• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And I wonder why I do everything myself!

That is absolutely beautiful, beautiful home!!! I can see a roof like that not being cheap at all, lots of little pieces and fragile pieces at that.
X2.

The house I live in now had a metal roof put on top of the asphalt shingle roof. I found out later it was to fix the leaks from bullet holes. Yes! A Feud with the neighbors I was told. I'm just hoping that it holds up. Re roofing prices are ridiculous!

On the metal roof on my house 10 years ago I got a quote of $18,000.
I used to be a framing carpenter for 20 years so I did do it myself.
Total material cost $3,500

In my 50s I put 3 additions on my house, one was a 2 story addition with balcony. I did all of the framing, electrical, plumbing, tile roofing and finishing my self. The only thing I contracted was the foundation concrete and the stucco outside. I saved over $100,000 vs contractor estimates. That was 15 years ago, I can't even imagine what would be the costs today.

Rolland

suck it up..... it never ends........it also keeps you moving

I'm picking up on that.
in the past month, I rebuilt the top end of my air compressor and gave it some much needed love..... house A/C puked on the hottest day, troubleshoot and repair was down for less than a day, while messing with A/C I discovered water heater leaking. installed a new one........ how much did I save? the A/C issue was a major hosing waiting to happen
Preaching to the choir. :poke:

roofing has gone crazy there all over the place 45x65 barn metal up to 35000.00+ and 25000.00 shingles and no cutters included and I question them stripping down and what is going to be under layment and they go nuts o as for the house also most the same and when covid hit boy did the prices go sky high and trying to scheduling when ever down the ,in a holding pattern right now ,I did the last roofing on both but at my age wife doesn't wont it to happen. ask dadsbee what his cost ,ask if there insured to
These guys were on it, they spent 15 minutes in the truck after measuring and came back with a folder containing the quote, insurance, etc. Very professional, very pricey.

Last edited:
I'm a gluten for punishment! When I first got married I hadn't really established myself, lived in a trailer, didn't have a whole lot so stretching my money was key meaning doing everything myself. We built our home from the basement to the top, no contractors, rebuilt salvaged cars, etc. I'm not complaining because it resulted in us being debt free with more than we could otherwise afford.

Fast forward to today where time is flying by because of me taking on to much (constantly working)... I'm wanting to slow down and enjoy the simple things and start farming some of this out. So our roof is in need of replacement and I tell the wife.. I ain't doing it! Just had our first quote for a new metal roof, I just threw out a guess to the wife of $15,000? Yeah right, 31,000!!!:eek:

Looks like I'll be eating that "I ain't doing it"! How do people do it? We borrowed $35,000 to build our home, $31,000 just for a roof!

Might want to try and put it off for a while, construction materials are through the roof. I'm working on my FY22 budget and am seeing price increases 40-50% over last year.

I ordered my pole barn 4 months ago prices are increasing every couple weeks around 12-15 thousand i just bit the bullet. And it will take 8months or so to start it and I’m sure that will push out cause everyone is spending $

Might want to try and put it off for a while, construction materials are through the roof. I'm working on my FY22 budget and am seeing price increases 40-50% over last year.
That's where I'm at right now, I know it's going up again in the next few months but does anybody know if or when it's going down? I absolutely want a new roof within a year so it's a gamble either way.

We just had our roof replaced.
It cost me 5k more then I could have done it myself, at 56 years old in the Florida heat, my wife insisted I farm it out.
I really don't want her next husband to get all my stuff if I died, so we stroked the check to the roofing company.
Those guys had to tear off 2 layers of shingles, had the whole job done in 4 days start to finish.

COVID sure disrupted a lot of supply chains, I wonder if and how much prices will settle back to?

Hopefully we aren't caught in a hyperinflation wave for much longer.

When i read this, i had to check your age. I'm 57, and feel the same way. I recently bought a truck to fix up & flip. Now, i've decided to sell it as is.
I was 55 when I retired and still felt pretty good except for my back. It felt much better after I stopped abusing it at work but 15 years later it's not feeling all too good anymore.

I wasn't to far out in front of you, 2002 I believe? Concrete was $55 a yard at that time.
Concrete was 50 in 84 when dad and I built my shop. In 84 I was 33 and he was 63 and now I know why he didn't like getting up on the top to start up the ridge board. Once we got that up and braced, I was up there by myself with him on the ground cutting and handing up the 16' joists and rafters. Uh...the joists were over lapped to make a trussed roof that would stand up to what I was going to do and it did and still does. Just don't do that all that much these days.

