• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another insurance recommendation thread

Cheapsunglasses

In Rust We Trust!
Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
I just saw my car insurance spiked $50. I have 3 cars, 82 Datsun 280zx, 78 LRE, and my 68 GTX, and I use State Farm.

The Datsun is my daily driver so I don’t think I can move it to classic. But I would like to move the other 2 to classic. I’ve done some shopping around before, but the ones I’ve seen, you need a garagemahal, or the car has to be perfect, or you can’t modify, or drive your vehicle too much.

I could use some recommendations, thanks

50 up for the year??? That ain't beans in my book.....

Monthly increase, I wouldnt make a fuss about $50 over a year. And it’s for 1 daily, and 2 that only get out a couple times a month

Typically I don't complain about car insurance much, between truck & trailer and 6 vehicles I'm into it for around 1300 a month. What I've done in past is a blanket coverage. One full coverage policy that covers all no matter which I drive since not all are moving at same time. State farm use to have a mileage based coverage also. 4 of mine are covered this way since they never get over 5k a year. Think they are around 30 a month each. Good luck

Just got my annual bill from Hagerty for the (4) on my policy. $749. PM me if you want more details.

I've got 5 on my policy, through Heacock, or now American Modern. Been happy with them, Agreed Amount on all. Also, the more cars on the policy, you get a cheaper per car rate. Switched over from Hagerty, when they jumped after Hurricane hit NYC/NJ years ago...

Last edited:
It’s our hobby. It’s what we do. You always have to pay to play. Golfers greens fees get raised etc. i know quite a few guys entering retirement with no hobbies at all , now they’re bored out of their minds.
BUT , if there are any great insurance deals out there , I’m all ears
IMG_1448.png

Is that full coverage?

I don't have full coverage but I've got 4 cars on my policy and one is close to full.

My bill went up $75 last time.

Yes @YY1, I had to get all them under full coverage to get the insurance I need. Which is why I’m looking to see what my options are on classic insurance.

I don’t think some of you guys are understanding, and maybe it’s my wording. I’m not looking for a get out of jail free card. I just would like to get 2 cars on classic insurance since they don’t get driven as much, and they are classics after all lol.

But some of the issues I’ve ran into is the condition of the vehicles, and some require more than just a carport.

04935CC3-2130-41A4-BCBA-C509FB7446D6.jpeg

8C696851-83F5-4E24-A57E-2C3A5E81FFB3.jpeg

I booted SF a couple of years ago when it came out they were providing tranny publications to schools.

I'm just saying, I know people that changed companies for a lower rate and once you settle in and your on the hook, they go up. My friend made a changed a few years ago on his homeowners insurance, only to be about where he was now. They're all your best friends, with the best deal, till you need them or you settle in......... I brokered my classic car insurance on my Coronet through my regular insurance agent.

I have insured through State Farm for decades, starting when the first GTX was a daily driver. My rates got a lot better when my cars got old enough that I could license them as "Classics" in PA. Didn't bother with anything other than comprehensive and liability until recent years when the values started climbing. I don't know what your options are in Texas. In PA, the classic registration helps.

When I was living in Indiana in the 1990s, I did better by using regular registrations, and getting rates based on limited use. Didn't carry collision coverage at that time, even with the 1960 300F. I have probably gotten rate relief by having a long standing claim free record, as well as being old, married, and a "full line" customer.

When I was your age I had the same problem the previous post mentioned, and shopped the market, was surprised when State Farm gave me the best deal.

As Hey-O said cheap for a while then nickel and dime you. Two can play the game but you have be willing to switch companies. With the number vehicles you have a home owners? insurance you should look around. After they N&D you a few times look around, at $1300 a month you could save a lot.

Shop around. Hagerty, JC Taylor, Grundy, American Collectors, etc. and others... should be one of them that would suit your needs.

A lot of 1300 is for truck and trailer. Multi million dollar coverage. Without looking cars around 300 total month. Just saying in my world 50 a month isn't worth mentioning but there are different ways to save. Blanket, mileage, classic etc. I'd be calling several places to see what companies have to offer if it's a concern for your situation. Sometimes if homeowners is bundled saves also but mine is seperate
As Hey-O said cheap for a while then nickel and dime you. Two can play the game but you have be willing to switch companies. With the number vehicles you have a home owners? insurance you should look around. After they N&D you a few times look around, at $1300 a month you could save a lot

Those here must realize that more and
more states are allowing drivers'
licenses for non citizens. They can't
read english, have no job to pay for
insurance, and certainly don't
understand the rules of the road. Some
have never driven a day in their lives.
It's like releasing thousands of 15 year
olds to the streets. They'll manage
to scrounge up enough loot to be
able to drive for a month on an
insurance policy, then cancel.
The cars they'll be driving will be those
that were encouraged to be turned
in during the cash for clunker days.
It's my belief that insurance companies
forsee this wave coming and are rising
their rates to compensate.
My comments are in no way political.
Please don't head this thread in that
direction. The OP deserves honest
opinions.

Premiums are skyrocketing mainly due to UM [uninsured motorist] claims and lawyers.
As far as insuring your cars... stay away from state farm if at all possible. state farm hates you for who you are Mr Cheapsunglasses. I'll stop there so as to not get the thread closed...
The condition of your GTX is an impediment to Classic Insurance. Sorry. Many Classic insurers do have policies for modified cars, at slightly higher rates than pure stockers. I know American Classic and Hagerty do at least. However, they do require the car to be in very good aesthetic condition; rust is a no no.
My best suggestion is to work with a local agent. Try an independent agent also who has access to multiple providers also. [avoid progressive like the plague...] Let the agent see the car and understand what you're doing and what you expect. There may be an 'under construction' policy that I know not of also- worth a look. Check that section of Hemmings maybe. But work with a local if possible so you have someone to go to and hold responsible - if the need arises - that has SEEN the car. If the agent binds coverage on the cars, the company is stuck with the agreement for at least the rest of the policy period.
Getting an agreed value policy on your cars will be a bit tough quite frankly. [maybe not on the truck from what Ive seen]. Standard policies are for ACV - actual cash value - and that can be a booger bear to establish on older cars, especially if they are not stock and run perfectly but look less so. Its a tough spot to be in.
Be realistic in your expectations and do the due diligence... gonna take time. :(

edit - have NO idea where the lines thru the text came from... :(

I have mine all thru AAA
I have my house/bundled too,
I save $$$ on the house bundles, about the amount
I'd pay going elsewhere...
my RR has a mileage restriction 2,500 miles
my truck has also it's 5,000 miles I don't do that milage on either anymore
& both are stored in a garage, but it's not required on the ladder...

My dad is on all the cars too, so it makes it a tad bit more $$$
he's had a couple wrecks not to long ago & a DUI (a while ago)

been with them for over 20+ years now

I have agreed value collector car insurance through Farmers, $70K on the GTX and $50K on the Apache. I drop the collision when they are in winter storage, the premiums for both are under $700 annually. The restrictions are pretty reasonable but the policy stipulates that they are stored in a garage. I doubt that a car port would qualify.

When I tried to get Lil Red on State Farm’s classic insurance, they told me it had too many miles and didn’t qualify for classic insurance. At the time it had 48,000:wtf::lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back