• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Build A Shed Before?

I'm asking because this is my first time doing this. I'm building an 8x15 plastic shed to store my old garden tractors and whatever else in, and for the flooring my stepdad says to get pressure treated plywood because the floor is gonna extend out from where my shed is gonna be, if that makes sense and rot out. BUT my mom's friend says to get 1/2 inch OSB Board. I got the OSB Board, was that a mistake?

Thanks everybody in advance
I gave you an agree to your original post because asking for advice was wise.
You received a lot of good replies and it’s better in this case to correct the sheds’ floor issue.
My Dad tackled many home improvement projects, taughted me and learning himself as he tackled them, and when asked how he could complete such handy and good work his reply was “It was all done with a lot of S#!ts and D@mns.” Then he would grin.

I'm with the paving stone or sidewalk blocks. Gravel base would be nice but not required. Lay them on flat and build the plastic shed on top. It is temporary at best, although it can be a long while. But over-engineering is just money you can put elsewhere.
The problem with pavers is unless they have a base of 8 inch rock they start moving from lifting and falling from freezing. The futher away from moisture the better.

Thank you everyone for their advice, thoughts, and opinions before I permanently put it down because right now it's still in the back of my truck. The sheds frame is gonna be sitting on our old garden and we have part of the ground sticking through the beams if that makes sense, so board ground board etc. I wanted to put the OSB crap down over the board frame that I just explained but after all your guys' advice/opinions I not gonna risk it. The **** is OSB-2 anyway if I remember. That OSB **** is gonna go RIGHT back to Lowe's today and I'm gonna get pressure treated
plywood like my stepdad said to get, UNLESS someone else has a better idea.
Why risk it rotting out 10 years (give or take) maybe less from now, I even told my stepdad I wanted to do it right from the beginning.

The shed does have a plastic floor BUT my stepdad also has the exact shed and he put gravel down, and it seems like the floor dips. It's fine in one spot but dips in another, THAT is the ONLY reason I wanna do my shed like I wanna do it

Thank you everyone for their advice, thoughts, and opinions before I permanently put it down because right now it's still in the back of my truck. The sheds frame is gonna be sitting on our old garden and we have part of the ground sticking through the beams if that makes sense, so board ground board etc. I wanted to put the OSB crap down over the board frame that I just explained but after all your guys' advice/opinions I not gonna risk it. The **** is OSB-2 anyway if I remember. That OSB **** is gonna go RIGHT back to Lowe's today and I'm gonna get pressure treated
plywood like my stepdad said to get, UNLESS someone else has a better idea.
Why risk it rotting out 10 years (give or take) maybe less from now, I even told my stepdad I wanted to do it right from the beginning.

The shed does have a plastic floor BUT my stepdad also has the exact shed and he put gravel down, and it seems like the floor dips. It's fine in one spot but dips in another, THAT is the ONLY reason I wanna do my shed like I wanna do it
Got to do more than just shovel the rock off and rake it level. That something more is called compaction. Without it rock settles just like dirt. Them the dips appear.
Do it once do it right and you will not have to do it over.

My question is why would you extend the flooring out beyond the walls?
OSB imho is junk, its wood chips bonded together with glue so there are more places for moisture to infiltrate the core.
You can use it as siding but will need to cover it with vinyl or hardiplank that extends below the joist to prevent water from running in.
When I built mine i made mine 8×12 for simplicity ysing 4x8 sheets of 3/4 plywood. I installed T111 siding directly of my wall studs and painted it to match the house.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!

I just got home from returning the shitty OSB board and got the pressure treated plywood my stepdad told me to get before I made a huge mistake of putting the OSB down. I also looked at the shed floors at Home Depot while I was there, and only one had the shitty OSB stuff so it's a good thing I changed it.

Needless to say my mom told her friend what I did and he was not too happy, he says his neighbor across the street lives next to a stream and has the OSB as a floor in his shed and it is 25 years old and it's fine. Whatever, I'm sorry to upset him like that because he was trying to help me out with costs and I know him he is a really nice guy but I'm 95% sure I made the right call on this one. It's MY shed anyway NOT his.

That said, it's a wrap, thanks guys

I've been a carpenter my whole life. Start over with 5/4 or 3/4 treated on 2x4 or 2x6 treated on gravel and put a foot in your friends ***. If you use OSB, you might as well build it on a sponge.
^^^ He knows well what he speaks of ^^^^

Glad to hear you listened to your step dad.
How much is a sheet of 3/4 PT these days where you live ?
The amazing thing to me is we can get 50 posts on a B Body forum about how to build a shed floor.
:luvplace:

I've been a carpenter my whole life. Start over with 5/4 or 3/4 treated on 2x4 or 2x6 treated on gravel and put a foot in your friends ***. If you use OSB, you might as well build it on a sponge.
I've been a Carpenter for awhile too but have never heard of 5/4 or 3/4. What is that?

Okay, I saw 5/4 and didn't understand. Nobody calls it that out here, we call it 1 1/4".
It would be like a person saying that they are 4' 22" tall when they are 5'10.

1 laugh 3.jpg

3/4 plywood and decking boards that years ago were commonly just 2x6. The 2x6 boards that are really 1 1/2 or so x 5 1/2 or so are nowadays deck boards that are now really 5/4 or 1 1/4 with rounded edges. Lumber for furniture making comes in 1/4's.: WeatherShield 5/4 in. x 6 in. x 12 ft. Standard Pressure-Treated Ground Contact Southern Pine Lumber https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weather...Contact-Southern-Pine-Lumber-128813/100043043 SKU# 100043043
Okay, I saw 5/4 and didn't understand. Nobody calls it that out here, we call it 1 1/4".
It would be like a person saying that they are 4' 22" tall when they are 5'10.

View attachment 1188412

When building advertising displays we didn't use 1/8 inch masonite, we used 1/10 inch. Different abilities and materials in our trade.......... now that's funny.

Last edited:
I never delved into the art of furniture or cabinet making. I've been essentially a framer all of my life.
I remember doing some last minute changes in a building where guys were hanging drywall. One guy installing called out to a guy cutting.
47 and 6. 49 and 4!
Huh?
Different ways to do the same job. 47 and 6 what? 6/8 = 3/4, right? Why not call it out correctly? I know drywallers were not cutting to the 16th!

Earlier this year I gave up on finding materials and spare time. So, I ordered this:

IMG_20210602_140356037.jpg
IMG_20210602_134906697.jpg

I've been a Carpenter for awhile too but have never heard of 5/4 or 3/4. What is that?
Pressure treated boards 5 1/2" wide with rounded edges. Pictures of 5/4, think it's southern pine?
deck.jpg
deck.jpg

Last edited:
I never delved into the art of furniture or cabinet making. I've been essentially a framer all of my life.
I remember doing some last minute changes in a building where guys were hanging drywall. One guy installing called out to a guy cutting.
47 and 6. 49 and 4!
Huh?
Different ways to do the same job. 47 and 6 what? 6/8 = 3/4, right? Why not call it out correctly? I know drywallers were not cutting to the 16th!
Drywallers around these parts cut to 1/4” for the most part unless cutting around penetrations ( pipes, steel beams or whatever cause they have to seal around it )
47 and 6 = 47-1/2”
49 and 4 = 49-1/4”
56 And 9 = 56-3/4”
Don’t ask me who came up with it but it works for them

Auto Transport Service
Back