• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Construction Experts , Home Builders

Also this picture bothers me because there should be all Pressure treated wood against any CMU because of condensation
7c3f3e3b-9afd-4893-ba01-272843b58664-jpeg.1411689

Ok I am on my computer now and can see the pictures better. The rim joist looks like a 2''x 10'' if that is what your floor joists are and is probably just a single ( I would have doubled it over the span of both windows ) but it is supported between the windows so the floor joists are probably not the problem.
What everyone thinks are headers are there only to nail the window and plywood to and the sheet rock on the inside so not structural but they have warped bad for some reason. Could be crappy wood or a moisture over time problem.
Edit: Or they could have been that way all along but covered by the paneling, just a cheap way to frame IMHO
It is DOUBLED over both Windows - 2"X 10" Rim Joists

I tried showing that in the pictures

"What everyone thinks are headers are there only to nail the window and plywood to and the sheet rock on the inside so not structural but they have warped bad for some reason. Could be crappy wood or a moisture over time problem.
Edit: Or they could have been that way all along but covered by the paneling, just a cheap way to frame IMHO"

Interesting

Thanx Scott

Even though there is no header, is it possible the windows were never installed properly, and they're just self destructing ? If the weight was bearing down, to warp them, I would think they'd be cracking ? Consider pulling them, install a header properly, and maybe use smaller windows, to accommodate the lost space. Where's Sobieski, maybe someone could swing by ?

WI - Just north of Lambeau Field

I should pull the windows tonight

-35 below wind chills

Stick the wife in the basement

Do you have any pictures of the windows from before starting this project?
I have replaced window inner jamb trim before and found shims because the framing was so wonky.

Those windows and all framing where installed from new construction in the year 2000 when we purchased the house

I wanted to install cedar tongue and groove or car siding

Those windows and all framing where installed from new construction in the year 2000 when we purchased the house

I wanted to install cedar tongue and groove or car siding
I mean pictures of those windows and how they were trimmed from the inside the way it was when you bought the house.

If you have two rim joists supporting over the windows then your fine provided that they are well nailed together and this makes a flush header/beam . That is standard framing practice perfectly good to code which allows for more window space. (That is 44yrs of construction talking)

If you have two rim joists supporting over the windows then your fine provided that they are well nailed together and this makes a flush header/beam . That is standard framing practice perfectly good to code which allows for more window space. (That is 44yrs of construction talking)
Thank You !!!

I gathered that from 69 Sleeper Bee also in his one post

That would explain ALL the floor joists LEVEL

Then onto the wood puzzle above and below the windows if anything

Also, you do not want pressure treated lumber for framing. There should be vapor barrier between the concrete and the wood.

Also, you do not want pressure treated lumber for framing. There should be vapor barrier between the concrete and the wood.
Tell that to construction companies in Hawaii.
44 years of construction....
1 dork.jpg

All throughout my career, I ran into guys doing stuff wrong while saying "I've always done it this way".
Here in earthquake and fire country, you do not omit headers over openings.

The doubling of a rim joist is the exact same thing as a header just in a different location.
You can also keep your insults to yourself.

Last edited:
Tell that to construction companies in Hawaii.
44 years of construction....
View attachment 1411811

All throughout my career, I ran into guys doing stuff wrong while saying "I've always done it this way".
Here in earthquake and fire country, you do not omit headers over openings.
We also do solid headers over any openings here in Florida but for the hurricanes even if there is a second floor system above framed like the OP’s house is.

Hawaii
California

Hurricanes
Earthquakes

Hang on

Need to head outside and check on my Siberian Huskies

Yep , still in WI

9B027113-3A5E-40E6-9098-39C502DA63FB.jpeg

F86A1673-8E96-4E9F-964A-BBA3FE1351A2.jpeg

9D1E39C9-5E15-4F37-A602-CD40CC057095.jpeg

The doubling of a rim joist is the exact same thing as a header just in a different location.
You can also keep your insults to yourself.
The "exact same thing" by definition means identical in every way.
The method you described is not the same. It may support the load but it is not the "exact same thing".
Keep it up, The more you reveal yourself, the less sense you make.
A "header" in the most traditional sense is a solid timber or a manufactured, laminated beam.
I have seen 2X material sandwiched together with nails or bolts holding them together but that is often the practice of someone used to doing shortcuts. Nothing beats a solid chunk of wood for strength.

I'm with KD on this. I've drywalled
hundreds of homes and have never
seen this practice of laying "flat"
lumber over any opening of this size.
It needs to be supported in the center.
Natural deflection of the wood will
occur if it's just supported on the ends,
even if there is no weight, or moisture
causing the deflection. It's taken 23
years for this wood to deflect to this
point. It's not going to stop deflecting,
and could progress into something
much worse unless it's fixed. What
you have there is poor framing
practices.

Yup. What Wojo said. You need a solid piece of wood above the window spanning the length, or at least two pieces nailed together with 16 d nails. The two pieces need to stand horizontally, not flat like the 2x4's you have now.

Put a temp beam and posts to jack up the joists taking the weight off over the window, sawzall/chizel the wood out, and insert a proper header. It will still be an undersized header for the span, but better than what you have. The rim joist and double top plate is carrying a lot of load so I think it should be ok.

If the double top plate and rim joist is not sagging, you might be able to do this without shoring up the joists.

Auto Transport Service
Back