• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any yellow or red and black B-Bodies that painted the bumpers?

In the 80s we had a 1970 340 cuda 4spd car with the elasto/rubber bumpers.
It was in F8 green and I never thought it looked cheap ect.
My old 67 had crap chrome so I did go cheap on it LOL.
img004.jpg

The E bodies are the exception as they could have the optional elastomeric bumpers from the factory. Cars that only originally came with chrome are the ones that can look cheap when painted.

Considering the climate you live in you may want to consider a product called Penetrol Marine for your chrome. It's used on ship rigging to protect chrome and other metals. Applied with 0000
Steel or copper wool and will give you a couple of years of maintenance free protection.
It will also bring back the shine on dull chrome. Tri cities bumpers run around $400.

Considering the climate you live in you may want to consider a product called Penetrol Marine for your chrome. It's used on ship rigging to protect chrome and other metals. Applied with 0000
Steel or copper wool and will give you a couple of years of maintenance free protection.
It will also bring back the shine on dull chrome. Tri cities bumpers run around $400.
Thanks, but I tried about 6 different things and realized there wasn't any chrome left in one spot to polish, it was approaching the copper under the chrome.

Certain cars look good with body color painted bumpers, unfortunately the 70 Roadrunner/GTX is not one of them. I saw quite a few during the prostreet era. It’s a trend that didn’t die fast enough.

Imo
painted bumpers on 70 down b bodies make the car look cheap..
it makes me think where the next short cut is hiding..

Last edited:
Chrome it is!
Last time I looked, no more local chrome shops. EDIT: There is a chrome shop not far from me that does bumpers. I'll have to check them out.
Likely to just buy a rear bumper.
I'll have to weigh the options vs show chroming the one I have.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I tried the black out look a few years ago,Sent all the front stuff to Zak 5.7 hemi and they came back kike jewelry!:lowdown::lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:

10.22.17 067.jpg 7.1.18 grille 008.jpg 7.1.18 grille 009.jpg 7.1.18 grille 018.jpg 7.10.18 009.jpg 7.10.18 010.jpg 7.20.16 006_zpswekp66vn.jpg 10.14.16 009_zpsad7vxnal.jpg 2009-04-24-1735-00_edited_zps52rpvw9h.jpg untitled (2).png

Last edited:
That looks great on that car, with all that shiny grill above it.
I like the front color matched "rubber" bumpers on the E bodies, and the rear bumper is a toss up IMO on the E.
I'm going to see if the local company that does bumpers has a bumper or at least a picture of a bumper that they have done, so I can see if I want to have them rechrome my otherwise perfect rear bumper. The next consideration is cost, and finished product. I know the bumpers that are sold new may cost less than having one "show chromed", but they also don't last as long re: chrome finish.

Auto Transport Service
Back