• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any closet chevy guys ? Rare motor???

I believe 302s were only in Z28's from 67 ( 67's did not say Z28 but 302 on the fender emblem)68 & 69.... Gotta be worth alot to a first generation Z28 guy, especially if the car it came out of is still alive..
AND I am not afraid to say my favorite car of my youth was my 73 Z28, and I had an A12 Super Bee before it.....
Sell it, buy the kid a 350 and pocket the change. If it's a DZ 302 complete its worth some change. Don't ask me how much but definitely worth more than a decent 350 or 305.

010 was cast all the way up to 79. Could be a 4 bolt or 2 bolt main. Could be a 350 or 302 possibly. The key will be the info stamped on the pad in front of the passenger side head. Take the alternator off and you will see it. You are looking for Z as mentioned earlier. Speaking of heads, look for two humps on them....camel humps. With or without accessory holes makes a difference in the casting of those. Mine are known as 370's and have acc holes for the alternator etc.
There are far more rare castings........010 is very common. But it can be something special too.

E9E341AE-4E01-4156-A15C-8AC81BDDE2D8.jpeg
FA606D80-232C-4F48-9D6A-5D4A6BD68DB0.jpeg
278F7F05-1D14-45A0-A327-63F4611D2CF3.jpeg

1780D4FD-F7C6-40D6-9F95-56EE8D538745.jpeg

Last edited:
The 67 and early 68s had no external markings or engine callouts. The most reliable indicator was a stripe package on the hood and trunk, but it was optional (im pretty sure about that.)
In the late seventies, a friend bought a 68 camaro from a local chevy dealer. It was supposed to be a 275hp 327. I looked at it for about two minutes, and told him he bought a unmarked 68 Z/28. He didnt know what he bought, and the chevy dealer didnt know what they sold!!!
Close. 68 had 302 on front fenders then switched to Z/28 half way through production year.
From CRG:
The first year, Z28 had no external badging at all to distinguish it from a base L6-engined car, just the stripes on the hood and decklid. In 1968, a 302 engine emblem was added to the fenders, but in March of 68, the fender engine emblem was replaced with a "Z/28" emblem. In 1969, there were Z/28 emblems all over the car - grille, fenders, tailpan - and 302 emblems on the optional cowl hood.

@Bb70charger500 - Check the cast date too, it’ll be number and a letter. That on the rear left side of the block, top of the bell housing where you found the 010 cast part #.

Close. 68 had 302 on front fenders then switched to Z/28 half way through production year.
From CRG:
The first year, Z28 had no external badging at all to distinguish it from a base L6-engined car, just the stripes on the hood and decklid. In 1968, a 302 engine emblem was added to the fenders, but in March of 68, the fender engine emblem was replaced with a "Z/28" emblem. In 1969, there were Z/28 emblems all over the car - grille, fenders, tailpan - and 302 emblems on the optional cowl hood.
Did you read my whole post? I can assure you, that real 68 Z/28 had no, repeat NO marking, or 302 emblem on it Anywhere! If it had, do you think a chevy dealer would have sold it as a 327?

It was sort of a legend back in the day, often keeping up with big blocks with no trouble. My brother-in-law has a '69 Z, bought it brand new and kept it.
While it's certainly sought after, it wasn't nearly as rare as say..a hemi. They made over 20,000 Z/28 in 1969 alone.

Wow ton of info about this and slot if interested people! I guess it is fairly rare I agree no hemi but rare enough I'll get it on a stand and see what numbers I can find worse case it's nothing fancy and it goes in the kids camaro to get abused best case it is very rare and is needed and I can swap it for something to put in kids car or sell it and find another motor locally.
I get excited when we're digging for information!
The guy I got it from bought out the garage and left it in corner as he's a ford guy !
Atleast I'm open minded enough to buy just about anything!
I just love cars some more then others but give me a good car and I'll give you a great burn out!

The 302 was a high rev motor 1in over square 3in stroke 4in bore
the block is the same as 350

Yes, the 350, 327 and 302 all had the same four inch bore. Put a 283 crank (3" stroke) into a 350 block and you get a 302.

The 67 and early 68s had no external markings or engine callouts. The most reliable indicator was a stripe package on the hood and trunk, but it was optional (im pretty sure about that.)
In the late seventies, a friend bought a 68 camaro from a local chevy dealer. It was supposed to be a 275hp 327. I looked at it for about two minutes, and told him he bought a unmarked 68 Z/28. He didnt know what he bought, and the chevy dealer didnt know what they sold!!!

33, a minor correction to your post. The '67 Z28 did have a distinctive engine callout. The blacked out grill had "302" emblem in the middle. No other markings on the car. As I recall some variety of the stripe package started in '68 and expanded in '69. I knew one guy with a '68 with some striping & "Z28" emblem on the fender.

I disagree. Everything i have read, and the very few that i have seen, says that a 67 Z/28 had no callout of any sort, anywhere on the car. As you said, the best givaway was usually a hood and trunk stripe. My point was that the EARLY 68s were the same. I dont know when they started with the emblems, only that my friends car had none.
You certainly may have seen a 67 Z with a 302 callout, im not disputing that, but who knows what an owner does to his own car? As someone above said, GM built twenty thousand 69 z/28, and only forty thousand survive.

Did you read my whole post? I can assure you, that real 68 Z/28 had no, repeat NO marking, or 302 emblem on it Anywhere! If it had, do you think a chevy dealer would have sold it as a 327?

302 on the fender to start on a 68, the switch to Z/28 emblem. I gave you an authoritative resource from Camaro Research Group. These cars are very well documented, no guess work.

302 on the fender to start on a 68, the switch to Z/28 emblem. I gave you an authoritative resource from Camaro Research Group. These cars are very well documented, no guess work.
Then the previous owner of my friends 68 Z took off the 302 emblems, filled the holes, repainted the fenders, so he could trade it in as a 327 car? So the dealer, nor the customer would know what they bought?
If you were a plymouth dealer, would you sell a gtx as a satellite ?
(And i had no idea who the #### crg is. )

Then the previous owner of my friends 68 Z took off the 302 emblems, filled the holes, repainted the fenders, so he could trade it in as a 327 car? So the dealer, nor the customer would know what they bought?
I'm sure it was no different than people taking off hemi emblems to get an edge during street fun, not to affect future car-lot values.

This is the rarest of the rare. 69 302 hemi Smokey Yunick

CDE55000-B425-49F8-BB27-50A85B7798D8.jpeg

Is it possible that the car was a 67 and not a 68?

Auto Transport Service
Back