• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any alternative to primer and activator for two-stage paint?

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
I have paint and a hardener. But this is a rust spot as big as a hand I want to repair. However, the cost of primer and activator I'd rather not spend. I know, I'm working with chemistry here.

Thanks

What area of the car ? Picture would be good.
You know you can not paint over rust no matter what you try to seal the rust with.
Grind it , blast it, cut it out, the rust has to be removed.

Buy a spray bomb of 2K primer. You'll only have a short while to use it once you trigger the mix but it'll work.

Etching primer?

I fully tend to either grind that spot or form a patch panel. I just need to ask if there was an alternative to the activator and primer. Like acetone?
Maybe I'll use enamel paint? This car was repainted years ago.

Thanks

My paint shop recommended SEM self etching primer under 2k BC/CC for some touch up. Worked fine for small areas. I repainted the rear quarter panel tail light buckets on my car for example.

What you have... and what you want to do... is the question ? Bare metal ? Epoxy prime. Do you need a high build primer ? I don't know. Are you finishing in single -stage, or BC/CC ? I don't know. What is on the car now ? How will you blend-out the repair area ?

I fully tend to either grind that spot or form a patch panel. I just need to ask if there was an alternative to the activator and primer. Like acetone?
Maybe I'll use enamel paint? This car was repainted years ago.

Thanks
No acetone, let's see a picture of what your working on auggie.

I have paint and a hardener. But this is a rust spot as big as a hand I want to repair. However, the cost of primer and activator I'd rather not spend. I know, I'm working with chemistry here.

Thanks
:fool:
Hard to know what you are wanting help with? Get rid of surface rust with phosphoric acid, and then epoxy prime and then paint. Spending the money on epoxy primer is well worth it.

:fool:
Hard to know what you are wanting help with? Get rid of surface rust with phosphoric acid, and then epoxy prime and then paint. Spending the money on epoxy primer is well worth it.
Alternative to activator and primer (2-stage paint) without killing the wallet. This area is small, I hate the expense of using what the manufacturer tells us to use.

Alternative to activator and primer (2-stage paint) without killing the wallet. This area is small, I hate the expense of using what the manufacturer tells us to use.
Ok, if you don't want to use a 2k product then still get rid of all rust and then use the SEM self etching primer like AR67GTX said or VHT, or rustoleum. The 2k epoxy primers in a spray can are not much more expensive than that though. If you want your repair or touchup to last use epoxy. I did a small test area once were I brushed epoxy primer right on top of a surface rusted spot on a panel and it was outside and it help up great. That really sold me on epoxy primer.

My paint shop recommended SEM self etching primer under 2k BC/CC for some touch up. Worked fine for small areas. I repainted the rear quarter panel tail light buckets on my car for example.
My paint shop will mix a color in a spray can if they have a code in their books, but this car is a repaint, might even be an enamel paint job. I have a stock gas cap with the same color. I'll have to get with them and see if they have the tech to see what color this is, to mix and put in a spray can.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Auto Transport Service
Back