• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone want a 505 stroker before i throw it in the bin

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200784072500706&l=1570004969291443784 20* aint that bad. How many cold cranking amps is your battery? 850 and the starter shouldnt drag. Throw those Champions away and try some autolite racing 14s I have a 500 inch stroker with an 1150 dominator 3 circuit carb and my cams a little more radical ,262@50 575 advertised lift.I,m using the black bushing in my msd pro billet.Motors crisp and doesnt run on as long as I run 93 octane. pm fugly on here hes a edelbrock guru. He cold probably give you a good baseline recipe for those carbs. Remember, if this stuff was easy everyone would have a hot rod.Click the link to hear it run.

Personally I think that cam is mismatched for the stroker. I'd consider something with a 114 lobe separation.

Benno,

I have a 512 stroker. My cam seems similar:

Duration @ .50: 251/257
LIft: .564

I had some issues with it when running timing of 17 degrees or so with 34 total. I had gotten some good advice and had a distributor built with 26 initial, then 8 mechanical for 34 total that comes in at 3200.

I was told that with that kind of duration you need a lot of advance otherwise your mix is igniting onthe way out of the chamber, burning up in the exhaust. Engine will run way to hot, and have no power. Something to look into.

Purrs like a kitten and idles at 750 rpm. No starting problems.

Give these guys a call: http://www.4secondsflat.com. He built the distributor I have.
Ditto on contacting Don there at 4-seconds flat, they build some great stuff, its all American made (he checks extensively) and they stand behind their stuff!

How come you guys run so little lift? IS that considered a lot in the mopar world? I run close to .700 on my cam

These guys have you covered so I'm just here for moral support, take a step back, spend some time with the little one, remind yourself how badass your car will be, do some homework and get back after it. You'll figure it out and it will be worth it when it's done. I do however agree with ditching the quads (twice the trouble) and the Eddies but if someone can help you get them dialed in then go for it. I had issues with my motor ticking (also Comp) in the end it was bad lifters, they sent me new ones I'll know tomorrow whether it fixed it. With mine they weren't pumping up to the point that I could depress them easily by pushing on the lifter.

I would prefer to keep the dual quads.

I am running ngk to autolites bud.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a red top optima battery I think it is 880 cca

Post up all your specs so we have some info to go off of. What NGK plug is it? Don't listen to the naysayers on the carbs, they can't tune either so they recommend dropping dual quads. Personally, I'd have put dual 650 Thunder series Edelbrocks on it but we can work with what you have. Are you running a fuel pressure regulator???

440 - 505
4.350 kb pistons 0 deck height 26.7cc valve reliefed (+.30*)
4.25 stroke K1 crank, fluidampner
lunati hyd cam
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 300/305
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 250/255
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .540/.540
•LSA/ICL: 108/104
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
•RPM Range: 3000-6800

comp cams roller rockers.
stealth heads 80cc
cometic head gasket .40 thickness compressed
compression ratio 9.8:1
edelbrock ch28 intake
dual edelbrock 500cfm carbs (#1404)

MSd 6 al box and #8546 pro billet distributor (no vac advance)
NGK BCPR7ES-11 plugs

manual tranny a833

runs on Australian 98 octane
running clay smith (mechanical) fuel pump with 'race pumps' regulator with a return line to tank set at 7 psi

have .83 jets in primaries at the moment and the blue springs.

distributor has black bushing and 1 hard sliver spring and 1 soft silver spring.(all in at 3000rpm)

muscle motors who did my stroker kit recommended twin 500's for street and 600's if racing

let me know if you need any more details

Just an opinion here but I would ditch that Edelbrock carb and get a Holley or Summit equivalent. I have had nothing but problems with the Edelbrock carbs including the "Run On" issue on several Ford and GM cars. I know they are not Mopar but they are all air pumps in the end

Thomas

Hey Tom, I've never had a run on issue with a Edelbrock carb. Was the set up and or cam extreme for the street?

Your cam choice will be very mild on this large engine. I recommend a roller cam with more lift and the valve springs to match. I thing you have too much compression for pump gas which will make tuning it properly almost impossible. Switch to a race fuel of 100 or higher octane. This alone will cure 90% of your problems.

Benno440, Fugly has a real good write up on the Edelbrock carbs and for use as dual quad set up. I just don't know where it is here.

its only 9.8:1 i've seen 11:1 pump gas motors
its a pretty aggressive cam too

i've got a friend who has a big thumping motor in his '68 charger. won't start half the time. i went thru all the scenario's with his MSD distributor. basically his won't start with the proper curve in the distributor. i swear it's an issue with the battery in the trunk. make sure the battery leads are direct to the engine and check voltage draw when cranking. i like optima batteries but mine's under the hood and it'll really spin my 440.

7 psi is too much for an edelbrock carb. I run 5 psi. Put in the off road needle and seat assemblies, that will also help, especially in the twisty corners and on a hard stop. If you're anywhere near stock jetting, you're way too fat, this could be a major source of your run-on problem. These carbs are tuned by rod/jet combos not merely jetting alone. Where's the vacuum at idle? How does it compare to the carb recommedation? Is it holding the rods down at idle or letting it up causing a super rich conditon? Timing seems to be a mess, do you have any idea where total timing is? A 7ngk should be fine heat range wise with that CR, you could probably even run a 6. I run 8's on the street and spray on 9's or 10's.

Benny, northwest is right on the timing. These big high cube engine like a lot of initial with 34ish total. Can't comment on the carb side yet... Not enough experience. Good luck.

.110 viton needle and seats are available from edelbrock. if the starting issue, with proper intial timing, is solved then the rest of the problems won't be difficult to solve.

Auto Transport Service
Back