• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are these simulated arc flash headlights really necessary?

hdwrench

Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
i just don’t think so . not in normal headlight position . i can see having them in an alternate switched position but not daily use headlight. twice this morning i had to “ look elsewhere “ because of these lunar landing lights on vehicles. the second brilliant driver had them on high beam to boot ! the first car was in the village in a 30 mph area , do you really have to see out a mile at all times ? i get it , out in a country road you need all the light you can muster , that’s when you flip on ur road lamps .hopefully that driver your blinding in oncoming traffic doesn’t drift to the left while taking his eyes off the road !

I call them “asshole lights”. It seems as though more ******** every day have them.

Last edited:
I've just taken to turning on my high beams whenever there is a car coming towards me with these crazy ignorant bright lights. And the worst part is the watt ratting between low and high beam on these modern lights are about 5 watts and it's almost undetectable visually that they are not always on high beam circuit....So F'em!

that is a great name for them …
I think most new cars, if not all of them now have these blinding and dangerous headlights.
Basically with the exception of a back up camera, most updates on these cars and trucks are made for idiot and horrible drivers out there. This includes Throttle systems, noise suppression systems and ultimately, ABS AEB yackidee yack brake systems that stop on a dime. Yet, accidents still happen because most people get too comfortable with the notion that these brakes will do a great job at protecting them against their idiotic driving behaviors.
Nuclear headlights are a danger to everyone.

I searched most all of the Florida statutes, I would think it would be similar traffic laws up there. Regardless of the type of light (assuming it is approved by state or federal law) you can’t blind drivers coming at you. We use to have yearly inspections back in the old days. If your headlights were not aimed properly, they could fail you. Sometimes they would let you adjust the headlights to standards right there. Just part of a statute I found;
(b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.

Doubt if it is enforced much though.

I got pulled over back in ‘88 when I went through a small town with street lights. I was in my ‘70 Charger that I had upgraded with halogen lights. I had the high beams on and forgot to shut them off. The cop just gave me a warning, but they had all the brightness of a good flashlight.

Was in Croatia and the drivers hit their high beams at the last second to blind other driver. Sell those light there to get rid of the jerks. Never saw anything like it. Wife people with no power stoop to this. Going to airport the taxi driver in a big *** hurry was going to try to pass 2 cars. The second he pulled out I went NA, NA, NA and put my hand near the wheel. He decided not to pass. No way was I going to let him head on.

Wasn't sure if I'm seeing more blinding lights from oncoming vehicles with airport lights or just me? Well, I'm due to have cataract surgery soon..

It doesn't matter how bright the source is, if they're pointed in the right direction.

Speaking from a concert-lighting / color theory / lighting design background here...

Any light, as you look at it from the outside, you should see the reflection of the light source, and not the light source itself. If you are seeing the source itself (i.e. "bulb"), that light is not aimed/pointed/'focused' where it needs to be, it is simply projecting light in ALL directions - which is what blinds you. When you see the reflection, you are seeing light coming from the source, and being bounced in a particular direction - i.e. where it belongs, and not blinding you.

Sealed beam lights suck. They are candles compared to modern lights.

Halogen conversions are great for our classics - they still have the serrated ("fresnel") lens design so they look right when off, but you get a replaceable bulb inside that is multiple times brighter. I use Hella sealed beam conversion lights on anything (car or motorcycle) that originally had sealed beam lights - they make them in 5.75" and 7" round, 4x6 and 5x7 rectangle, and I prefer the E-code (European), because they have a better beam spread down the road.

The next step above halogen is HID - High Intensity Discharge. Very low amp draw, they only pull heavy power during startup. They have a ballast that turns 12vDC into something on the order of 10,000vAC. The light you see isn't a filament that glows, like a sealed beam, incandescent, or halogen light, but is actually a miniature bolt of lightning inside the capsule (glass part). They are not instant-on - they have to ignite, and "warm up", which can produce a delay compared to other lighting types. You can get different colors in these - they change the gas content inside the capsule to get different colors. People love the blue lights, which is stupid - blue light is the color spectrum the human eye sees the least. Color is measured on a Kelvin scale. Numbers I know off the top of my head are 3000k (kelvin) for an amber/fog light bulb; 5300k daylight white for normal use; 6000k is starting to go blue. There are 2 types of HID housings - one, is bulb-replacement HIDs that you can use in halogen housings. Pull out the halogen bulb, install the HID bulb, wire up the ballast, and you have more light, same beam pattern, and less electrical draw. I run these in the low beams of my Charger, as well as in the hi/lo lights of my minivan, and most of my motorcycles. There is also a projector-style HID that is OEM on many cars nowadays - this is a bulb, at the back of a projector-type lens that has shutters inside. When you turn on high beams, the shutter opens and the spread of the beam gets taller. Not brighter, just taller.