I'm 45 and still very much capable, my problem is it hasn't stopped in the last 20 years. I'm burned out on working 48-50 a week then coming home to more of it.
I did some long weeks on turnarounds and on emergency call outs....it sucks to come home to more work after all that.

in the past month, I rebuilt the top end of my air compressor and gave it some much needed love..... house A/C puked on the hottest day, troubleshoot and repair was down for less than a day, while messing with A/C I discovered water heater leaking. installed a new one........ how much did I save? the A/C issue was a major hosing waiting to happen
Oh man, my AC is getting old and my water heater is even much older and the roof is over 20!

suck it up..... it never ends........it also keeps you moving
Yup, it does keep you moving but that also wears you out. It sucks when you pull a muscle and have to take it easy for a few days because then you have to get moving again and that gets hard and harder with each occurrence. The back muscles are the worse to pull too and are usually the ones that do it the most with me. A couple of years ago I was going to help a guy pick up a large box of parts and he being an ox jerked that thing up off the floor and it tilted toward me and so much for a muscle in my left arm. Took 2 months to quit bothering me. Now every time I help him or he helps me I remind him to let me take the lead in the dance lol

I was 55 when I retired and still felt pretty good except for my back. It felt much better after I stopped abusing it at work but 15 years later it's not feeling all too good anymore.

Concrete was 50 in 84 when dad and I built my shop. In 84 I was 33 and he was 63 and now I know why he didn't like getting up on the top to start up the ridge board. Once we got that up and braced, I was up there by myself with him on the ground cutting and handing up the 16' joists and rafters. Uh...the joists were over lapped to make a trussed roof that would stand up to what I was going to do and it did and still does. Just don't do that all that much these days.

I did some long weeks on turnarounds and on emergency call outs....it sucks to come home to more work after all that.

Oh man, my AC is getting old and my water heater is even much older and the roof is over 20!

Yup, it does keep you moving but that also wears you out. It sucks when you pull a muscle and have to take it easy for a few days because then you have to get moving again and that gets hard and harder with each occurrence. The back muscles are the worse to pull too and are usually the ones that do it the most with me. A couple of years ago I was going to help a guy pick up a large box of parts and he being an ox jerked that thing up off the floor and it tilted toward me and so much for a muscle in my left arm. Took 2 months to quit bothering me. Now every time I help him or he helps me I remind him to let me take the lead in the dance lol
Honestly for me it isn't even taking on the big jobs that bothers me, it's the jobs left unfinished. I've always been eager to jump into just about anything but in the last several years I have unfinished jobs piling up all around me and it drives me mad.

A few years ago I started a restoration for my dad (his truck) then because of him retiring and my brother getting a divorce they started occupying the garage making it impossible for me to work so I started building my own garage and eventually moved the truck project into it. Before I could finish either we decided to install an outdoor boiler, then with a growing family we finish the basement adding a bedroom, laundry room, bathroom and a rec room pushing the garage even farther to the side. Wasn't long before the wife wanted hardwood in the living room (carpet was getting old) which snowballed into a radiant heat floor which led to raising doors, stairs, etc and it just keeps going. We recently added another little guy to the mix so talks of adding on yet again with an attached garage with living space above has begun..:BangHead:

It's all good, I'm extremely blessed just need to finish a bunch of stuff before biting off even more.

And one more thing, the daughter just turned 15 and we haven't even touched her 72 Satty.. tic toc, time is running out!

I'm 45 and still very much capable, my problem is it hasn't stopped in the last 20 years. I'm burned out on working 48-50 a week then coming home to more of it.
I absolutely agree it keeps you moving. However, after working 50-60 hrs a week, who wants to go home and bust your *** even more. Make a list,, finish one job at a time. That’s the only way it works for me. Lol

Yep I'm of the same mind,
I like & have done almost everything on my own
when I was a tad bit younger, I just had the mind set
go do it, git r' dun
I don't trust most people or other contractors
doing it properly or in a timely manner

many are rip off artists too (sad to say)

so I do 99% myself
plumbing roofing carpentry windows doors decks
electrical (not the best electrician, but I will ask if I don't know exactly how)
plaster drywall tile & even "fucken' paint" etc.
short of rug/carpeting, I did or use to to do it all
edited;
fortunately, my cousin Stan, lives like 11 miles upcountry
he is a great Concrete guy, a really good carpenter too
so he helps occasionally, when it's needed

partially you can't even get contractors to even bid on smaller jobs
& I won't let some 'day worker' or handyman do it

Then there's the "it's crazy how they don't return calls
or even answer the damn phones, like they don't want to make $$$ too"
I hear it constantly from people

I'm retired, I do mine not others anymore

I'm getting of the age
I'm not enjoying working on crap constantly either
I feel like I've done my pentance

I truly hate to paint, it's not hard, I just don't like it
or the prep sanding & set up, in doing it all too...
I will probably pay some local kids to help me do it
I think that's a breakthrough even for me
letting even that much go...

My Redwood decks & handrails need repair
winter snows & brutal sun are extremely hard on them
the decks are near 20+ years old now too
& lumber prices 'is nuts right now', especially Redwood prices
I built both decks front & back
for just what the repairs "for just the Redwood/lumber cost is right now"
Unfortunately, that will have to wait...

