• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone in Phoenix, Surprise AZ that knows this car?

Would have been nice if they paid your fuel as they misrepresented the paint and body.

Honestly I don’t think they believed they misrepresented it. I really think they believed the paint was really nice in the places where it didn’t have problems. They were an elderly couple.

Good luck, it is a very pretty car. Is black the factory color as far as you can tell?
One quarter panel seemed to have evidence of white paint, but the general consensus is black couldbe the original color.

Key Word

' Could ' be
One quarter panel seemed to have evidence of white paint, but the general consensus is black could be the original color.

IMO, low to mid 20s MAX
Fix what absolutely has to be repaired to make it a reliable driver and live with the exterior as is

BUT, that said. I would reserve yay or nay until after seeing the under side for how the OD trans conversion was done
And WHY the door now doesnt close right after simply jacking the car up. THAT is a huge concern IMO

Key Word

' Could ' be

IMO, low to mid 20s MAX
Fix what absolutely has to be repaired to make it a reliable driver and live with the exterior as is

BUT, that said. I would reserve yay or nay until after seeing the under side for how the OD trans conversion was done
And WHY the door now doesnt close right after simply jacking the car up. THAT is a huge concern IMO

It was a bidding war going on during the drive back so where are we on the
4857CBE9-67F2-44BA-BDC1-177629CF9D9A.jpeg
maximum bid for the 68?

Gotta tell ya, I’d be real concerned about that door issue. Maybe they jacked it some spot other than the rails? Just spooky.

my top estimate for this car is 25k, before I read the door problem. I think 20 is plenty given it comes with the 4 speed. An 18 spline would salve many wounds.

I’ve been watching for some time now and I just haven’t seen the right car for you. Occasionally I send a car to 6970gtx, but we flesh out each one as not the right fit. Now that I know yiu want an rt mainly I’ll zero in on those.

Too bad Bill. You know - wouldn’t life be that much easier if people were just upfront and honest? That‘s a lot to misrepresent in my opinion. A 400 mile drive in 112* heat with your Mopar brain trust along - only to find much the opposite of what she represented. I’m a less patient guy than you I think. I’m thinking I may have been a little fried over that. But if you’re looking for that make/model and willing to do what it takes to bring it to what you want eventually - hopefully it was worth the trip. I too like that car - in better shape. Paul will call and offer her $20k.Then a week later I’ll call and offer $15/17k. So by the time you get to her she’ll likely be OMG desperate and jump on something in the very low $20kish range. It’s a conspiracy ….. Lol. Good luck my brother. Keep us posted

Don’t waste another second on this car. I just found the winner. It’s in his email now. Nice blue one with ac. We can find a local to go see it. might have a guy depending on location. Make an offer. Good luck.

just get a better car and be done with it. You’ll spend so much less that way than buying a cheaper one with this many issues. GTX worked that way for me.

Sorry it wasn't as good as you were led to believe. What did the underside look like? Cowl, dutchman panel? Was it originally an AZ car? Factory big block B Body, R/T at that and sn original 4 speed with all the parts. I can see upper $27k to $30k as it looks like a nice driver quality.

Sorry it wasn't as good as you were led to believe. What did the underside look like? Cowl, dutchman panel? Was it originally an AZ car? Factory big block B Body, R/T at that and sn original 4 speed with all the parts. I can see upper $27k to $30k as it looks like a nice driver quality.
Someone commented that this car has been in Arizona at least 25 years. The underbody looked good to me. There would not be a lot of heavy lifting for someone with your skills to get the body and paint up to snuff.
It's not a basket case car, but it will take more than just TLC to make it right.
In my case, it's not nicer, or better than my current road runner. That makes it a difficult decision to buy at 35. If I was closer to retirement I would have worked towards negotiation on getting this car, but the sellers truly believe they have a gem worthy of asking price.
Now trying not to contradict, but at 24 or so I may pick it up. That would allow me to keep my road runner and slowly get this car towards the direction of getting it where it needs to be.

Last edited:
Dutchman looked good. Corners of rear backlight no rust. No bubbles under vynil top. Cowl had cracks in paint near bottom of A pillars.

Dutchman looked good. Corners of rear backlight no rust. No bubbles under vynil top. Cowl had cracks in paint near bottom of A pillars.

There was a lot of replaced metal in the rear. You can see the plug welds on the trunk pan In the photos Bill posted

There was a lot of replaced metal in the rear. You can see the plug welds on the trunk pan In the photos Bill posted
So probably an older restoration. That wouldn't really scare me away though. But I would look extra close for filler and old rust issues.

Offer $20k CASH or walk away

maybe $22k , then sell the 4spd stuff to get to said number.

Otherwise , KEEP LOOKING

So the car is an original 4-speed car?

So the car is an original 4-speed car?
IMO. yes, its a real 440 4spd Dana axle car . Owner said it had 4.10s in it. The car has the 4 piston bendix front disc brakes so to me the 4.10s is a a very good possibility .

IMO, the clutch Z bar bracket on the frame looked factory installed.
same for the trans tunnel / hole in the floor .

Maybe JUST MAYBE its even a real 3 way black car. But i would need to get into it a bit more to determine that , Hopefully the buildsheet is still in the back seat, But I'm not going to hold my breath it is .

But it is most definilty not a factory air car , the entire pass side of the firewall has been welded in . Plus neither the engine or trans is the original . Block is a 1970 HP block and I didnt ck the date on the trans nor did I think to ck spline counts to see if it was a 18 or 23 spline. By that point the decision had already been made not to buy.
'IF' it were a matching numbers engine and trans. I think 35k its a decent buy as long as the door issue can be dealt with easily

Last edited:
Don’t waste another second on this car. I just found the winner. It’s in his email now. Nice blue one with ac. We can find a local to go see it. might have a guy depending on location. Make an offer. Good luck.

just get a better car and be done with it. You’ll spend so much less that way than buying a cheaper one with this many issues. GTX worked that way for me.
Agreed

I know enough people around the country I could come up with a quality individual to lay eyes on pretty much anywhere in the 48 states

IMO...real 440 4spd Dana...4.10...4 piston bendix front disc....

...neither the engine or trans is the original...18 or 23 spline...
Excepting the gas pedal, the other clutch and brake pedals 'match' the E-brake - having the dress-up that would have been standard on an R/T. Front power disc 4-spd with pistol grip and reverse indicator all allude to an A34 Super Track Pak which would have a 26" radiator w/ Flex **Torque** & shroud, HD 18-spline trans, S.G. 4.10 Dana and dual-point (obviously electronic now).

It has belt molding, but is missing the wide sill moldings and wheel well trim that would have been standard. Bulge hood present. Looks like clear glass to me for a non-A/C 4-spd originally. Seems reasonably legit.

Bummer the engine/trans aren't original. Would still be a heck of a nice car...hope there's a broadcast somewhere... Carpet (at least, the front) is replaced with the trans swap - lowers the odds of one being there. I'd be reaching up to the top of the glove box. Would probably ask owners if I could "inspect" behind the rear seat....:praying:

Last edited:
For me if I really still wanted it - like Bill says $22/24k or goodbye. For $35k there are Cars out there that can be had in much better shape. This one happens to be nearby but that wouldn’t add enough more incentive. We can eyeball cars across the country for you in any direction if you come up with another option. And there are options and a lot of eyeballs to help.

Too many questions. Too many "what ifs".

I wouldn't buy that car for myself using your money.

just-walk-away.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back