The newest lighting development is, of course, LED. Insanely low power draw, nearly infinite power capabilities, and the ability to configure literally ANY shape or design into the vehicle appearance and get adequate forward lighting. Factory LEDs contain heated lenses, because LEDs don't create any heat to de-ice in wintertime; aftermarket LEDs do NOT (unless noted on their particular package). You can get LED replacement bulbs for any halogen housing if you want, but I have found they put the actual source (the placement of the "filament", if you will) in the wrong location relative to the reflector, and you get odd beam spread patterns because of it. You can get LED replacement housings like I have in my Wrangler, which contain high-output LEDs mounted to a position where they project onto the reflector, and the reflector focuses the light down the road for you. There are LED replacement bulbs that look like a bees honeycomb, full of led's pointed right out at you - THOSE, will blind anyone unfortunate enough to be in front of them, and the majority of them are NOT DOT approved for that very reason. They simply blast light "that direction", with zero focus or discretion. LEDs can also be had in any color - I run 3000k (amber) LED high beams in my sealed beam conversion housings, in my Charger (to go with my 5300k HID low beams). In my Ram, I have 35w HID low beams and LED high beams, all in 5300k daylight white, in the factory Sport headlight housings. LEDs are instantaneous, so they make great high beam units.

But ALL of my lighting - even if it is bright enough to go half a mile down the road - is pointed in the right direction. Nobody flashes me to tell me they're too bright. Ever. I can cook a deer where it stands...but other cars have zero problems with me. THAT, is the key. Use the right style bulb, and point the lights in the right direction. Biggest culprits around here are the LED's that look like honeycomb - they're cheap, but they suck - and people who get "leveling kits" on their trucks and don't adjust accordingly afterwards.

I live in deer country. I put as much light as I can get on my vehicles, so yes, the bright bulbs CAN be "necessary" - but again, you have to use the correct design, and you have to point them properly.

deer 1.jpg

Lots of large suv's and big pickups out where i live. They seem to be the worst offenders but not all of them. I feel like getting a powerful spotlight to blind them so they know how it feels.

Occasionally, people will flash the highs at me when I'm driving my F150 at night (with the factory headlights).

I've noticed when these first came out they're really bright but they do loose some candle power somewhat over time. There was a surge of new Ford pickups in this area, the ones with the stacked headlights. They were murder on the eyes even during the day. If one pulled up behind me I'd have to flip the inside rear view mirror. They aren't as bright as when new.

Remember back in the Fifties when some states didn't allow four headlights on a vehicle?

Remember, many new cars have "automatic" dimming headlights. They sense a light source coming towards them and auto dim.
yeah, no they don't. Especially if you are not driving equally blinding bat-signal powered lights.

I fault the driver still, but they are relying on the car to do the work.

Personally, i do not think newer lights are automatically brighter than older lights. The old school(nowdays) plastic cased halogen "insert" bulbs on my daughters 2003 Impala are at least as bright as the fancy HID on my newer Charger.
The lights on my 98 Dakota are fantastic. They are yellow, non-blindness inducing lights that extend very far out and very wide.
Even the old chunky one piece lights from yesteryear can be super bright, the 1984 Capri I had was a 4 light front end. The old 79 F250 from the farm lit up stop signs two miles down the road. none of these made people flash you or made you wonder WTH if you caught the reflection in a window when you were headed down your driveway.

New LED and halo/projector lights are simply light pollution with no real added benefit besides maybe factory longevity. Because a $500 headlight unit that lasts twice as long as a $12 replacement bulb is an "improvement".
Just more reasons I find new cars cold, wasteful, overpriced big steps sideways.

I have NAPA LEDs in my Satellite. High beams are great, but the low beams are pretty weak. I do get flashed if I don’t dim them soon enough, but some of these new lights belong on a lighthouse.

back in the Fifties when some states didn't allow four headlights on a vehicle
Seem to remember that about dual lights. I think these were introduced in 1957/58. Offhand trying to think of any cars having them before then.

Auto Transport Service
Back