• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody doing any upgrades to their Race Cars over the winter?

we are going for a new set of headers from holt, new radiator, fix the rear end, new tires all the way around (going to try pheonix out on the rear this year, have heard nothing but good things), and also are going to redo the fuel system.

No big changes for us really.

Casey

We went to Pheonix this past year, 29.5-10.5's and love them. We're runing 14.5-15lbs of air in them and they hook great. The only down side to them is since we elected not to run tubes they do leak some. You'll have to air them up in the morning because they'll probably be a pound or two down from where you set them the night before. I wasn't surprised since Mike Cruchfield from Pheonix told me they would do that with out the tubes.
Pheonix is a good choice!

yea after talking to habrura (sp) about them, we are sold. never realized how many of the fast guys actually ran them.

Did ya all find out what was going on with your dads motor? I know he was having some issues in Clay City.

Casey

65 Dodge,

Were talking from experience, it doesn't cost much more to go 577 than it does 426.
Check with your machinist and see how much machining it would take to put that 4.500 stroke crank in, I think if you haven’t' already bought the pistons and rods, you'll be ok. If I'm not mistaking that is where your clearance issues would be.
Who is going to do your engine work?

Good luck keep us updated.

Thanks

Kevin
thanks guys mine will not be a full on race car but will see some strip duty here and there will be mostly a weekend street cruiser i have been talking to john arruzza and he recomended going 4.50 stroke 7.1 rod and bore .60 over im thinking .30 over would be fine and he sells a piston he designed for that combo and matches the stage v head combustion chamber and ross makes the pistons for him that he sells does that sound like a good combo for my application?as far as a machine shop a friend uses riekers out of owosso michigan but the gentleman i purchased the crossram setup from out of detroit recommended best machine i believe there located in farmington hills anyone have someone they would recommend here in michigan for doing machine work on a hemi thanks.

thanks guys mine will not be a full on race car but will see some strip duty here and there will be mostly a weekend street cruiser i have been talking to john arruzza and he recomended going 4.50 stroke 7.1 rod and bore .60 over im thinking .30 over would be fine and he sells a piston he designed for that combo and matches the stage v head combustion chamber and ross makes the pistons for him that he sells does that sound like a good combo for my application?as far as a machine shop a friend uses riekers out of owosso michigan but the gentleman i purchased the crossram setup from out of detroit recommended best machine i believe there located in farmington hills anyone have someone they would recommend here in michigan for doing machine work on a hemi thanks.

BEST MACHINE,is doing my 588 Indy motor right now.
Great guys and they know how to make power.
ARC out of West Patterson ,NJ built my 581 Hemi and my 604 B1 TS motor.

Attachments

• UNDERCARRIAGE 65 DODGE BLACK CORONET 015.jpg
    UNDERCARRIAGE 65 DODGE BLACK CORONET 015.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 325
  • UNDERCARRIAGE 65 DODGE BLACK CORONET 014.jpg
    UNDERCARRIAGE 65 DODGE BLACK CORONET 014.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 327
  • 63 plymouth max wedge at ATCO 4.26.09 740.JPG
    63 plymouth max wedge at ATCO 4.26.09 740.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 63 plymouth max wedge at ATCO 4.26.09 737.JPG
    63 plymouth max wedge at ATCO 4.26.09 737.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 323
My 581 Hemi just got a nice new set of MGP Rods and a Jesel Belt drive,and a new stick is on its way.

The Dodge motor is in the shop just waiting for spring. Just found some more horsepower it will be enough to get some 8.90's! We just need to find the fastest track in the midwest!

yea after talking to habrura (sp) about them, we are sold. never realized how many of the fast guys actually ran them.

Did ya all find out what was going on with your dads motor? I know he was having some issues in Clay City.

Casey

I'm glad to see your going the Pheonix, they're a good outfit. You can call them and get strait answers.

