• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use a universal tubular transmission crossmember?

saleenmav

Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
Putting together my 64 Polara and am needing a transmission crossmember. I was looking at one of the universal tubular styles and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with putting one in. From what I can tell, in order to get the mount to line up properly, it would need to go in line with the rear side of the torsion bar mounts. My car has a Gerst front end, so I don't need the torsion bar mounts, but I also don't want to cut them off. I've got US Car Tools subframe connectors so there is plenty of material to affix the new crossmember, just wasn't sure how to get it to line up with the mounts in the way. I don't necessarily want to buy a used factory one, partly because I like the tubular mounts and they are also about a hundred dollars less than a used one.

Weeeell, I've made trans mounts for other makes of vehicles from scratch mainly because there wasn't any universal stuff available. Not all that hard to do if you have a few tools and a welding machine.....

Weeeell, I've made trans mounts for other makes of vehicles from scratch mainly because there wasn't any universal stuff available. Not all that hard to do if you have a few tools and a welding machine.....
Cranky is right on.Very easy to fab one up!

Auto Transport Service
Back