• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And I wonder why I do everything myself!

My dad was my hero, and growing up it seemed there was nothing he couldn't or wouldn't do. Some of the best advice he ever gave me was "Learn how to do everything you can so you won't have to pay or trust someone else to do it." He was also a patient and wonderful teacher, instilling core values like hard work, honesty and integrity while passing on a great deal of the knowledge, how-to and common sense that's gotten me to this point in my life.

A lot that's been said already really hits home, especially about aging / aching and having more work waiting once you walk in the door from the "real" job.

An F3 wiped out the south and some of the west walls of my metal shop building in 2011 putting me out of business for five months, mainly time spent awaiting the materials to rebuild it for much longer than it took the insurance payment to arrive.

04-20-2011 tornado damage morning of.jpg

04-20-2011 tornado damage.jpg

Billy avoids ladders like The Plague so you know whose azz was up there. It might look like I knew what I was doing but it was the first roof I ever installed, metal or shingle. Now ten years since, it's better insulated and hasn't leaked once.

Shop Roof Replacement 06-29-2011.jpg

I still climb up on the roofs for yearly inspections and the occasional large branch. We rebuilt our 40'x8' deck last September (including my very first concrete slab wooooo!) and those 16"x10"x16' beams nearly did me in.

With the next birthday being #56, I can't say with any certainty that I'd do all of that roof work willingly again now -- especially 16-foot long tin sections -- except for HAVING TO (because I'll have to work at least through lunch on the day I keel over).

The only advice dad never gave me was financial, and I'm proving now to be just like him in almost every way.

Last edited:
Your brain wants to do all kinds of ****, but the body says "piss off, you had time to do this before!"...snap, crackle, pop, ow!
:rofl: Funny chit right there!

I went through those days before getting my back fixed, now it's the brain saying piss off. It's just one of those things I don't "want" to do, don't like heights, don't like cooking in the sun and don't care much for handling that large of sheets by myself. I've got friends and family that would help but when they hardly ever ask for anything you just hate putting them to work.

Hopefully the contractor that stopped last night is reasonable.

My dad was my hero, and growing up it seemed there was nothing he couldn't or wouldn't do. Some of the best advice he ever gave me was "Learn how to do everything you can so you won't have to pay or trust someone else to do it." He was also a patient and wonderful teacher, instilling core values like hard work, honesty and integrity while passing on a great deal of the knowledge, how-to and common sense that's gotten me to this point in my life.

A lot that's been said already really hits home, especially about aging / aching and having more work waiting once you walk in the door from the "real" job.

An F3 wiped out the south and some of the west walls of my metal shop building in 2011 putting me out of business for five months, mainly time spent awaiting the materials to rebuild it for much longer than it took the insurance payment to arrive.

View attachment 1141694

View attachment 1141692

Billy avoids ladders like The Plague so you know whose azz was up there. It might look like I knew what I was doing but it was the first roof I ever installed, metal or shingle. Now ten years since, it's better insulated and hasn't leaked once.

View attachment 1141693

I still climb up on the roofs for yearly inspections and the occasional large branch but with the next birthday being #56, I can't say with any certainty that I'd do all of that willingly again now except for HAVING TO (because I'll have to work at least through lunch on the day I keel over). The only advice dad never gave me was financial, and I'm proving now to be just like him in almost every way.
That's awesome, so many never have the luxury of having great parents so it's something I don't take for granted. My dad is much like yours, did everything and made sure there was always materials laying around for us to learn on. Fast forward to present, we have 2 adopted boys (1 added just last Monday), that really sheds a whole new light on just how fortunate some of us are.

Congrats on kicking that roofs *** and making it last!

View attachment 1141694

View attachment 1141692

View attachment 1141693

I still climb up on the roofs for yearly inspections and the occasional large branch but with the next birthday being #56, I can't say with any certainty that I'd do all of that willingly again now except for HAVING TO (because I'll have to work at least through lunch on the day I keel over). The only advice dad never gave me was financial, and I'm proving now to be just like him in almost every way.
You're my hero!!

There was absolutely nothing my dad could not do. Nothing.
I guess WW11 and Korea was just a warm up and test for him?
I take that back. After USMC Aviation Corp., he could never set foot back on another plane.

I don't like ladders or heights either. The farther up I go, the more I death grip with my feet through my boots. I rented a scissor lift for the tall stuff in my garage that need to be hung. 18' at the peak. I was pooped at the end of the day from the death gripping.

