• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An old girlfriend is asking for car buying advice.

SteveSS

Local time
7:39 PM
Reaction score
I gave a lot of suggestions but I'd like to hear from you too. Although she is fairly wealthy I suggested everything from a cheap new Kia to a used Dodge Challenger. At 66, she is not really into cars. She tends to go for convertibles because she is pretty and knows it. It's a show-off thing. She spends her winters in Florida so 4WD is not necessary. The car will stay in Florida unused for half of the year. The car has to be able to hold a set of golf clubs.

Here's some I said.

Used.
Nissan 370Z and the Infiniti G37.
Convertible Mustang from 2015 on.
A Dodge Challenger but not to the level of a Hellcat.
She doesn't like Camaros like a lot of people, it's like sitting in a well.

New
A cheap Kia as a throwaway car. Add some theft protection.
The Toyota 86 Subaru BRZ twins.

Her late-model VW Bug is starting to break down too much.

She could order a convertible conversion. Not cheap, but maybe order a V6 Chall for a lower starting price...

I feel like you should post a pic of her..

Those bugs are terribly built. They were not made to be maintained... very hard to work on and a lot of plastic stuff that should be metal in order to last. Whatever she chooses.... choose it soon.

I like the Challengers and Chargers but, the biggest problem for me personally is they're are too easy too steal and break into. From what I've read it's just not Scat Packs and Hellcats that are getting stolen or attempted to be stolen. I've heard the same about even V6 and 5.7L Hemi cars.

The convertible Mustang is alright. I've driven two with the EcoBoost 4 cylinder. The best mpg I got with the automatic was 25 mpg in a convertible. That platform of Mustang has some issues including the engine. Not sure if it has the same issues as the Focus ST 2.3L Ecoboost. If she's needing just a "car" what about a Toyota like a Corolla or Camry? The Infiniti G37 would be alright but, it will drink some fuel as well and quality might be iffy considering Nissan/Infiniti has ownership with Renault. Also, any consideration for a Lexus?

Regarding the Camaros, the biggest of the Camaros to me is the 2010-2015 model. After that, I do believe they got smaller and I'm not a fan of newer transmission I had in a 3.6L V6 rental car. The biggest questions I have is what is her budget and how old is she willing to go back?

Nissan 370Z and the Infiniti G37 are both very nice, reliable and fun to drive.

I would suggest an Asian convertible or small SUV. Since it will sit a lot, prolly unattended , those seem to me to be good at that. Those would be much less a target left alone than maybe a Lexus or BMW type vehicle . Had a friend that had his 69 Camaro stolen from his locked attached garage one season he was back home, not snowbirding, down south.

She sounds a lot like my wife, who loved VW bugs in her 20s. Now her vehicle of choice is a small Lexus sedan, unlike the prospective buyer she doesn't care for convertibles for her own driving, but likes the look. The theft factor is a valid consideration. Where I live, it isn't a factor, but I nearly had my late model Camry stolen out of a hotel parking lot 20 years ago, and wouldn't want to repeat the experience.

She sounds a lot like my wife, who loved VW bugs in her 20s. Now her vehicle of choice is a small Lexus sedan, unlike the prospective buyer she doesn't care for convertibles for her own driving, but likes the look. The theft factor is a valid consideration. Where I live, it isn't a factor, but I nearly had my late model Camry stolen out of a hotel parking lot 20 years ago, and wouldn't want to repeat the experience.
The reason why i asked about the Lexus is because I was going to suggest an SC400 or SC430 just based upon what I've seen. Not sure about parts availability on those or the current market. Not the best looking car but, it's a hardtop convertible and supposedly, decent from what I hear anyways.

I gave a lot of suggestions but I'd like to hear from you too. Although she is fairly wealthy I suggested everything from a cheap new Kia to a used Dodge Challenger. At 66, she is not really into cars. She tends to go for convertibles because she is pretty and knows it. It's a show-off thing. She spends her winters in Florida so 4WD is not necessary. The car will stay in Florida unused for half of the year. The car has to be able to hold a set of golf clubs.

Here's some I said.

Used.
Nissan 370Z and the Infiniti G37.
Convertible Mustang from 2015 on.
A Dodge Challenger but not to the level of a Hellcat.
She doesn't like Camaros like a lot of people, it's like sitting in a well.

New
A cheap Kia as a throwaway car. Add some theft protection.
The Toyota 86 Subaru BRZ twins.

Her late-model VW Bug is starting to break down too much.
Is she in Colorado? Does she need something that get's around good in the snow?

The reason why i asked about the Lexus is because I was going to suggest an SC400 or SC430 just based upon what I've seen. Not sure about parts availability on those or the current market. Not the best looking car but, it's a hardtop convertible and supposedly, decent from what I hear anyways.
The SC400 is coupe only, it's the SC430 with the retractable roof, like the one in Terminator III
1671206318127.png

My wife considered one of these a few years back, was impressed when we met a couple who had 200,000 miles on their SC430 and loved it. My wife drove small Toyotas before changing to Lexus, and decided she preferred four door cars. Her current ride is an IS250.

is she a single gal? asking for a friend he would love florida this time of the year

She is not single, she spends summers in Kansas City. A Mercedes convertible is her Kansas car.

I like the Challengers and Chargers but, the biggest problem for me personally is they're are too easy too steal and break into. From what I've read it's just not Scat Packs and Hellcats that are getting stolen or attempted to be stolen. I've heard the same about even V6 and 5.7L Hemi cars.

The convertible Mustang is alright. I've driven two with the EcoBoost 4 cylinder. The best mpg I got with the automatic was 25 mpg in a convertible. That platform of Mustang has some issues including the engine. Not sure if it has the same issues as the Focus ST 2.3L Ecoboost. If she's needing just a "car" what about a Toyota like a Corolla or Camry? The Infiniti G37 would be alright but, it will drink some fuel as well and quality might be iffy considering Nissan/Infiniti has ownership with Renault. Also, any consideration for a Lexus?

Regarding the Camaros, the biggest of the Camaros to me is the 2010-2015 model. After that, I do believe they got smaller and I'm not a fan of newer transmission I had in a 3.6L V6 rental car. The biggest questions I have is what is her budget and how old is she willing to go back?
My daily driver is a 2015 Camaro SS convertible. I like it and it looks good top up or down.

Mazda Miata or Honda S2000 if she likes a smaller car. Most are convertibles already. Not sure they came with automatics if she needs that.
Lots of suggestions for a Z car. Not sure if the new 400Z has a convertible option or not.

Mercedes SL convertibles are nice if she can afford the maint. prices.
If she wants people to look at her she could get a Chrysler Crossfire. Mostly a Mercedes anyway underneath, but not much like it out there looks wise.

My wife has a Mercedes. Overrated, second rate cars with high maintenance costs. I would not recommend one at all. Hence my recommendation for the Mustang V6 convt.

benz4.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back