• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any CB radio experts here?

HEMI-ITIS

STREETER on LI
Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
I have a modified CB with sideband I want to put in my Flatbed towtruck. Am I better off with a magnet mount on the roof or dual whips on the side??

Practically speaking, a mag mount and slip the cable through the top of the rear window seal.
If for some reason you ever have to remove it, it would be easy.

Fashionably, If you have truckers mirrors, nothing looks cooler that dual mirror mounted antennas.

I've never been a big fan of whips.

If you can find one the K40 magnet Mount is one the best to be had.
Oh and the antenna twist locks to the base so it easy to remove when needed.

If you go with the dual whips get a radio shop to tune as they act different than a single
The larger the metal plane it is mounted on the better it works

If you go with the dual whips get a radio shop to tune as they act different than a single

they also buck each other if not far enough apart

Couple Fire Sticks, one on each mirror. Then I had them balanced at a CB shop. Don't ask me what they actually did. Years ago. I still have 3 radios and way too much crap for them.

If you can find one the K40 magnet Mount is one the best to be had.
Oh and the antenna twist locks to the base so it easy to remove when needed.
If I'm not mistaken that antenna is not spring mounted,it is solid and would break if mounted on the cab of my Hino.
I had the mirror mounts on an international and they broke too easy.
A magnet mount on the roof gets knocked over but is easy to just upright.That's why I was thinking of the whip........My headboard is stationary.
6.1.17 051.jpg 6.6.17 001.jpg 6.24.14 006.jpg 6.24.16 024.jpg 8.3.16 011.JPG 8.19.12 001.jpg

Thinking mounting the 2 whips on the light bar that attached to a fixed headboard.

So in my experience with cb’s dating back to the mid 70’s the twin mounts were used primarily for high van trailers from 12’8” and up. Running one good mirror mount on your left mirror is about the best you can get. Make sure you tune it to your radio. I’ve spent big money on heaters and antennas, don’t get suckered in to the hype. I have had a lot of shops disconnect the right antenna and tune the left side only. I’ve always pulled tankers at about 13’.

Big trucks would have better luck with the mirror mounts. As much as I hate tight driveways with bushes and tree branches that scratch my truck it can't be helped.I had to keep spares in the international as broke often. So it will be a magnet spring mount on the roof or spring mounted whips.

Twin 36” fiberglass mirror mounts, far out as possible. Local CB shop told me when I ran dual 102” whips on my pickup, they needed to be 8’ apart to keep from interfering with each other. Duals pick up great. Too close together your swrs will be too high and you won’t transmit very well.

Twin 36” fiberglass mirror mounts, far out as possible. Local CB shop told me when I ran dual 102” whips on my pickup, they needed to be 8’ apart to keep from interfering with each other. Duals pick up great. Too close together your swrs will be too high and you won’t transmit very well.
I have the 8 feet.:thumbsup:

Magnet mount definitely, the signal radiates toward the biggest metal; twin whips are the best but in town etc.(?)go with the magnet. Easier & simpler.

Make sure you get a good ground, also be mindful of tree limbs(for height).

Breaker one-nine, breaker one-nine.... anybody with a 10-13 on the westbound 495 ?

Auto Transport Service
Back