• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellcat swap into 65 coronet

65POSTMAN

Local time
2:49 AM
Reaction score
So I see some guys have experience with it.. was mainly wondering on the holley site they have the crossmember stuff, motor mounts etc... but it seems all for the 66 and newer b body.. my question is.. Would I have to buy a 66 and later k member to use all their stuff? Or is that just going to move the motor back a little and still not line up because I have a 65 .. as in headers and stuff? because if it wont bolt in I'll just leave my k member in and cut my inner fenderwells out...have to modify stuff anyways.......I do not have a newer b body here to measure..

Also I was looking at the QA1 kits as that might be an easier route...

also wondering about tti headers should I leave the stock 65 k member? I drag race cars already run mid 9's but I want to street it with a/c

Thanks

Last edited:
What transmission will you be using? The trans tunnel and crossmember may also need to be modified. Will be a big expensive project. It will also be really cool. Probably easier to build a fuel injected 440 or 426 hemi and add an aftermarket AC kit. Keep us posted.

Get a 66-70 b body k frame, it’ll move the engine/trans back 1.750 inches, more room up front radiator/fans/ac condenser/oil cooler etc..

I'll Do a 4L80 overdrive trans.... 440 Is to expensive for the block i need I have a 440 in it now and on the spray its about 800 hp.... blocks at or beyond its limit...... the car has already gone mid 9's with a lot of NOS... But a hellcat motor is a lot cheaper.. looks simple to me...and I can crank it up too 1100 hp

Last edited:
I'll Do a 4L80 overdrive trans.... 440 Is to expensive for the block i need I have a 440 in it now and on the spray its about 800 hp.... blocks at or beyond its limit...... the car has already gone mid 9's with a lot of NOS... But a hellcat motor is a lot cheaper.. looks simple to me...and I can crank it up too 1100 hp
Please keep us updated with pics throughout process. Gonna be awesome!

I’m going with 383 4 speed in my 1965 satellite convertible with factory exhaust manifolds. Maybe will do a newer hemi swap someday. I’m think you’re right on the bang for the buck with hellcat vs. a 426 hemi or 440 build with the same capabilities.

unless hi way mileage is the big thing , I`d think you could go with an aftermarket block way easier than trying to make a late hemi run right , and probly cheaper too ...

I’m doing a 1965 with a Gerst front suspension. I bought a 2018 Demon engine, and tranny for it. I won’t be installing it till next year. I know I will have to rework the tranny tunnel for sure. Good luck

unless hi way mileage is the big thing , I`d think you could go with an aftermarket block way easier than trying to make a late hemi run right , and probly cheaper too ...
I'm actually changing directions and going with a 595" hemi or big wedge motor...I have decided to lighten up the car and am going to do a spring relocation with moly cage... so I can run 14" rims with 10.5 slicks and tour the no prep thing... my buddy has the worlds fastest track Hawk and hits two to three events a month and said there is one in New York for 75k in the spring..I'll be pushing a lot of power to the car probably 1100 hp n/a with a fogger on a progressive controller

I’m doing a 1965 with a Gerst front suspension. I bought a 2018 Demon engine, and tranny for it. I won’t be installing it till next year. I know I will have to rework the tranny tunnel for sure. Good luck
You have the stronger block then and that is the way to go! Isnt gerst the qA1 now? I was going to do a swap for weight savings.. but I dont think they have the travel with the rack and pinion and coil overs that I need... My stock set up has 6" of travel right now

Get a 66-70 b body k frame, it’ll move the engine/trans back 1.750 inches, more room up front radiator/fans/ac condenser/oil cooler etc..
Is It really that much? If so Im going to get one anyways and move the motor back almost two inches would be great.. Or maybe I can just leave mine in and do a motor plate and move it back...save money...I already have the aluminum here...I wonder how the trans tail shaft mount will line up I may have to change the trans anyway

There’s a conversion trans mount you can get to take care of that problem. And yes, it does move the engine back that much. I don’t think you’d get 2 inches due to the firewall on the passenger side.

Last edited:
My brother has gather all the parts for the 440 stroker we'll be building for my Coronet.
He put in a 4L80e in a customers 70 Charger with a 572 hemi several years ago. He really liked it. They raced it at Roadkill nights at Woodward one year but snapped the output shaft on the first run. He had it rebuilt with a billet output shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back