• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Temperature question.

Xtro

Local time
10:44 AM
Reaction score
I have read many threads on operating temperatures and overheating problems and just want to get some feedback on what Im experiencing with my mopar. I have a 1969 Coronet RT with a 440 six pack. I don't know what degree thermostat is in it. If I start the car from cold and let it run without driving it the temperature gets up to about 1/3 on the gauge and maintains that temp. I have a non ralley dash cluster so don't actually know what temperature that exactly is as there are only lines on the gauge. I have let it run for half an hour in the driveway and no problems. Thermo fan does not kick in at all. When I take the car for a drive from a cold start it maintains this same temp for about 20 minutes. The temperature will then start to rise and stay around the half mark and will maintain this temp with the help of the thermo fan. If I drive the car hard (which you can't help when you have a 4 speed manual six pack) the temp will get up to that halfway point on the gauge a bit quicker but still maintains around that mark hovering just over and under half. Getting stuck in traffic with the gauge at this point actually will decrease the temp to under half. Once I start driving freely again it will hover again. Can someone tell me if it is running a 180 temp thermostat is this normal for a six pack. It does not overheat at all but sometimes I worry when I see that gauge creep over half.It has never spit out coolant from the overflow and the radiator level stays constant. Also when I park the car after its been running at this temp and re start the motor the temp gauge is at 3/4 but comes quickly down to half again quickly when I start driving. Should I get this checked out or is it normal for these 440 BB to operate like this. Thanks for any help, view and opinions in advance.

If I were you, I would buy an infared temp gun and at various times check the temp at the water temp sender. You will get a good idea as to the temp your motor is running at. Not sure where you would buy the temp gun down under. To me they are worth their weight in gold. I use mine for home improvement projects etc.

Personally I would install one of these Guys, I understand why you mite not want to but it gives me peace of mind, maybe just install it temporary so you can see what the car's doing then remove it ?
4002392_primary_225px.jpg

Get a real gauge. Then you can get a real idea of what's going on.For example, our family was eating at a nice Italian restaurant last weekend, and we were discussing capacity, as they were very busy. We noticed the capacity sign on the wall on the side. It did not say "ahh, when it looks like it's crowded". It had a specific number. That's the difference.

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s not an issue at all but get an aftermarket temp gauge and see what temp it’s actually running at then reassess.

I would agree that it sounds normal as well, but no one can tell you what thermostat is in the motor by that description. You'll have to pull it and check it to be sure.

I have read many threads on operating temperatures and overheating problems and just want to get some feedback on what Im experiencing with my mopar. I have a 1969 Coronet RT with a 440 six pack. I don't know what degree thermostat is in it. If I start the car from cold and let it run without driving it the temperature gets up to about 1/3 on the gauge and maintains that temp. I have a non ralley dash cluster so don't actually know what temperature that exactly is as there are only lines on the gauge. I have let it run for half an hour in the driveway and no problems. Thermo fan does not kick in at all. When I take the car for a drive from a cold start it maintains this same temp for about 20 minutes. The temperature will then start to rise and stay around the half mark and will maintain this temp with the help of the thermo fan. If I drive the car hard (which you can't help when you have a 4 speed manual six pack) the temp will get up to that halfway point on the gauge a bit quicker but still maintains around that mark hovering just over and under half. Getting stuck in traffic with the gauge at this point actually will decrease the temp to under half. Once I start driving freely again it will hover again. Can someone tell me if it is running a 180 temp thermostat is this normal for a six pack. It does not overheat at all but sometimes I worry when I see that gauge creep over half.It has never spit out coolant from the overflow and the radiator level stays constant. Also when I park the car after its been running at this temp and re start the motor the temp gauge is at 3/4 but comes quickly down to half again quickly when I start driving. Should I get this checked out or is it normal for these 440 BB to operate like this. Thanks for any help, view and opinions in advance.
Although it mite sound normal to some, No Body really knows the condition of your factory gauge, yes it could be all good, but the only way to know fore sure is to check it yourself, do yourself a favor and spend the $150. to potentially save your motor ! IMO

You're fine. You could run hotter than that and be fine.

I thought I had problems because every time I drive my car the temp gauge reads a little hotter..nope just the second 'new' sending unit crapping out slowly. Verified OK with my IR thermo gun...a must-have for these old cars in my opinion

My 68 GTX behaved the same way. Get an IR gun and shoot inlet and exit of radiator like stated before.

OK so I went and purchased an IR thermo gun and everything seems to be running at the right temp. After driving around in 92 degree heat in both stop and go traffic and runs on the freeway around 70mph I parked up and took a measurement whilst it was running. The temp gauge showed just over half but would drop down to just under when driving. The hottest spot I could find on the block, head was around 190. Inlet and outlet house of the radiator in the 180's and the nipple where the temp gauge sensor is was 179. Centre of the radiator was in the 170's. I feel better now knowing Im not cooking the motor. Thanks for all the advice.

Auto Transport Service
Back