller cams that isn't bronze but a little harder.

Hopefully someone who is running a roller will chime in.

Hey Kid, do you know if the Edelbrock pump is the same performance wise as the m6903? I'm in the market for a new pump and 6903 is on backorder.

Hey Kid, do you know if the Edelbrock pump is the same performance wise as the m6903? I'm in the market for a new pump and 6903 is on backorder.

From my first post in this thread...

Then I looked at the Edelbrock 1722 (same pump again) and it's rated @ 6 psi. Did a little more research on this pump and the ratings are about 50/50 on quality and function. I also found out Edelbrock had Carter make this pump with a lighter spring just for the fact Eddies don't like more than 6 psi. (I'm not liking the ratings)

It's your decision.

Thanks, yes I have run that pump before and it put fuel into my crankcase. I have run a quick fuel 110gph and an 800 AVS for several years now, it's been good but I think I need more volume to feed this 950 double pumper I installed. I will probably go with the 6903 as there are no other choices for high flow mechanical on a big block Chrysler.

So I called Then And Now about rebuilding my Carter 6903 from Mike Casella. They told me Mike retired last year and Tom is rebuilding them now. Anybody had there fuel pump rebuilt by them lately?

Just got my airtex back from rebuild
DSC06705.JPG
, nice company

Just installed a made in USA m6903 from Roseville moparts, had to bump the starter to get it installed the spring is crazy stiff compared to the quick fuel. Fire up, 11psi and bowl fuel level high in the sight glass. Have to run regulator... But plenty of fuel for the 499.

Any trick to getting the pushrod out? Mine moves some but seems to hit a pretty firm stop on the way out.
My guess is the other end might be burred up a little??

I assume you removed the plug? The plug is just below the pump opening, most are hex head a few square drive. Maybe get needle nosed pliers to get a hold of it? That should be able to move it enough. your replacing correct?

I did take the plug out. Grabbed with a needle nose pliers but still can’t get it out

Try to spray a little GumOut up the rod. Work it back and forth a bit. Could just be carbon on the end holding it in. (Fingers crossed)

I did take the plug out. Grabbed with a needle nose pliers but still can’t get it out
Could be a bit mushroomed. May have use vice grip needle nose to get it out. Sucks for sure.

I’ll get back at it tomorrow. Was hoping for a simple solution but planned for the worst.

Mushroomed no doubt.

Since the engine is in the car and I don’t plan on taking the cam out, I’ll probably have to go with an electric pump for now.

Since the pushrod is supposed to be over 3” long, I assume I can leave it in and install a block off plate with no worry of it ever falling into the engine.

Use a box end wrench, with some leverage it will come out

Use a box end wrench, with some leverage it will come out
Having said that.... mine was a comp cams rod that failed 1 mile from my house. about 1000 miles or so..
Bought three old stock mopar rods, they where expensive but going on 5 to 7 g in miles and no probs....

Auto Transport Service
Back