As for Dad's car,

Motors pulled and at the engine builder. I know we were having water issues both at Quaker (the Buckeye Race) and Clay City. I think that it was when he re filled the radiator in the spring he didn't put stop leak in it. All of a sudden we noticed at Norwalk (I think) we were going through darn near a quart of water a round. Oil looked fine, so we knew it wasn't going to the pan.
We were also on pins and needles because we had a couple of bent push rods in the car. Our engine builder had 3/8 push rods in there with 849 @1.250 springs. (the guy is really good but a little old school.) I noticed them last year they were all polished where they went through the head, I knew they were flexing but other than that it wasn't hurting anything, I made mention of it to our engine builder and he didn't seem to worried about it. I talked to Manton, Smith Brothers (push rods) along with both Squeak and Danny and they all said we needed at least 7/16 push rods. So this is being corrected this winter.
I guess we'll find out more when he gets it apart which should be in a two or three weeks.

Thanks

Kev

I'll give you the same advise I gave my father. When he built his 65 Coronet I told him to do it right, make it light - make it easy to work on - and build it to go fast the first time. I told him that I made a lot of money for Jeg Coughlin because of people like him. (I use to work there). He would tell me...."ahh Kev, I don't care how fast I go, if it runs 12.00s then that's what it runs, I'm just bracket racing."
AS YOU CAN SEE AT THAT TIME WE DID NOT WORK WELL TOGETHER. LOL.
Well he started out running 12's then he was getting close to 11's so he had to get there. Then when he got into the low 11's, thats when he got hooked up with the Chrysler Classic Events "Hemi Super Stock" Class, well at the time they had a 10.50 index to run with them, but since they were short on cars they let dad run. Well guess what the new number was 10.50s. When he finally got there they bumped the index to 10.40's so he took the motor back to Bartons and had a roller put into it and some other things. Ok, so now he's running 10.20's. Then CC Events went back to the 10.50 index. So never the less, he was focused on going 9.99, then when he hit that, then it was 9.80's then 70's 60's now it's 50's.
You see the moral of the story. He built that motor 10 times to do what he could have done in the first place. Hey, I don't faut him he was in his 50's and finally had enough money and parts to live his dream. But it sure would have saved him a tone of money.

As for the combo. Here is what I'm planning for my 65 Belvedere 1.
I would like to build a 557 or 572, with crossram. Stage V heads probably just his basic head.... if I found a good deal I would go with the big valve. But stay away from the raised port head because of header issues, and I don't see it working on the street with low compression very well.
Buy the best crank you can along with the best rods you can buy... (less worries), long rods are easier on the cylinders (less side load)
Put a semi mild cam shaft with 10.5-1 comp. you'll be set. You don't have to buzz the motor very hard no matter what which is easy on parts. And if you ever do decide you want to just race it all you have to do is have some port work done and change cam shaft. Heck Chris is running 9.70's with 10.5 - 1 compression on pump gas.
That's the way to go in my eyes.

How far away are you from Detroit?

Attachments

• Dad Norwalk Friday 2010.jpg
    Dad Norwalk Friday 2010.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 303
The Dodge motor is in the shop just waiting for spring. Just found some more horsepower it will be enough to get some 8.90's! We just need to find the fastest track in the midwest!

I know its way down south but I think Bella Rose (spelling) down in cajun country is one of the fastest track in the country? That is one of the places that all the Super AH guys go to set records.

I'll give you the same advise I gave my father. When he built his 65 Coronet I told him to do it right, make it light - make it easy to work on - and build it to go fast the first time. I told him that I made a lot of money for Jeg Coughlin because of people like him. (I use to work there). He would tell me...."ahh Kev, I don't care how fast I go, if it runs 12.00s then that's what it runs, I'm just bracket racing."
Well he started out running 12's then he was getting close to 11's so he had to get there. Then when he got into the low 11's, thats when he got hooked up with the Chrysler Classic Events "Hemi Super Stock" Class, well at the time they had a 10.50 index to run with them, but since they were short on cars they let dad run. Well guess what the new number was 10.50s. When he finally got there they bumped the index to 10.40's so he took the motor back to Bartons and had a roller put into it and some other things. Ok, so now he's running 10.20's. Then CC Events went back to the 10.50 index. So never the less, he was focused on going 9.99, then when he hit that, then it was 9.80's then 70's 60's now it's 50's.
You see the moral of the story. He built that motor 10 times to do what he could have done in the first place. Hey, I don't faut him he was in his 50's and finally had enough money and parts to live his dream. But it sure would have saved him a tone of money.