I feel your pain Devlin

Last edited:
Yep I'm of the same mind,
I like & have done almost everything on my own
when I was a tad bit ypounger, I just had the mind set
go do it, git r' dun
I don't trust most people or other contractors
doing it properly or in a timely manner

so I do 99% myself
plumbing roofing carpentry windows doors decks
electrical (not the best electrician, I will ask if I don't know exactly how)
plaster drywall tile & even paint etc.
short of rug/carpeting, I did or use to to do it all

partially you can't even get contractors to even bid on smaller jobs
& I won't let some 'day worker' or handyman do it
crazy how they don't return calls or even answer the damn phones
I hear it constantly for people

I'm retired, I do mine not others anymore

I'm getting of the age
I'm not enjoying working on crap constantly

I hate to paint,
or the prep in doing it too
I will probably pay some kids to help me do it
I think that's a breakthrough even for me

My Redwood decks & handrails need repair
winter snows & brutal sun are hard on them
& lumber is nuts right now, especially Redwood prices
I built both decks front & back
for just what the repairs "lumber cost is right now"
that will have to wait

I feel your pain Devlin
Funny you should mention decks, we built one many years ago.. it was looking rough this spring so I handed the kids sledge hammers and told them to get rid of it. We ended up heating the house with it for a month :thumbsup:. It's just beautiful grass now, lawn mower keeps it in tip top shape. It's one of those things where we thought it would be nice but hardly used it so out it goes.. one less thing.

Last edited:
Have you been living under a rock ?!?! Steel has more than doubled in price since December. Metal roofing has long been way more expensive than shingles. In my experience, labor on construction projects is usually twice the cost of materials.

Honestly for me it isn't even taking on the big jobs that bothers me, it's the jobs left unfinished. I've always been eager to jump into just about anything but in the last several years I have unfinished jobs piling up all around me and it drives me mad.

A few years ago I started a restoration for my dad (his truck) then because of him retiring and my brother getting a divorce they started occupying the garage making it impossible for me to work so I started building my own garage and eventually moved the truck project into it. Before I could finish either we decided to install an outdoor boiler, then with a growing family we finish the basement adding a bedroom, laundry room, bathroom and a rec room pushing the garage even farther to the side. Wasn't long before the wife wanted hardwood in the living room (carpet was getting old) which snowballed into a radiant heat floor which led to raising doors, stairs, etc and it just keeps going. We recently added another little guy to the mix so talks of adding on yet again with an attached garage with living space above has begun..:BangHead:

It's all good, I'm extremely blessed just need to finish a bunch of stuff before biting off even more.

And one more thing, the daughter just turned 15 and we haven't even touched her 72 Satty.. tic toc, time is running out!
Pretty much the same here and is one of the reasons my car hasn't had much love over the years. Just about every time I got heavy into working on it, it would get pushed to the back burner whenever the wife wanted me to help her with something. That 'something' usually turned into a long term project. I got frustrated with all the projects and farmed some stuff out only to have to redo the stuff or plain take over to get it done right.

When we had the house remodeled I had a friend to oversee it but one thing after another threw a wrench into it. Heck, a really good sheet rock guy got hurt kinda bad in a car wreck with another that was driving that was also here working. Now my house has a different texture in the bedrooms than the den etc. The guy that did the floors didn't know how to figure angles. What??? I ended up finishing all the stuff he couldn't do including all the baseboards. The cabinet guy turned out to be a newbie after talking about how experienced he was. The wife still had more she wanted to do but I told her I'm done throwing money at this place and not getting what we wanted. She wanted to add on too but the kids were nearly grown and moving on so why enlarge the place. Probably another reason why she left.....she didn't like being told no but I got tired of telling her yes.

Funny you should mention decks, we built one many years ago.. it was looking rough this spring so I handed the kids sledge hammers and told them to get rid of it. We ended up heating the house with it for a month :thumbsup:. It's just beautiful grass now, lawn mower keeps it in tip top shape. It's one of those things where we thought it would be nice but hardly used it so out it goes.. one less thing.
I can tell,
I've seen some of the projects you did/shared on here too
you're a true craftsman too, a man of many talents...

(automotive & construction alike)

Sometimes it's really hard to let go...
Let people help or pay someone to help...

Mine is more a trust issue now, than anything anymore
the budget now, especially that I'm retired 'is extremely important too'
far less income coming in
I'm sure the budget is a concern, for a man with a growing family too...
Every lil' thing helps & adds up fast now...

My house has gravel surrounding it
for a fire break mostly, no lawns to speak of...

I thought of downsizing the decks too
especially the front deck, it's rarely even used
I could put just a nice stairs & landing approach in
& be done with it...

I could fill the space with a different color gravel :poke:

I'm thinking of doing some of the Faux Rock 'siding"
mainly for added insulation & I like the aesthetics of rock
(I don't need the labor or cost or real rock)
sort of a 'ledgestone' look, on the southeastern exposure
& front side of the garage & house, it gets a lot of
'the brunt of the cold & especially heat/sun', the back isn't as bad
& it's good for 25+ years
(they claim like 50, I doubt that)
'no paint' with a better insulation value :poke: win-win

Have you been living under a rock ?!?! Steel has more than doubled in price since December. Metal roofing has long been way more expensive than shingles. In my experience, labor on construction projects is usually twice the cost of materials.
Not at all, built a steel sided garage not long ago and fully expected it to be higher but $31,000? Also keep in mind I've never dealt with contractors, always heard double the material cost but even that shouldn't equal what the quote was. I'll have material cost and an additional few quotes shortly.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back