• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Autowire Upgrade

Texas charger 73

Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
This weekend I started a project with my 1973 Dodge Charger.. i had already by passed the ammeter, but i wanted to convert to rallye gauges and instead of putting a 50 yr old harness back in i went ahead and started a wiring upgrade... the kit is very detailed and actually not to bad on directions.. so far i have the cluster, dash and ignition done.. next up is to install the dash and start on the rear harness... then on to ignition, charging and front lights... this kit also eliminates the ammeter and converts to a one wire which i like... it also eliminates the key in buzzer, door buzzer and seatbelt light. i will post more as i complete more..... does anyone have a neutral safety switch pigtail, oil pressure sending unit and water temp sending unit they would like to part with?

standard.jpg
dash1.jpg
dashonbench.jpg
rallye.jpg
boxofwires.jpg
layedout.jpg
dashnocluster.jpg
cluster.jpg
harnesscomplete.jpg
wings.jpg

i have rewired the dash, converted to Rallye gauges, wired rear lights, front lights... now I'm down to engine harness and ignition... which i will be replacing the and the ballast with a MSD Streetfire box and i have to find me a 1 wire alternator....

new dash.jpg
old harness car.jpg
old harness.jpg

American Autowire Harness is installed and everything works flawless except wiper motor.. im pretty sure it is a ground issue.. i will figure it out and if not i will come here for knowledge.... anyways i have about 55 hrs total invested in removing old wiring, dash and install new wires and crimping a lot of the ends...The great thing about this harness is that it completely eliminates the Ammeter and converts to a single wire alternator.. i still need a voltmeter gauge and the American autowire heat/ac secondary harness and a few bulbs. .. While i was in there i went ahead took out all the ignition and put in a MSD Street fire box as well.... This has been a fun adventure...

newlights1.jpg
newlights4.jpg
newlights3.jpg
newlights.jpg

newlights2.jpg

Tap the wiper motor a couple times with a hammer or ratchet, I had the same issue on my car, and give it a few taps, now it works flawlessly!
:lol:

Beautiful car btw!

Nice work! Great looking Charger! I'm contemplating on this same upgrade. I just needs to get mine running before venture down this road.

You don't have to use a one-wire alternator. Just use a voltage regulator pigtail and wire the green lead to a field terminal on a regular Mopar alternator and the blue lead to ignition power and to the other field terminal. I put the voltage regulator on the inner fender apron below and behind the horns.
charging harness.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back