• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And I wonder why I do everything myself!

I’ve owned a few houses that were tile roofs. Every one of those was 16 inch on center. But they did have extra beams on them to distribute the load, so I’d say you’re correct.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Fun, fun lol. Last contractor was ex Amish, super nice guy and right inline with me on politics.. yes we somehow got on that topic. Anyhow, he seemed really capable but his supplier doesn't offer the panel I want, he said he'd shop around and get back with me. The next day I went ahead and quoted the materials through the place I deal with incase I end up doing it myself, trying to be a nice guy I went ahead and forwarded all of the pricing to him incase he ended up needing a supplier. Next message I got from him was to say he's out! He says after looking over his schedule he won't have time to do it, I say bullshit! Who shows up and waste the time to measure everything if they don't have time? I think either A, he wants nothing to do with the pitch (he was questioning how he'd do it) or B, they don't like people knowing the material cost?

So 3 contractors and 1 quote so far.. 2 others who still haven't gotten back with me and another that evidently needs a week to figure it up. Not looking good for me. Both of my maintenance guys at work offered to help, might just pay them to help and get er done.

As an observation about construction in general, Billy and I converted the back screen porch into a game room in 2017 (below). It was our first try at drywall installation / finishing and truly sucked in every way, but it turned out okay.

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

The last few weeks we've been remodeling the living room.

IMG_1255.JPG

The cheesy 80s paneling was finally torn out and happily burnt (so despised for 16 years that we were tempted to dance nekkid around that fire :bananaweed:!). On Memorial weekend we started putting up the new drywall, and now I have one more round of sanding -- yay, the finish coat! -- before we can paint and lay out the new vinyl.

This story relates to yours as a form of warning. Ever since late 2014, we have contacted a total of 14 local / semi local contractors for these projects, and even a few handymen with somewhat shady reputations, as plans and ideas piled up and desperation eventually set in. Not a single contractor has ever shown up to even look at the living room job (22' x 16') let alone give an estimate. The one painter who looked at the game room -- which has more glass than wall space -- wanted $850 plus materials and said there would be over spray on the tongue-and-groove ceiling because he had no way to mask it. << side eye >>

So now after two major projects, I know how to hang and finish drywall too. Still wishing I was taller and finding occasional splinters of that &!$@ paneling in my hands, I wish you better luck finding suitable help than we've had.

I have dealt with way to many that want something for nothing on small jobs. I have no problem doing them but they have to pay more than covering expenses.
Otherwise I have plenty to do at home if I want to work for nothing.
It's a shame but some people just don't understand it.

I started a new 60x62 shop in Jan of 2020. Completed it last Dec. Contracted it myself saved a lot of money and got to pick and choose sub-contractors. I planned on building a house next door but have to wait for plywood to go down. Found a Mexican crew to put the roof on. They did it in one day and cost $1800 in labor and did a great job. Bought the materials myself. I'm at about 125k can't imagine what a contractor would have charged.

rebar1.pdf.jpg 12.jpg IMG_0163.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:
Man I feel fortunate, last year we had a new metal roof installed. $9000 for a 2100 sq ft home, standard design roof metal with gutters.

Man I feel fortunate, last year we had a new metal roof installed. $9000 for a 2100 sq ft home, standard design roof metal with gutters.

When I was getting quotes for mine, I was told that prices had gone up almost 30% since fall 2020.

Metal at Menards is double what it was even last fall. Should have brought it all then but didn't want to store it.
Funny it is up 300% from when scrap was three times what it is today.

I have dealt with way to many that want something for nothing on small jobs. I have no problem doing them but they have to pay more than covering expenses.

Hope this isn't in reference to my situation?

A few years ago I won a contract to haul a total of 22 boats from Middleton ma to lake of the Ozarks mo. While I was tying down one of the boats the seller came out and began bitching about my price. I said, look I bid these to make money and you agreed. How would you like it if I had you fix my boat and then started raking you over the coals about your $150 an hour shop rate?

Hope this isn't in reference to my situation?
Nope. Just what I have experienced with my own business. I do understand your frustrations though. Been in the making for a few years now and the pandemic just made it worse. We wanted cheap labor to be kept south of the border but that gives no reason for being redicules either.

Supplying the materials does cut out some profit for the contractor but on the other side of the equation, they are good to go as that expense is taken care of. When we did the garage, some of the materials we paid for directly and they had no problem with it. Depends on who you deal with. But still you don't want to be Ned Beatty's stunt double from Deliverance.

Auto Transport Service
Back