• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any seasoned Mazda Techs on the board

I hope so Don! Just have my doubts on that PCM voltages quick to zero and then back constantly. It's usually 10 or 12 minutes apart, but I did have one spurt where it did it three times in about 2 minutes. Can't see that being normal unless they designed it to constantly reset itself. That being said, the car doesn't skip a beat when it does so...

Well.. back from an hour and a half drive after putting everything back together. That PCM voltage does the zero hit about every 12 minutes like it's supposed to do that. Snowing and **** out side so I got to make sure traction control works... light blinks and it unpowers what ever wheel it needs to to make you go straight. ABS pulses away in a lock up. Drove it like a nut... no warning lights.. no AT light.. no transmission hammer everything working perfect.

I might get a better sleep tonight, but I'll be filling it with gas and driving it half the day tomorrow before the Daughter gets it back with my Granddaughters in the back seat...

Thanks to those that have helped and tried to help. Even if that PCM voltage drop is a Mazda special, it at least got me to start looking for a cause !!!
Good work Wayne. :thumbsup:

I like to hear that. We had a large snow storm about 2002 or so. I inherited my parents 1975 400 Grand Fury and was using it. Co-workers with their fancy front wheel drives had been giving me the gears about the old boat. I pulled up and asked why they weren’t in the parking lot. We have to wait until someone clears it.
I put it in gear and proceeded to drive down the driveway behind the building and parked in my spot. And the sheep followed. Two out of 15 thanked me.
I think there is still a place for rear wheel drive cars with studded tires front and back and sandbags in the trunk. My humble opinion.

Not sure where that came from Ian, but this little Mazda CX-3 will go damn near anywhere, it's AWD. She's never been stuck and the lazy husband has never even shoveled their laneway.

Y'know, iffin it had been a horse, they'd a done shot it by now...
Glad this one lived, though. :thumbsup:

I think there is still a place for rear wheel drive cars with studded tires front and back and sandbags in the trunk. My humble opinion.

period correct lol

last set of snow tires I saw died in a Hellacious burnout

how old is the lazy husband? :popcorn2:
35, he keeps it up he may not see 36. Time to get her practicing again...
thanksgiving2013 019.JPG

Well 3 hours of driving it around and I can sleep well knowing I did the best a Father can !! The voltage spike to zero on the PCM was a scanner anomaly, as it only does that while also monitoring the alternator output at the same time. If you monitor it, or any other voltage solo it's darn near a flat 13.9 volt line for hours. Now to tackle why her heated seats don't work, yet the indicator switches that show they're on do. Hopefully just a relay...
Screenshot_20240105_130211_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240105_130232_Samsung Internet.jpg

What's your billing rate? Her bill is gonna be HUGE... :rofl:
It's unfortunate but cars with minor real problems get scrapped cause at a shop rate a repair like this could easily be more than the owner is willing to spend... Cause after all, until the problem was found it could have been a ECM, a transmission, sensors..... How far do you go before the customer cuts their losses...

What's your billing rate? Her bill is gonna be HUGE... :rofl:
It's unfortunate but cars with minor real problems get scrapped cause at a shop rate a repair like this could easily be more than the owner is willing to spend... Cause after all, until the problem was found it could have been a ECM, a transmission, sensors..... How far do you go before the customer cuts their losses...
Exactly why I took it "under my arm". Moffat Mazda would have put a transmission in it and it would still have the same problems !!! With her on maternity leave with a 2 month old and a 28 month old no way that I was letting that happen.

Exactly why I took it "under my arm". Moffat Mazda would have put a transmission in it and it would still have the same problems !!! With her on maternity leave with a 2 month old and a 28 month old no way that I was letting that happen.
She's lucky to have a dad that cares and has the skills to sort it out... Good on ya..

Well 3 hours of driving it around and I can sleep well knowing I did the best a Father can !! The voltage spike to zero on the PCM was a scanner anomaly, as it only does that while also monitoring the alternator output at the same time. If you monitor it, or any other voltage solo it's darn near a flat 13.9 volt line for hours. Now to tackle why her heated seats don't work, yet the indicator switches that show they're on do. Hopefully just a relay...
View attachment 1585543View attachment 1585544
a-team (1).jpg

Did you come up with a hypothesis on why the corrosion sucked into that 1 terminal?
Some older vws used to leak coolant into the dash through the wiring.. :rolleyes:

Did you come up with a hypothesis on why the corrosion sucked into that 1 terminal?
Some older vws used to leak coolant into the dash through the wiring.. :rolleyes:
Definitely weird, but based on the girth of the wire, compared to the others in the same plug, that was the main power wire to the transmission. Everything else in the fuse box looks like new, except that pin pair.

Auto Transport Service
Back