• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything to gain by switching to a single plane manifold?

68Charger440HP

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions here. I currently run the Eddy RPM manifold and my dad runs the M1 single plane on his car. We've always wanted to try swapping manifolds just to see what effect it would have on our cars at the drag stip. I run 11.6's@116 and he runs 11.9's@113.

Ultimately a test at the track will give us the answer but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on what they think I may or may not gain from running a single plane manifold. I've posted the details of my combo in the 11 Second Combo thread.

Thanks!

I'm looking for opinions here. I currently run the Eddy RPM manifold and my dad runs the M1 single plane on his car. We've always wanted to try swapping manifolds just to see what effect it would have on our cars at the drag stip. I run 11.6's@116 and he runs 11.9's@113.

Ultimately a test at the track will give us the answer but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on what they think I may or may not gain from running a single plane manifold. I've posted the details of my combo in the 11 Second Combo thread.

Thanks!
A single-plane intake manifold, is more suited to 1/4-mile racing, with good mid-range-to top-end power band. A dual-plane intake manifold, is ideally suited for the street; designed to enhance low-to mid range driving, and improved low-end-torque. the majority of your street driving, takes place in the low, & mid-range, of your power band. Naturally, there are "M-A-N-Y" other factors, affecting performance. Carburetor size, camshaft, headers, or stock exhaust manifolds, exhaust-pipe/tail-pipe diameter, mufflers. ignition timing, distributor curve, rear-end gearing, ad-nauseom...

+1 to Zangenberg.

I looked up a 2013 article from Hot Rod I read before comparing the dual plane Air Gap RPM to the single plane M1. At their peaks, the M1 torque was about 20 less but HP 8 more. Granted, this was done with nothing more than an engine on a stand. As Al Zangenberg stated above, many variables in a real world test.

If your interested.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/intake-manifold-investigation

Real world.... I went from a dual plane M1 on a 451 stroker to a single plane Edelbrock Torker 383. Car went from a 12.30 to a 11.90

LVMS_APR05.JPG

A mild combo of less than 500 hp will be quicker with the RPM dual plane. My bet is you weigh somewhere around 3750 w/driver which is probably around 450 hp. To make the single plane shine it needs lots of cam duration and a loose converter to get the RPM up around 6500-6700. The crossover point is around 5800 rpm. How long does your combo stay above that?
Doug

I would be interested in that info also, I'll be waiting for the results.

A mild combo of less than 500 hp will be quicker with the RPM dual plane. My bet is you weigh somewhere around 3750 w/driver which is probably around 450 hp. To make the single plane shine it needs lots of cam duration and a loose converter to get the RPM up around 6500-6700. The crossover point is around 5800 rpm. How long does your combo stay above that?
Doug
Your weight guess was pretty close. I just scaled the car at the track a few weeks ago and it weighed in at 3715 with me. I shift between 5900-6000 rpm and I cross the stripe around 5700-5800. So I don't spend very long at the higher RPM's.

It was 11 years ago(sold the car) MPH was 110+-. Car weight 3600+200 for me.Cam was a prototype from Comp that soon became the Thumper.Lift was 490,[email protected] 236* LS 108*HYD.Don't remember the 60'.Found a note in it's file with the cam spec.

It's a pretty fast swap with big blocks since they are dry intakes and trying it is a good way to find out. The RPM is a pretty good intake while the M1 imo works better for higher horse power cars turning more rpm.

My experience this season has been as follows:
1) With 850 Demon Carb and INDY Dual Plane [email protected]
2) With 850 Demon Carb and Edelbrock Victor 440 Single [email protected] (NO OTHER CHANGES)
3) With 1050 Dominator and Edelbrock Victor 440 Single Plane (Using Super Sucker 4500 to 4150 CNC adapter to mount Dominator on the 4150 based Victor 440 Single Plane)- [email protected] (NO OTHER CHANGES)

Since the [email protected] I have changed timing from 34 to 36 and switched fuel from 50% 91 Pump and 50% 110 Race Gas to straight 100% 110 Race Gas and improved the [email protected] to [email protected]

So...as you can see, with a 500" stroker motor using a Single Plane Manifold and 1050 Dominator is pure MAGIC...from a best of 10.989 @120.61 with dual plane and 850 carb to [email protected] with a Single Plane Manifold and 1050 Dominator. Same motor, same cam, same compression ratio, same everything except carb and intake manifold.

