• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antifreeze in oil

cubbie3522

Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
I was changing the oil in my 383 rr and dumping the old oil. Noticed some green speckles in oil not much but definitely green. Could this be just the old oil breaking down or is there antifreeze in the oil. If so suggestions?

You can pour your drained oil into a clear glass container and you will see the separation of the two, if it's antifreeze.

Antifreeze can cause the oil to foam a frothy white also... head gasket 99% of the time.... speckled green doesn't register to me

Put Barsleaks in it and drive it. And hope for the best. Nothing to lose. You can send oil off to be analyzed for about $8. Good luck and let us know.

Put Barsleaks in it and drive it. And hope for the best. Nothing to lose. You can send oil off to be analyzed for about $8. Good luck and let us know.
Thank you guys, hoping there is not a serious issue will be getting engine rebuilt this fall.

Bars Leaks is good stuff. I used it to seal cracked water jackets on my old 915 heads back in the 80's, and on my old Toyota PU, it put off changing the head gasket for 20 K miles.

Here's a thought...
I agree with the above, water/antifreeze causes oil to become milky. The engine churns the oil pretty good and will thoroughly mix the two. It is a very serious matter and should be addressed before the engine is ruined.
That being said, the only thing I can think would cause the droplets that you describe would be an external leak that dribbled into your oil catch pan while you were changing oil. It's a possibility and would explain why the oil wasn't milky.
It is very odd that it isn't mixed (milky).

^^^ Agreed; without the froth (white or tan colored), it is very hard to declare if it is A/F in the oil. Were these 'speckles' some sort of solid flakes/particles or was it liquid droplets? See if you can strain some out and examine them

And Bars' Leak does a good job, but I cannot reccomend adding it just as a possbile preventative unless there is a definite issue. It plugs up small leaks but will also plug the inside of things like raidators.

Reading above and going by KISS is the oil drain pan different from antifreeze drain pan? If not, then you may have less of a problem.

It's actually possible I cross contaminated the pan I drained into was my brothers thought it was pretty clean

Auto Transport Service
Back