• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another rim size and back spacing question on a 65 Coronet

oceansonmars

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
I know this has been done so many time and there is plenty of info available searching the archives, but the wheels I want are an unusual size and backspacing. I am hoping someone here can help steer me in the right direction.

After a lot of searching this site and others, the rim tire combo I want to go with is 225-75-15 on 15x7 wheels in front and 275-60-15 on 15x8 for my 65 coronet 500. The suspension is all in the stock position, or close after a frame off restoration.

senior member ilm65 has a 65 satellite that is a perfect example what I'm looking for, and just a beautiful car.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?41504-Let-s-see-your-stance-tire-combo

this car is running 225-75-15 on 15x7 wheels in front and 275-60-15 on 15x8 with a 4" back space.

The rims I want to go with are the centerline auto drags, but they only come in unusual sizes.

The 15 x 7 only has a 3-5/16" BS or a 4-7/8" BS.

There is no 8" in rim width available, only a 81/2" width with either the 3-5/16" BS or a 4-7/8" BS.

I know going with another rim would make it easier, but the first B body I fell in love with on sight was a Black 1964 Sport Fury, and he was sporting a set of these centerlines. This was on my 17th birthday in 1986. I took the day off from school to get my license on on the soonest day possible, 17 in NJ. I was driving my 67 mustang fastback that I had spent two years getting running and fixed up, and was on my first legal drive in it, and saw the Fury, which made me realize settled on the wrong car. I have been in love with these early b bodies since then and have always envisioned my b body with these rims.

Sorry for the digression. Anyway any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone is running these unusual backspacing or widths. I also live in a pretty remote area, with no wheel shops in the area, except for a Les Schwab, which don't deal with centerline. I pretty much have to go mail order on these.

Thanks in advance.

by the #'s you will be fine on the outside.yours-3 7/8 inch.his-4 inch.the inside is were you need to check on.yours-4 7/8.his 4 inch.7/8 of an inch can be alot.see if you can pm him and have him check his clearance on the inside edge of his tires.that would be running the 4 7/8 back space wheel.

I did PM him and its looking like it going to be close, probably too close for my comfort. I guess worse case scenario I could go with a 7" rim and smaller tire.

Thanks for the suggestion and info.

A 275/60 with a 4" BS might be close on the well. Most factory rims have a 4.5"BS and I like to use 5-5.5"

Thanks Desert Metal. I didnt know that it was a 4 1/2 bs stock. Good to know.

Using a 5 or 5 1/2 bs what size tires are you running.

I agree go with more backspace I am running 275/15/60 on a 64 dodge and with 4in. backspace and am very close to the body more room toward spring.

Yes Bobs car is really nice. On top of that he took the time to take a measurement for me, which is such a cool thing to do for a complete stranger.

And with his set up of an 8" rim with 4" back space and 275/60/15 tires he is at 1 1/4 from his super stock springs. He also had 1" added to the rims width but kept the 4" backspacing.

So with a 4 7/8 bs I'll be 3/8" clearance if the super stock springs are the same width as stock springs.

Does that sound about right? Any feedback would be appreciated.

That's probably a little to close especially with the rough roads around where I live.

Thanks the feedback and responses so far.

Spacers could solve the problem if the tires were to close. Would new/longer wheel studs for the lugs need to be installed if spacers were used?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Spacers could solve the problem if the tires were to close. Would new/longer wheel studs for the lugs need to be installed if spacers were used?

Thanks for the suggestion.

depends on the thickness of the spacer and length of stud,as well as design of wheel used.they make xtra long studs for racing,but dont use a spacer bigger then 1/2 inch.you can get too much tortional presure on studs and break them under load.

I'd rather not use the spacer, or change studs, I would like to switch between stock and aftermarket rims without changing studs.

I think I'll take a chance with one rim and one tire and if it works I'll buy the rest. I'll post the results in case someone else down the line comes up with similar issues.

Thanks for all the responses and help.

A few years ago I bought a set of wheels, that were from a 65 Coronet from a friend of mine. Rear wheels were Weld Draglite 15x8.5" with 4.5" backspacing. Tyre was (and still is) a whopping 285/70 BFG. I think with the 275/60 and 4 7/8" backspacing you will be fine. I also had these wheels/tyres on my 68 Satellite, stock rear axle, stock spring location and with room to spare between tyre and spring.

Auto Transport Service
Back