• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Car Prospector

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
I may piss off some folks who like the lead actor but the American Car Prospector is such a comedy I actually love to watch it. "Hey mister can I touch your four four two?" he said pensively.

I watch it because the guy is such an incredible goof I just love it. I just re-watched the episode where he bought a 66 318 Charger with the windshield out and a 361 in it and 1/4 of the hood was solid rust where the paint was missing (car sitting outside for years) for $8K. The show then stamped their recap of the deal and called it a "very rare 68 Charger that was worth $25K" granted they meant restored but still. No offense intended to 66 Charger owners.

Looked like at best a ~$3K car to me but they are so expensive to restore I don't know.

What do you guys think?

I think that guy is such a tool. Every car he sees he says is in great condition no matter how crappy it is. Guess he's flipping everything he buys to overseas buyers.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife hates that show but I think it's kind of funny.

I think that guy is such a tool. Every car he sees he says is in great condition no matter how crappy it is. Guess he's flipping everything he buys to overseas buyers.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife hates that show but I think it's kind of funny.

I keep trying to get my wife to watch it for the laughs!

I feel the same as you.2500. dollar car. Luminescent dash is even missing.And the fool thinks he can flip it for a 3 g profit. What a moron.

Haven't seen it. What channel airs it? Sounds like a good laugh. Hell my wife would'a laughed watching him pay $8000 for something like that and be happy about it!

I don't think I get Velocity. I'll check through the list. What days / times is it on?

I don't pay attention to the times but it's usually on in the evening probably around 7 or 8. It replayed a few times tonight so I switched to on demand and was watching Red River on TCM to watch anther guy in a cowboy hat that's not a goof.

That goof with the cowboy hat & boots is just irritating to me. I watched 2 or 3 episodes & every scenario (where he buys a car) in each episode is exactly the same and each new episode is the same as the previous one. To me, it's almost as bad as Graveyard Carz.

And what would you do if you seen that "DUDE" sneaking around your garage or property? I would tell him that my rusty 48 Plymouth was rare and worth 15 thou, and let him beat me down to 12 thou, and laugh all the way to the bank! hahaha

Would love to see this show your all talking about but we don't get it here in the uk. We get most of your shows which are pretty cool. I guess the UK's equivalent of what your all talking about would be a show called "wheeler dealers" where the fat guy mike who knows F'all about cars buys a pile of shite and then hands it over to a poor guy called ed to fix them up. I think you guys get that show over there so you'll know just how much of a gimp mike really is. Is he on par with the guy in that show your chatting about?

I guess we don't get that one on our side of the border but we do get:

The Car Chasers - About as lame as it gets finds cars and sends them to auction... some decent cars but the characters on the show are just plain annoying

Fantom Works - The owner of the shop is just obnoxious

Gas Monkey - Mildly Amusing.... I like everyone but the owner Richard who I find a bit Pompous and clueless

Restoration Garage - Shot locally for us in Canada at The Guild of Automotive Restorers... Nice cars but too much Made for TV drama... and hard to believe you let a toothless fool manage a high end shop (apparently he's been fired)

And Count's Customs.... I don't like what he does with some of the cars but easily the most amusing

Adam pretty much but i think the wheeler dealer guy knows a little more about cars. I've watched that show a few times including the one where he buys a 68 or 69 charger and brings it over there to fix up and sell.

never heard of it or seen it

My wife said the guy on American Car Prospector creeps her out, especially when he walks up to a car and says "Hello gorgeous". I get a kick out of Wheeler Dealers and if you look at the credits Ed China(the mechanic) is the producer. If you count his labor they don't make money but I enjoy the mechanical aspect. I DVR the show so I can fast forward parts if it gets too irritating. Just my 2 cents worth.

Would love to see this show your all talking about but we don't get it here in the uk. We get most of your shows which are pretty cool. I guess the UK's equivalent of what your all talking about would be a show called "wheeler dealers" where the fat guy mike who knows F'all about cars buys a pile of shite and then hands it over to a poor guy called ed to fix them up. I think you guys get that show over there so you'll know just how much of a gimp mike really is. Is he on par with the guy in that show your chatting about?

I love Mike and Ed on Wheeler Dealers. It's actually my favorite of these cars shows. I like ACP too because the guy is so damn awkward its funny.

- - - Updated - - -

The Car Chasers - About as lame as it gets finds cars and sends them to auction... some decent cars but the characters on the show are just plain annoying

Gas Monkey - Mildly Amusing.... I like everyone but the owner Richard who I find a bit Pompous and clueless

Restoration Garage - Shot locally for us in Canada at The Guild of Automotive Restorers... Nice cars but too much Made for TV drama... and hard to believe you let a toothless fool manage a high end shop (apparently he's been fired)

And Count's Customs.... I don't like what he does with some of the cars but easily the most amusing

Gas monkey is another show I do like esp the dragon lady and I like Richard. It's like he doesn't take himself too seriously. I wouldn't mind if the got someone to replace the blond intern though .. at least someone with a personality better than a wet, musty old blanket.

- - - Updated - - -

That goof with the cowboy hat & boots is just irritating to me. I watched 2 or 3 episodes & every scenario (where he buys a car) in each episode is exactly the same and each new episode is the same as the previous one. To me, it's almost as bad as Graveyard Carz.

I'm watching GC now .. they are focusing way more on the cars now and less on the dipshit blond dude who doesn't do anything nut whine. The owner is still an *** clown but does at least know Mopars.

I agree ..I love car shows but there getting more stupid all the time ..they ALL have impossible deadlines that if they don't make it ..well they'll all just explode ..the desert one makes me laugh they have just 3 days till auction oh my god ..the thing is they have an auction every 3 weeks so who cares if you miss this one ?? ..and the gas monkey guy worries about his expenses ( and the prices are crazy to begin with) the guy is a millionaire himself sold his other business for 8 million a few years ago so I would worry about a few grand ...love to see the cars but hard to watch these shows ..wheeler dealers get a kick out of that show ..good mechanic

I may piss off some folks who like the lead actor but the American Car Prospector is such a comedy I actually love to watch it. "Hey mister can I touch your four four two?" he said pensively.

I watch it because the guy is such an incredible goof I just love it. I just re-watched the episode where he bought a 66 318 Charger with the windshield out and a 361 in it and 1/4 of the hood was solid rust where the paint was missing (car sitting outside for years) for $8K. The show then stamped their recap of the deal and called it a "very rare 68 Charger that was worth $25K" granted they meant restored but still. No offense intended to 66 Charger owners.

Looked like at best a ~$3K car to me but they are so expensive to restore I don't know.

What do you guys think?

"Hello Gorgeous" when he 1st sees the cars, it's an OK show, better than the Kardasians or Amer. Idol or some other lame show...LOL... Yes he pays too much for a bunch of the stuff, he's just a flipper/broker, finder/prospector, not the end buyer, if a buyer gives him a budget, that he can stay within, then he buys & makes his finders fee... $8k for the 1966 Charger was way too much, for it's condition, the TV listing even said 1968 Charger, bad editing & research, it's highly doubtful $25k for that car, even after restored... sorry 66 Charger guys, not knocking on your cars, I like 1966-67 Chargers, they just don't usually bring very good money...

Auto Transport Service
Back