• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Printers Here?

Hard to print 3D and a virtual walk threw. What can be saved and viewed from a cd or electronic drive takes massive amount of paper storage. Electronic files can be transmitted almost any where on the planet and beyond in minutes. I would not even know the rate for sending a 15 pound roll over night these days.
My wife did printing for an ad agency for a few years. I started in drafting in 1978 which expanded into estimating and technical engineering. Like Cranky stated thing got just stupid over the years. To many with computer added drafting forgot how to do the math. There use to be checkers to catch such errors. Another art lost and almost gone.

That's it - 1:31 in the video!

In H.S back in 72 we had a couple of those in Graphic Arts. We type set, print, silk screened, all kinds of cool stuff. I was scared of that press as it could smash your hand if not careful, guess that's not allowed in schools today for liability issues! Never had a job doing anything like that though.

We had the hand operated platen press, Heidelberg Windmill, Heidelberg KORD, Multilith 1250 CD, Linotype, Ludlowe, Darkroom, had to learn the Calif job case, Silk Screen, Additive & Subtractive Plates. Remember the stink of Gum Arabic (smelled like bad feet)!

It was a fun class as our teacher had a local rock station WPLR (Smith & Barber back then) playing thru speakers set up in the shop. I got out of so many study halls or school assemblies by getting excused to go to print shop.

Had to learn the "California Job case" in shop class around 1982.

We just had a big fight with our local paper that resulted in the cancellation of our subscription.

We used to enjoy relaxing and reading the paper with our coffee on Sunday mornings.
I placed the Ad for the Super Bee in to start on 3ed of April. Sold the car and spent the next 3 1/2 weeks trying to get the Ad removed from the paper. It ran for 30 days and I bet I got 10 calls a week asking to see the BEE ARRRRRRRRGG!

I have to toss in what HS shop and art class have looked like when I was contracted to do safety inspections of schools some years ago. Of note is the '40's vintage drill press in a class no guards/grounding, the 50's era lathe with the on/off switch over and behind the chuck, the chip tray chock full of razor sharp chips and tooling mixed in, broken ball/peen hammer handle in the weld shop, and the stand grinder...wow. Girls were in the class with their long hair flowing running that old DP. I got many more photos of some of these conditions with kids operating this stuff. This includes a table saw a kid was operating cutting off his thumb...
upload_2021-5-5_17-52-47.png

upload_2021-5-5_17-53-8.png

upload_2021-5-5_17-53-32.png

upload_2021-5-5_17-54-1.png

Geez what the hell, accident's looking for a place to happen!

Geez what the hell, accident's looking for a place to happen!
I know I've taken this thread off the rails and my apologies; but since it was brought up about school liability, gotta tell ya, the HS shop courses going down the toilet in the years after I took shop classes in the early 70's is SAD! When I was in HS yet, our shop classes had modern equipment and we had to keep the shops clean. Other photos I have show just **** and dangerous housekeeping...worse than you'd find in many shops.

Hey no worries, I've heard stories of accidents in the industry but luckily never had one or seen one myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back