The above examples were not Edelbrock performer RPM intakes. Nor was the single plane an M1. Torker and M1 are 2 different animals. Mikes motor is more towards the range that I would expect a single plane to make gains. Still betting on the RPM. Especially at your RPM level. That being said its an easy swap, time and gaskets.
Doug

A 1/2"-1" open spacer or a tapered 4 port spacer
on-top of the Performer RPM would do about the same as
maybe 12hp/10ftlbs at the flywheel, if you have room under the hood...
About the same gains as a M1 or a older Edelbrock Torker
single plane intake swap...

Old performance tip in a dual plane manifold
you can cut a notch in the vertical plenum divider too
{like 1/2" down & 1-1/2" long centered IIRC, don't quote me on the size, it's been a while}
on the RPM or any dual plane it can/will help a bit too...

I'm switching from an edelbrock rpm to a M1 single plane but I plan to put a small plate kit on my motor once it's together. Gonna paint it all turquoise too lol.

I'm curious how your track times will be affected.

A 1/2"-1" open spacer or a tapered 4 port spacer
on-top of the Performer RPM would do about the same as
maybe 12hp/10ftlbs at the flywheel, if you have room under the hood...
About the same gains as a M1 or a older Edelbrock Torker
single plane intake swap...

Old performance tip in a dual plane manifold
you can cut a notch in the vertical plenum divider too
{like 1/2" down & 1-1/2" long centered IIRC, don't quote me on the size, it's been a while}
on the RPM or any dual plane it can/will help a bit too...

Funny you mentioned a spacer. I have a 1" open spacer and a 2" open spacer that I've also been curious about trying. Maybe I'll try one of the spacers before swapping manifolds. I do have the under hood room for either. Would you expect the 2" spacer to out perform the 1" or would the difference be negligible?

The performer rpm has that notch you described cast into it already but I have heard of doing that on other dual planes.

Well like many have said, it's a pretty easy swap and the true results will show at the track. I won't be going racing until after the new year. Hopefully there will be a rain free Saturday test and tune I can go to in January. I'll report back with the results when I do get to race. Thanks everyone for the inputs

I don't know with your cam, heads, carb/jetting ignition, headers etc. & such
if the 2" spacer would make too much more, than the 1"
{I'd say if it was a 2", 4 port tapered spacer than yeah probably, still minimal, it's cheap HP/Tq thou}
no doubt at the higher RPM's if it did,
IMO maybe negligible differences/gains over the 1" if it did
but it would give you a boost down low/torque too,
kind of a free-fall long runner effect a bit like a tunnel ram "well sort of"
how much difference {?} I couldn't say for sure...

IMO you may have to jett up, add longer acc. pump discharge cam
or even squirter size "maybe both" or play with ignition timing some too,
to get all you can out of it...

It may pick up & run just fine too...

I advanced mine from 32* total to 34* total after 1" spacers on my 6bbl
it seemed to help, seat of the pants, haven't taken to the track since,
how much actually, your guess is as good as mine, it feels good/better thou...

Hell if you got the room longer studs/bolts etc. try it...

Last edited:
I've been a single plane guy for many decades. My latest few combo's were a Torker on a 500" BB & a Victor on the 500" BB. Torker with a small cam did well. The Victor was matched with an old style long duration cam. Still worked just fine on the street. But I had a fairly loose converter & 4.10 gears.

The rpm is a good intake, is it port mached or have any porting done to it?

I tested a tm6 vs my six pack on my 4000# b body. Times were pretty much identical. Even though them six packs don't work.. the rpm and the sixpack manifolds are similar except for the amount of carburators.

The rpm is a good intake, is it port mached or have any porting done to it?

I tested a tm6 vs my six pack on my 4000# b body. Times were pretty much identical. Even though them six packs don't work.. the rpm and the sixpack manifolds are similar except for the amount of carburators.
My rpm manifold is completely un-modified.

Auto Transport Service
Back