75BEC15D-92C8-4D95-BC17-1820E87F57BB.jpeg

I’m going to tell you how to save $30000.

Buy a metric **** ton of Flex Seal.

You’re welcome.

Last edited:
I don't like ladders or heights either. The farther up I go, the more I death grip with my feet through my boots. I rented a scissor lift for the tall stuff in my garage that need to be hung. 18' at the peak. I was pooped at the end of the day from the death gripping.

View attachment 1141769
With a lift that's like being on the ground. It's not the height that bothers me it's the getting there. Last time I had to use someone's 30 foot ladder he was told it would be the last. Just to exhausting moving the darn thing around.

I crawled up on the roof last night and got some measurements and quoted it today buying the nice stuff... textured
Legacy panel. It's basically just like your standard rib roofing but to look like a standing seam then a texture that knocks the shine off.. really neat stuff. Drum roll..... $5,500 in material so where does this $31,000 quote come from!!!

Last edited:
I'm a gluten for punishment! When I first got married I hadn't really established myself, lived in a trailer, didn't have a whole lot so stretching my money was key meaning doing everything myself. We built our home from the basement to the top, no contractors, rebuilt salvaged cars, etc. I'm not complaining because it resulted in us being debt free with more than we could otherwise afford.

Fast forward to today where time is flying by because of me taking on to much (constantly working)... I'm wanting to slow down and enjoy the simple things and start farming some of this out. So our roof is in need of replacement and I tell the wife.. I ain't doing it! Just had our first quote for a new metal roof, I just threw out a guess to the wife of $15,000? Yeah right, 31,000!!!:eek:

Looks like I'll be eating that "I ain't doing it"! How do people do it? We borrowed $35,000 to build our home, $31,000 just for a roof!

I had my roof done in 2017 it cost 28,000 then but I had to replace some wood as well as rebrick chimney and cap, plus new gutters and trim. Also they had to fix bad build of the original builder. Material prices have skyrocketed also.

I crawled up on the roof last night and got some measurements and quoted it today buying the nice stuff... textured
Legacy panel. It's basically just like your standard rib roofing but to look like a standing seam then a texture that knocks the shine off.. really neat stuff. Drum roll..... $5,500 in material so where does this $31,000 quote come from!!!
I would imagine that roofing would have the highest cost for Workmans Comp coverage. Maybe thats where the cost comes from. But....thats quite a gap between material and labor. Neighbor here had her roof redone. 1st day it got stripped and 3/4+ of the new put on. Next day they finished. Not a very big house. Maybe 800 sq ft plus garage and it does not have massive pitch like your area. Still think its a little padded though.

Have you been living under a rock ?!?! Steel has more than doubled in price since December. Metal roofing has long been way more expensive than shingles. In my experience, labor on construction projects is usually twice the cost of materials.
Knowing the material cost ($5,500)... Seems steel has very little to do with the pricing wouldn't you say? $25,500 in labor, disposal, insurance, etc?:eek:

You can definitely sort out those who do from those who don't on here.:poke:

I could almost see that out here on the left coast where you have too much regulation etc. But deffinetly not in your state.

Just did the roof in metal on our 2400 sq ft home, $5500 materials wholesale, including 8-10 sheet OSB for repairs, and about $2100 labor, 2 guys for 6 days. Everything is high here in Tx just not as high other places maybe. There went my shop/ Pine tree shade and dirt floors are free here.

Metal roofs are expensive, but they last forever. Wonder if tile would’ve been cheaper?

Just did the roof in metal on our 2400 sq ft home, $5500 materials wholesale, including 8-10 sheet OSB for repairs, and about $2100 labor, 2 guys for 6 days. Everything is high here in Tx just not as high other places maybe. There went my shop/ Pine tree shade and dirt floors are free here.
Sounds like Texas and Ohio are close, mines 2,200 sqft (basement excluded), same price.

I could have paid twice the price for the roof tin. Of that amount about $1200 was for decking repair. I could have paid $500-600 more for the OSB or plywood if I was not careful/
Step son has been trying to get bids and a roofer lined up for asphalt shingles on 1600 sq ft. Best price was $8500 and no commitment on time. Still lots of roof business in La. from their last hurricane. lol

Auto Transport Service
Back