• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique Registration in Florida

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
I was curious if anybody out there has ever registered there ride in Florida with an "antique" tag and if so do you know about what the cost was for it. I just shipped my 72 Charger from Iowa to Florida and I am just trying to get an idea of what the fees were like. I called the the DMV customer service but you all can guess how full of info they were. She didn't seem too "informed" on their antique tag process.

Did you check Florida DMV online?

I think Florida is a YOM plate state, meaning if you can find a 1972 FL tag you can register it to the car. Just something to think about before registering your car.

I think Florida is a YOM plate state, meaning if you can find a 1972 FL tag you can register it to the car. Just something to think about before registering your car.

That it is, but the tag has to be shipped to the DMV + an additional $50 fee, if I'm not mistaken. And if it's anything like it was a few years ago, it'd take forever, as the job was given to one schmuck who'd throw most of the plates in their desk and ignore them.

Antique plates are kept in stock at the DMV locations like any other Florida plate. Don't remember the cost, but it was better than the normal tag, IIRC. Unlike other states, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any restrictions on mileage use either; same for YOM.

-Kurt

I have a few florida antique plates....just go to your florida DMV office...they have the plate in stock there. I know of no restrictions or mileage limitations. They are a small bit cheaper than regular plates. If you have an out of state title it will have to be vin checked by the DMV office, or you can down load a form from the florida DMV on line and get it done by a notary, police man or car dealer,and take the form with you to the DMV.

Blue plate specials. Upside it is yours for life , same for getting a year correct FLA plate.Do a search on ebay. a mint 64 one was going for around $35. I got a spare 1964 plate. Takes about 45 days shipping and returning to Tallahassee to get the seal of approval. If the plate is not perfect any good bike painter can repaint and straighten before sending off. You run a standard plate from DMV while it is being authenticated by the state. No big deal and the DMV office will have all the paperwork you need.

Here's the skinny...

If you already have a FL driver's license, you're good to go there.

Next, when your car gets here, you need to call the local police or sheriff's office and request a VIN Verification visit. Go online and print out this form: http://www.columbiataxcollector.com/Portals/FL-Columbia-TaxCollector/PDF/82042.pdf Officer Friendly will come you where the car is, check the VIN, and complete the form... and likely talk your ear off about the car. :)

Take the form and all your other paperwork to the tax collector's office. If you've owned the car for more than six months, no sales/use taxes apply. If you haven't owned it for six months, you're going to pay a 6% sales tax.

There's a $225 tag fee for any new tag (unless you're transferring an existing one), but this fee is waived for Ancient cars (made before 1945) and Antiques made after 1945 and more than 30 years ago, so you should not get hit with the tag fee.

The current fee for an Antique tag is $20.60/year, but there are mileage limits on how much you can drive a car with an Antique tag. I think it's 3,000 miles per year, so if you're going to drive your car very much, or it's a very noticeable car, I would pay the extra $26 and get a regular tag. You also have to pay about $140.75 in various title transfer fees.

Here's a good breakout of it all... https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/military/milpak.pdf

Huh, I have blue plates on all my motorcycles and was never told about mileage restrictions. Ride with a couple cops, they have never said anything. Though they get pissed when my 76 rd400 gets more attention then their big dollar hogs. You are talking about blue plates or horseless carriage plates?

Huh, I have blue plates on all my motorcycles and was never told about mileage restrictions. Ride with a couple cops, they have never said anything. Though they get pissed when my 76 rd400 gets more attention then their big dollar hogs. You are talking about blue plates or horseless carriage plates?
The blue plates that say Antique. There was a guy in our area with a primered mid-70s Camaro that I used to see driving around all the time with Antique tags, and then I saw him with a set of regular ones starting a few months ago, so I guess the law finally caught up with him.

Wow I love this forum. Thank you everybody for your response! Hopefully I'll make it out to the DMV next week sometime and let you all know how it goes.

Just as an oh-by-the-way, the engine in the car must be 30 years old as well. If you have a 72 Charger with a late-model Hemi, that is not classified as an antique car and you have to pay the $225 fee. That said, I've never had a DMV person ask me anything about the specifics of my cars.

Also, mosquito_13 might be right. I checked the actual law, and there's no longer a mileage limit that I can see on there.

Just as an oh-by-the-way, the engine in the car must be 30 years old as well. If you have a 72 Charger with a late-model Hemi, that is not classified as an antique car and you have to pay the $225 fee. That said, I've never had a DMV person ask me anything about the specifics of my cars.

Also, mosquito_13 might be right. I checked the actual law, and there's no longer a mileage limit that I can see on there.

That still should not be a problem even if they did check. I have a 1978 360ci 4bbl that came out of a 1978 Charger.

It also helps if you go to the tax collectors on the last day of the month. It'll be slammed with people who mistakenly believe they must renew their tag on the last day of the month (it actually expires on their birthday), and there are long lines, but the workers are so harried they don't look at anything too closely. :)

Or go on really slow day and bring a couple pizza's and a twelve pack of soda around lunch time. Did that like ten years ago and it is still paying dividends.

I had blue antique tags on my '47 Chevy when I lived in Florida. I sold the car right before we moved back to Virginia, cancelled the insurance on it. Thought, well I'll hang on to the tag for a keepsake. Went to get my licence in Virginia and they said my Florida license was suspended, but they couldn't tell me why. Called Florida and they said I didn't have insurance on that tag. Told them I sold the car and they told me I had to either send the plate back in or get insurance.. sent it back

They let you hold onto the new tags so you can transfer them to a new car without paying the $225 fee again. I don't know if that applies to Antique tags these days or not.

If the car is drivable on the street you can get a temp from them. You have 30 days to drive the car to them. DMV will look at the VIN to make sure it matches the title then you can get your plate. When I did mine in 2012 I had to extend the 30 day tag. Once I got the car safe to drive I drove the car there and got my plate.

The current fee for an Antique tag is $20.60/year, but there are mileage limits on how much you can drive a car with an Antique tag. I think it's 3,000 miles per year, so if you're going to drive your car very much, or it's a very noticeable car, I would pay the extra $26 and get a regular tag. You also have to pay about $140.75 in various title transfer fees.

If that's so, I'm about to give my local DMV office a ******* earful and then some.

-Kurt

In TN you only have to go to the county clerk and present the plate. They run the number through the state system to ensure nobody else has the same number and it's registered to your car. The best part is that it is a one time only $25 charge for life. You don't even get charged the local wheel tax.

Auto Transport Service
Back