• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else like to play with cold call scammers?

ws23jrt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
I just had one that had something to do with $9k I was chosen to receive from the gov.
The caller's accent was heavy and a bit faint and I listened for a bit before I broke into the pitch.

I said--So the gov. wants to give me $9k is that right. -- Yes was the response.
OK have them send it, please. --She said we need some information to get the check to you.

I said no checks--I only deal in cash in my work as a drug dealer and the gov need not know about it.--She said we could use "western union" just please give me some information needed to make it work.:)

I said--most of my transactions are with UPS-some with Fedex.--She said OK this could work but we need some information from you to get it moving.

You already have enough information. My phone number which leads to my address. --She said my address was not enough.

I said then have the gov send the cash package to your address making like you are me. Then you send me the cash by UPS and please don't tell the gov what my address is.

I lost the call---???:realcrazy:

I like to ask them "what are you wearing?" to start with. From there the questions get creepier... "Do you have any children?"
"How old are they?"
Eventually most of them hang up.
Sometimes the foreigners don't quite get it though.

I usually don't have that much patience with them....I normally get to about "Why don't you go **** yourself" then shortly after I hear beeping.....:rolleyes:

I mean, it's not like they're going to report me to any authorities ....is it?
:lol:

EEk --It looks like I goofed with an attempted edit to the title.:rolleyes:

I get calls all the time I tell them he is deceased.:thumbsup:

My favorite was when the newspaper called and asked me to subscribe. I asked if they had an edition in Braille. The caller said in an animated voice, and I quote, "Braille!? What be Braille?"

After I explained, she hung up on me.

Software scammer called and said their server indicated my computer has a virus and he needed to log in to my computer to fix it. After a long, time wasting conversation about his server,which included him telling me his server was "in the sky", he hung up on me too.

I just don't seem to have much luck with them.

Once, I asked the caller, what is your name ? Gives me first name. Then, I say, your last name. Gives me a bogus name. Then, I ask, WHERE ARE YOU, physically ? Gives me a general location. Then, I say, No, I want to know exactly where you are now so I can jam my fist down your throat. Hangs up.

My favorite was when the newspaper called and asked me to subscribe. I asked if they had an edition in Braille. The caller said in an animated voice, and I quote, "Braille!? What be Braille?"

After I explained, she hung up on me.

Software scammer called and said their server indicated my computer has a virus and he needed to log in to my computer to fix it. After a long, time wasting conversation about his server,which included him telling me his server was "in the sky", he hung up on me too.

I just don't seem to have much luck with them.

I have had a few wanting to log into my computer to fix it.
In fact one day I let one of them in to watch what he did.--(I know it was a risk but I have nothing to lose and wanted to see what they did.) It was simple BS intended to confuse and perhaps panic most folks. The bottom line is all about getting money to save us from folks like themselves. --Ironic indeed--:realcrazy: They say they are protecting us from computer invasion and need to invade ours to show us how it is easy.:lol:

I usually don't have that much patience with them....I normally get to about "Why don't you go **** yourself" then shortly after I hear beeping.....:rolleyes:

I mean, it's not like they're going to report me to any authorities ....is it?
:lol:
Sounds about like me, I usually tell them to kiss my *** and hang up. The IRS scam is the common one lately and it's always a middle eastern accent with a lot of clatter in the background...

I like to ask them "what are you wearing?" to start with. From there the questions get creepier... "Do you have any children?"
"How old are they?"
Eventually most of them hang up.
Sometimes the foreigners don't quite get it though.

I do the same thing but take it up a notch! lol
I tell them they have a very sexy voice,ask age,marital status and children
what their favorite sex position is
that usually is where it ends..

No one said, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that 9 out of 10 of them are Indian.

I had one call just the other day asking if I still had knee and back pain. "What, who told you I had knee and back pain?" He could not tell me, but I was on the list and a brace would not cost me anything because Medicare would pay for it (after he bought it for $50 and then charged Medicare $800). I finally lost it and told him that he was just another Goddamned Indian scammer like all the rest and that he was just trying to rip off Medicare. That's when the connection went dead.

P.S.
I want that IRS scammer to call so bad. That one I have thought out and am ready for..............................but they never call. :(

I always start with,"Is this call being recorded?". Most often the answer is yes. Then I inform them I am not interested. Of course they continue and I interrupt and remind them they are being recorded. That usually ends the call. But I always slip in that I would like to be removed from the calling list.

Had a credit card company call and ask for Mr. "totally butchered my last name". I told that I was living with his wife while he was in prison and we could use the cash to buy beer and cigarettes for the kids. They just hung up.

I agree with the general irritation that these calls cause. They come at random and my usual response is to click off but when I have time and am in the mood it is fun to string them along. It has been a kind of sport with me going way back to the early seventies when I got my own phone number.

In fact, my first cold call was when I was 19. It was a sweet female voice saying her girlfriend gave her my number and she wanted to date. The call lasted maybe ten min. as I tried to learn just who she was.
A few days later this voice called again and we chatted for a half hour. She was always elusive about who she was.
Every week or so she would call and the chatter heated up. Soon a friend of hers was on the same line with us.---
Eventually, the calls stopped and one day I got a call from the phone company quizzing me about some long-distant calls to my number that added up to $75. I said I had no clue what it was about and played dumb. It was a long chat with the phone company and all I got from them was a city where the calls came from. My defense and lying was I worked a lot and had a few friends that could have received calls.:) I did not have to pay for the calls.
Always wondered who that sweet female voice belonged to and if her parents paid the phone bill.:p

No one said, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that 9 out of 10 of them are Indian.

I had one call just the other day asking if I still had knee and back pain. "What, who told you I had knee and back pain?" He could not tell me, but I was on the list and a brace would not cost me anything because Medicare would pay for it (after he bought it for $50 and then charged Medicare $800). I finally lost it and told him that he was just another Goddamned Indian scammer like all the rest and that he was just trying to rip off Medicare. That's when the connection went dead.

P.S.
I want that IRS scammer to call so bad. That one I have thought out and am ready for..............................but they never call. :(

Don't despair they will.

I'll ask if they could give me their number so I can call them back. They'll reply with I don't give out my number and I'll reply with neither do I and hang up.

Never had a call but when I post **** on Craig’s list I get texts all the time. Usual
Bullshit, they’re on business out of the country and will wire me money or send me a cashiers check. I tell them I’ll wait until they’re back in town and we can meet at the police department to ensure a safe transaction, No reply’s after that.

In the early 90's I got a cold call about discount hotels. After talking for a few minutes I told the woman to send me the info, gave her my address. Few days later the info came, it was called "Hotels at Half price". $60 bucks a year membership fee. Looked at the info for hotels in Hawaii and used AAA travel guides to gauge the quality of hotels and prices. Didn't quite get half off on Hawaii hotels but got 40% off. This was the only cold call that I listened to and gave my address. It worked really well saved a ton of money. Used it for 6 or 7 years.

Isn't it a lot easier to say "I'm not interested and hang up"? The ones we usually get are wanting to lower my electric bill, solar panels and the other usual assortment. The ones i find really annoying are the charities. Some times these callers do respond right away when you say hello, there is no typical pause, there not foreign sounding either. Law enforcement organizations looking for donations, veterans organizations, you have to be very careful and i tell them i never do donations over the phone. I want web sites that they are on and i ask them to mail any solicitations, i do not offer my address either. If they have my number they should already have a address. I always check them out and often enough with a few exceptions they have less than stellar reviews

How about the new gimmick it sounds like a real person, Hi I'm Kristy and I'm calling about reducing your creditcard debt ok... pause for you to answer. Then the pitch.

Auto Transport Service
Back