• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone in Phoenix, Surprise AZ that knows this car?

Without the benefit of a Fender Tag....or BS...my guess is that this car is as built, Auto, column shift, A/C and someone gathered a bunch of parts to do a 4-speed swap sometime in the future.

Makes more sense than swapping a good 4-speed column for a '3 on the tree' column, then make up some cock-in-bull story about it.

The Dana is easily explained by either wanting one installed, or the car was lucky and got one from day one.

A look at the firewall, and Fender Tag will solve most of the mystery here.

I wonder how many R/T's had a Rallye dash? I know it was optional, but I can't remember ever seeing one.
I had a 69 R/T with the factory Rally dash and column shift automatic. It had bucket seats with the center fold down buddy seat.

Another thing to look at is the frame mounted ball stud bracket. If it is missing, then it was an auto car for certain. Should also be able to tell if someone welded one in later....

Unfortunately no fender tag, and no build sheet. That means I assume it is a clone as there is no DNA on this car. Still trying to get the VIN will call and leave another message today.
Other than the car's color it is pretty much my dream mopar. Trying to stay grounded and will try to look at it in person.

Last edited:
You'll probably have this all sorted within 5 minutes of being there. Claims engine and trans are original - VIN stamps will tell; coupled with dash tag, core support #... and bring a small mirror - you'll probably be able to get a warm fuzzy (or not) on the trunk gutter numbers as to re-body status.

M

Unfortunately no fender tag, and no build sheet. That means I assume it is a clone as there is no DNA on this car. Still trying to get the VIN will call and leave another message today.
Other than the car's color it is pretty much my dream mopar. Trying to stay grounded and will try to look at it in person.

You're close enough to go look at it

Dash VIN could be incorrect too if the intent was to clone a 4spd RT and was already swapped.

Dash VIN could be incorrect too if the intent was to clone a 4spd RT and was already swapped.
Need to look at the radiator support. I asked about this and she said the numbers match, but she also claims 'fantastic' paint.

Studying the lone underhood picture it looks like 3 speed wipers. That is sort of a clue it is a R/T, or higher optioned car. I did notice the wiper arm are missing.

None of my business because I’m not in the neighborhood - but I think Bill is going a round a bout way of not outright asking if a member in the area would take a look at it for him prior to his making the trip. I’ve done it several times for guys. And would do it every time I could.
I have done that before for out of state people, and would again. We are leaving for Europe early Saturday morning and I have no time right now. If it still available in a couple of weeks I will go take a look.

Thanks for the offer, Paul. I understand preparing for overseas trips is super stressful. I hope to see the car this weekend.

Here is the VIN details:
This is a breakdown of the vin:

W- Coronet
S- Special (R/T)
23- 2 door hardtop
L- 440 1-4bb hp 8 cylinder(69)
9- 1969
A- Lynch Road, MI USA
143266- Sequential build #

1657210368905.png

In the pic showing the 4-speed and removed parts, there is also a manual steering column laying there. Maybe it is an original stick car. The only problem with that though is like stated above, no 440 4-speed could be bought with AC. Another possibility is that it is no

Characters up to A identical to my 69 Coronet R/T.

I knew this car 25 years ago. It was originally a 4 speed car. The guy took the 4 speed out and put the 46RE in. That is why there is a column shift column in the car.

So how did the factory AC stuff get in there ? NA with 440 & 4-speed '68 or '69 and likely '70.

Thanks for the offer, Paul. I understand preparing for overseas trips is super stressful. I hope to see the car this weekend.

Here is the VIN details:
This is a breakdown of the vin:

W- Coronet
S- Special (R/T)
23- 2 door hardtop
L- 440 1-4bb hp 8 cylinder(69)
9- 1969
A- Lynch Road, MI USA
143266- Sequential build #

View attachment 1309633
Anyone could do a dash swap. Big thing now is VIN on trunk and core support. Floor should show signs of 4 speed to auto hump repairs. I would also look at the engine and transmission VIN. Rear axle will also have information like its build time. As said look for the clutch cross shaft ball stud mount on the frame. A/C makes no sense.

Just spoke with the seller I am going Saturday. @gtx6970 is providing support.

Auto Transport Service
Back