• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any experience with Cardone rebuilt power steering box?

koosh

Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
In near future I'll be attempting to remove my PS box from 69 Bee, which leaks like a siv, there are many pricey choices for a replacement, and wondered if the rebuilt Cardones are any good?

I can't attest to your specific application, but I've had pretty good luck with the Cardone rebuilds I've used in my daily drivers over the years.

I can't attest to the application either, however I have found Cardone steering boxes to be garbage most of the time. In my small auto repair business I refuse to install them.

I bought a Lares power box for my D100 when I switched from manual to power and am please with it. No leaks or problems. No experience with a Cardone. Ive resealed the top half of my factory 68 Charger box and it was fairly easy but havnt tested it yet.

I’ve been running a Cardone box for about 6 yrs without a problem. Make sure there’s actually one in stock

I bought a Lares power box for my D100 when I switched from manual to power and am please with it. No leaks or problems. No experience with a Cardone. Ive resealed the top half of my factory 68 Charger box and it was fairly easy but havnt tested it yet.
I thi k my leak is from the input shaft area, as the top of the steering box where the hoses attach is dry

If you want a reman stocker, Firm Feel, Steer and Gear, Redhead are your best bets. They are TRULY REBUILT. Not just replace a seal, paint it and kick it out the door to the next sucker. Lifetime warranty doesn't mean poo when you have to keep replacing it for free.

I replaced my steering gearbox with a Cardone unit a couple of years ago. The unit itself has worked really well. It's smooth, consistent, quiet, and it doesn't leak. However, I'm pretty sure that the unit they sold me is either later model or C-body. I had to shim the gearbox to get the input shaft alignment right and the holes in the mounts took some grinding to line up.

Autozone sells "truegrade/endurance " at a reasonable price too

Once you get it pulled I would make a few calls local and see if you can find a shop to rebuild/ re seal it.
I know napa stocks the o rings and seal kits for my 67 anyway.
A shop that does hydraulic work , cylinders/ pumps ect.

I recently had Steer N Gear rebuild mine. With shipping both ways I was out almost $1,000 total. Add to that a few glitches along the way with Steer N Gear making a few mistakes and I'm going to recommend a O'Reilly's exchange.

These rebuilds....The quality of them is dependent on the shape the box was in before it was "rebuilt". If it had the common slop that most of them have, it will have it again. Sure, it may not leak but you're still stuck with the dreaded 11-1 steering free play these units are known for. Even quality rebuilds like Firm Feel and Steer & Gear, they are bound to have the slop eventually due to the original design.

I recently had Steer N Gear rebuild mine. With shipping both ways I was out almost $1,000 total. Add to that a few glitches along the way with Steer N Gear making a few mistakes and I'm going to recommend a O'Reilly's exchange.
For that kind of money, The Borgeson swap makes even more sense.

For that kind of money, The Borgeson swap makes even more sense.
I'm gun shy about cutting the column or having to fabricate anything. I know it's difficult for you to realize, but my skills are limited to turning a wrench. Anything beyond that and I need supervision.

I actually like the over boosted stock feel. Just a llittle disappointed in Steer N Gear customer service.

If you like the feel, that makes sense.
I didn't have to cut anything in the 2 cars I swapped in a Borgeson. The hybrid coupler that Bergman includes in his kit makes the swap a direct bolt in.

I bought a Cardone PS box for my 67 Satellite from Rock Auto probably 5 or 6 years ago, maybe more. It was a direct replacement for the leaky, loose original factory unit. No issues with the installation other than it was a b*tch getting the old out and new in with the engine in the car. Haven't had any problems with it - doesn't leak and has much less play than my 140k mile original. Guess I got lucky based on what others have reported. I paid the core fee and kept my original just in case.

I bought a Cardone PS box for my 67 Satellite from Rock Auto probably 5 or 6 years ago, maybe more. It was a direct replacement for the leaky, loose original factory unit. No issues with the installation other than it was a b*tch getting the old out and new in with the engine in the car. Haven't had any problems with it - doesn't leak and has much less play than my 140k mile original. Guess I got lucky based on what others have reported. I paid the core fee and kept my original just in case.
I’ve had a Rock Auto Cardone for 12 years with no problems. The slop I had came from a loose fitting aftermarket steer coupler. Put my OEM unit back on with new shoes and now have tight steering with the Cardone box. I also kept my core.

Auto Transport Service
Back