• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any closet chevy guys ? Rare motor???

Bb70charger500

Local time
4:16 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys yeah yeah I know chevy .... Well I know some have them and might know a bit more then me about this matter. I was looking at a 1949 chevy guy was selling .well I decided against the car noticed he had a chevy small block in corner I made a deal on it for the kid next doors' car (1979 camaro) get it home and run the numbers as it doesn't say 350 or 305 on it....
Well numbers come back as a 1969 z28 302 4 bolt main I'm informed these are extremely rare not sure what to do with it any chevy guys know anything about these is it worth anything or should I just put it in the kids car?
I'd hate to give him a rare motor and have him blow it up !
KIMG1625.JPG

I'll buy it! We'll put it in our daughter's Camaro. She has an '81 Camaro that looks like the Transformers Camaro. She takes it to car shows where it's a huge hit with the kids. They sit in it and get their picture taken. No abuse.

I've been trying to get a SBC built for her but it seems like as soon as I find a machine shop they go out of business.

more 3.jpg

Last edited:
Get with someone who knows Chevy stuff and find out.
I wouldn’t put a rare engine in a 1979 Camaro, kid or not

Been a while but one casting number on a 350 4 bolt is same casting used on the DZ302 engines. It’s been a while so I could be almost right.

that is a rare motor indeed,and someone is looking for it right now.
post it up on the fb marketplace for at Least a grand or more.
you hit a home run there.

had a few rides form a sister's boyfriend in a '68 Z when I was a little kid. They were all 4 speeds and that thing BANGED when he caught the next gear. Can't tell you how many hard core Chevy guys called me a liar when I talked about it, 302 is a Ford, they would say. No, it's one of Chevy's cooler motors.
In those days, the word was that they were similar to a motor rodders used, a 283 with a 327 crank, a 301.
They revved like crazy and blew up, but until then, they ran well. Value, like our Mopars, depends on originality and condition.
A neighbor had one with the dual carb cross ram sitting on the dirt floor of his garage. He was a good guy that suffered my being a kid and never told me my mother was calling. He said: "I need to get this ready for the guy coming to look at it" He put a coffee can of gas under the pump hose, hooked jumper cables, and fired it with no exhaust. I thought he was doing a magic trick as that thing roared to life.

the one on ebay with all the original top end pieces is at 13 Grand.
heres some stats for you too.

BLOCK > cast # 3970010, cast date E19 (May 1, 1969 for 69 model year).

BLOCK SUFFIX > DZ = Camaro 302 / 4speed / 290 HP

ENGINE ASSEMBLY DATE > V0520= FLINT MICH PLANT May 20

HEADS > cast # 3928186, cast date E169 (May 16, 1969 for 69 model year).

VIN# > appears to be 19N053487 or 19N?53487 or 19N058487

INTAKE > cast # 3932472

CARBURETOR > # 3923289-DZ LIST-4053, date 942 (2nd week of April) of 1969 for 69 model year)

DISTRIBUTOR > 1111480, date 8L4 (Dec. 4, 1968 for 69 model year)

https://www.ebay.com/i/254796263103...Hcq6Sf0hFpXgJ7dcHyDw-aTG6ot4lDIMaAk11EALw_wcB

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...103&category=140684&pm=1&ds=0&t=1608426526799

Well I guess I'll pull it out of truck tomorrow and get it on a stand. Look for more Numbers I figured it was rare but not sure how rare. I posted it on a z28 site but for some reason all other forums suck no members or ....

3970010 is my cast number
id pull the pan and check the bottom end.
check those head casting numbers too
the intake as well.
the more you have of the original dz,the better off you are.

congrats tho,you can sell That motor and Buy a rebuilt motor for the kid and probably Still have change if you market it right.

oh,and no,you deffo dont want a 3500rpm to 7000 rpm motor in a street driver.
sell it,make yourself and that kid a great christmas :thumbsup:

id pull the pan and check the bottom end.
check those head casting numbers too
the intake as well.
the more you have of the original dz,the better off you are.

congrats tho,you can sell That motor and Buy a rebuilt motor for the kid and probably Still have change if you market it right.

oh,and no,you deffo dont want a 3500rpm to 7000 rpm motor in a street driver.
sell it,make yourself and that kid a great christmas :thumbsup:

That's what I was thinking! It has aftermarket top end on it but not sure what's in it .
By the way I got yelled at for the avatar!

That's what I was thinking! It has aftermarket top end on it but not sure what's in it .
By the way I got yelled at for the avatar!
yeah Dont give that motor away.
somewhere someone needs that motor right now for their dz.
its the equivalent of finding a 340 T/A block,almost complete,but for chevy guys.

and you Let someone yell at you for our Fan club for biden avatars??
:poke:
lol,that new pic you got is a good one,regardless.
cheers,and again,Great score !!

chevy usually stamped the deck surface on driver side with identifying digits for engines. Might be pass side, can't recall.

Want to say the 302 was DZ engine

Last edited:
The DZ makes it a 69 Z/28, but the 010 block could be a 350.
About fifteen years ago, i had a MO engine, the sixty eight two bolt large journal version. The block and heads were right, but it had 12 1/2 pistons, and a solid roller in it.
I traded it....straight across ..... for a pan-to-carb 426 maxwedge engine with the correct carbs.
As stated above, the more original and complete, the better, but the DZ on the block is what is important.
Dont, DONT! put it in your kids camaro! The right buyer will pay enough for a new 383 crate motor.
Just a note, the 69 dz is by far the most common of the 302 Z/28s, but it is the favorite year for many Z lovers. Twenty thousand 69 z's, five to seven thousand 68s, 602 67s.

Last edited:
A friend of mine told me that when he got home from Vietnam in 1969, he bought a new 1968 hemi Charger. He went on to say that the only car in town that could get close to him running,was a 302 Camaro.

Post pictures of the stamp pad in front of the right cylinder head, right behind the alternator. Then look for a VIN stamp either there or in the rough cast area right above the oil filter.

I’ll tell you if it’s legit stamp or not. Lots of fakes out there.
Camaros.net is an active site for 1st gen Camaros.

The 67 and early 68s had no external markings or engine callouts. The most reliable indicator was a stripe package on the hood and trunk, but it was optional (im pretty sure about that.)
In the late seventies, a friend bought a 68 camaro from a local chevy dealer. It was supposed to be a 275hp 327. I looked at it for about two minutes, and told him he bought a unmarked 68 Z/28. He didnt know what he bought, and the chevy dealer didnt know what they sold!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back