I would like to build a 557 or 572, with crossram. Stage V heads probably just his basic head.... if I found a good deal I would go with the big valve. But stay away from the raised port head because of header issues, and I don't see it working on the street with low compression very well.
Buy the best crank you can along with the best rods you can buy... (less worries), long rods are easier on the cylinders (less side load)
Put a semi mild cam shaft with 10.5-1 comp. you'll be set. You don't have to buzz the motor very hard no matter what which is easy on parts. And if you ever do decide you want to just race it all you have to do is have some port work done and change cam shaft. Heck Chris is running 9.70's with 10.5 - 1 compression on pump gas.

You couldnt have said it any better. I have made that mistake twice on my hemi.
Should have done it right the 1st time.
Well now I'm on my 3rd rebuild going to change things once again.

i am about 3 hours north from detroit was planning on using eagle crank and rods will those work good, compression will be 10.5.1 i want the car to be capable of running around 11:80 to 11:60 do not want to cage the car so would like to stay above the 11:50 cut off and i want decent street manners will be driving on street a majority of the time to cruise ins and shows and taking the family out for ice cream so im looking at like a 511 or 525 ci only want to build it once like you said but i think this combo should fit the bill for what i want the car to do all around and be reliable and it will leave some meat on the cylinders if a rebuild is ever needed in the future what bore is that to achieve 557 or 572 ci and is that with a 4.50 stroke crank and 7.1 rod thanks for all the help this is my first hemi build.

i am about 3 hours north from detroit was planning on using eagle crank and rods will those work good, compression will be 10.5.1 i want the car to be capable of running around 11:80 to 11:60 do not want to cage the car so would like to stay above the 11:50 cut off and i want decent street manners will be driving on street a majority of the time to cruise ins and shows and taking the family out for ice cream so im looking at like a 511 or 525 ci only want to build it once like you said but i think this combo should fit the bill for what i want the car to do all around and be reliable and it will leave some meat on the cylinders if a rebuild is ever needed in the future what bore is that to achieve 557 or 572 ci and is that with a 4.50 stroke crank and 7.1 rod thanks for all the help this is my first hemi build.

I got a nice set of eagle rods and crank that are perfect for ya, and a awesome roller cam cheap.Drop it in and go. You'll love it. Strret and strip friendly.

I got a nice set of eagle rods and crank that are perfect for ya, and a awesome roller cam cheap.Drop it in and go. You'll love it. Strret and strip friendly.

sounds interesting pm sent thanks.

Car is done picking it up tomorrow no bill yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the car home, cage looks great nose easy on and off now new four link bars and new radiator Thanks C+F still no bill told me to have fun at PRI. Now the engine next hope that goes as well. Boy what a hobby does it ever end LOL.

Got the car home, cage looks great nose easy on and off now new four link bars and new radiator Thanks C+F still no bill told me to have fun at PRI. Now the engine next hope that goes as well. Boy what a hobby does it ever end LOL.

Now you get to wonder the whole weekend, how much is that bill. how much is that bill?
I hate the anticipation.
Mine was on my mind all the time.
You 1st think ok $3000.00 and then oh maybe $4000.00 then oh what if its $10,000.00:eusa_boohoo:

Just bought a new World Block, lifter bores bushed and line honed. Building a new 572 with Indy heads and original crossram with 14.5 compression. Its going in this car.

Attachments

• B1 Home 11.21.10 006.jpg
    B1 Home 11.21.10 006.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 215
  • B1 Home 11.21.10 008.jpg
    B1 Home 11.21.10 008.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 249
  • B1 Home 11.21.10 010.jpg
    B1 Home 11.21.10 010.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 230
Auto Transport Service
Back