• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone in Phoenix, Surprise AZ that knows this car?

OblongAlienatedGuineapig-small.gif

Bill, I'm sure you plan to, but plz update after your inspection. Seller statement about the 135K with fender tag would be a danger will robinson for me. Anyway, this car is a head scratcher. Engine pic seems purposely distant, but does appear to have OE style compressor, condenser, and plumbing.

Another odd thing on that car: To the best of my knowledge any Coronet R/T optioned with a rallye dash automatically received a Tic Toc Tach. In one of the pictures it clearly has only a clock. The clock could have been swapped in but yet another red flag.

Last edited:
I could certainly understand someone swapping in A/C in a car in Az. That makes a lot of sense.

I wonder how many R/T's had a Rallye dash? I know it was optional, but I can't remember ever seeing one.
I had a '68, 440 4spd. R/T with the rally dash and the clock instead of the Tic Toc Tach.

Well @JimKueneman @gtx69 and I travelled the 370 miles round trip in 112F temperatures today to check out the car.
The summary is the pictures in the ad are not quite what the car is paint and body wise. I assume the pictures in the ad are many years old.
The trunk lid looks as if someone gave it a few good wraps with a golf club. The passenger door has a perfect square of primer sprayed dead center, and the lower door looks as if it was scrapped, primered, then scrapped again. Lots of paint cracking here and there.
Underhood had things here and there that did not look correct such as messy wiring and suspect AC connections. Oil and coolant leaks.
The consensus from my B Body consultants who came along is that my road runner is a better car and this coronet is worth 25 rather than 35. I was a little disappointed, but may come back in a few months if it hasn't sold and offer something in the neighborhood of 24 and trailer it home. We don't believe it would be a good ideal to drive it to Tucson as it sits.

20220709_104331.jpg

20220709_104208.jpg

20220709_104155.jpg

20220709_104148.jpg

20220709_104942.jpg

20220709_104135.jpg

20220709_104952.jpg

BTW other than missing seat belts the interior is almost perfect on this car.

Another concern is the driver side door. It was difficult to open, and REALLY DIFFICULT to close. It wasn't the lower hinge. When I was trying to close the door the seller said "you know since we jacked up the car the other day that door has been tough to close". Really?

Been following this here and on Moparts. Given the seller's claims of perfect paint, the door operation, the assorted parts installed, and lack of FT, I'd avoid it.

@Billccm ; Maybe it's on Moparts, but I don't see it in this thread....VIN comparison to body numbers? Engine? Trans? "Yer killin' me Smalls....":(

Thx

Body numbers match the last VIN digits. Rear quarter was replaced and they carefully persevered the drip rail stampings.

Hmmm. Well, if the trans and engine also match, then the A/C would have had to have been added?

There are a few holes in a non-AC firewall that are not present in an AC one

One of my experts that came along had a theory that the firewall has been swapped from a AC car. I don't know?

When I get back in town in a couple weeks I can go look at it and offer $20000. Makes your $25 look much better.

Certainly possible - a lot of work rather than cut and drill.

At $24K and cost to redo, would you be upside down on money? What's a true restored '69 C'net R/T non-N96 4-spd valued at these days? $50K? $60K? - I don't believe it's near $135K - that's full-price Hemi territory IMO.

Well @JimKueneman @gtx69 and I travelled the 370 miles round trip in 112F temperatures today to check out the car.
The summary is the pictures in the ad are not quite what the car is paint and body wise. I assume the pictures in the ad are many years old.
The trunk lid looks as if someone gave it a few good wraps with a golf club. The passenger door has a perfect square of primer sprayed dead center, and the lower door looks as if it was scrapped, primered, then scrapped again. Lots of paint cracking here and there.
Underhood had things here and there that did not look correct such as messy wiring and suspect AC connections. Oil and coolant leaks.
The consensus from my B Body consultants who came along is that my road runner is a better car and this coronet is worth 25 rather than 35. I was a little disappointed, but may come back in a few months if it hasn't sold and offer something in the neighborhood of 24 and trailer it home. We don't believe it would be a good ideal to drive it to Tucson as it sits.

View attachment 1310707

View attachment 1310708

View attachment 1310709

View attachment 1310710

View attachment 1310711

View attachment 1310712

View attachment 1310713

Apparently there is such a thing as a free lunch but I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop and I have to go back up and help him load it!

Would have been nice if they paid your fuel as they misrepresented the paint and body.

My wife seems okay with the purchase in the 20s and keeping the road runner. I'm going to restart the dialog with the seller late next week.

Good luck, it is a very pretty car. Is black the factory color as far as you can tell?

Auto Transport Service
Back