• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask to "Check the Box" at Autozone

Bruzilla

Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
I went to my local Autozone to buy some parts, and I wanted to get all new light bulbs for my Roadrunner. I got some sticker shock when I saw that most of their bulbs are about $5 a pair, which would mean about $50 or so for all the marker and panel bulbs I needed.

I was talking to "The Old Guy" that every parts store has, and told him I was looking at replacing all the bulbs, and he was helping me pull up numbers. When it became apparent they either didn't have enough of, or any of, some of the bulbs I needed, he said "we have a box of old obsolete and discontinued bulbs in the back. Let me check there." He came back a few minutes later with every bulb I needed, and the price: $6.87! I got a 10-pack of dash bulbs for $1.99!

So lesson learned... always ask the guy to check the old, obsolete, parts box in the back before buying the expensive new stuff out front. :)

I can see the Twilight Zone hacking someone for bulbs...Hate that place. Last time I was in there, my initial request for a Ballast Resistor turned into a Mallard Resinator by the time it passed through the 4 clowns working at the desk....Pick up the book!!! You might discover something!! Still haven't figured out what a mallard resinator is.....

I too, look for the old guy at the local yocal parts store. Usually knows the most and actually has common sense to pick up a book if need be.

Good tip! Thanks.

Good stories, Thanks I will only go to the Napa store here, it's actually run/owned by a woman Debbie {company name Debco}, she is a fellow racer & is very knowledgeable... But I don't go to parts stores much any longer, unless I need something right now, I mostly get 90%+ of my parts from Summit, Jegs or Rock Auto, the Summit stuff will be here many times by the afternoon the next day, if they have the part {a couple of hundred miles away} in the Reno, Nevada distribution center already, sometimes even with free shipping... I just bought a Optima 1000amp Group 34 "red top" battery for my 99 Dakota 4x4 from Summit $199 + $12 handling charge = $211 "total delivered to my door" next day, no extra shipping cost either, it was $240+ a recycle $20 charge at Napa when I called to see if they had one, which I would have had to spend 20+ minutes driving each way & probably 2+ gallons of gas too boot... I saved probably $50-$60+ buying through Summit vs's the local Napa parts store... I don't see how some of the local parts stores even can compete with that...

Good stories, Thanks I will only go to the Napa store here, it's actually run/owned by a woman Debbie {company name Debco}, she is a fellow racer & is very knowledgeable... But I don't go to parts stores much any longer, unless I need something right now, I mostly get 90%+ of my parts from Summit, Jegs or Rock Auto, the Summit stuff will be here many times by the afternoon the next day, if they have the part {a couple of hundred miles away} in the Reno, Nevada distribution center already, sometimes even with free shipping... I just bought a Optima 1000amp Group 34 "red top" battery for my 99 Dakota 4x4 from Summit $199 + $12 handling charge = $211 "total delivered to my door" next day, no extra shipping cost either, it was $240+ a recycle $20 charge at Napa when I called to see if they had one, which I would have had to spend 20+ minutes driving each way & probably 2+ gallons of gas too boot... I saved probably $50-$60+ buying through Summit vs's the local Napa parts store... I don't see how some of the local parts stores even can compete with that...
that is why so many are starting to cater to commercial customers.you would not believe the discounts they are offering me.if that is any indication of there mark up level,then the average guy is getting ripped off.

I do like supporting the local shops when I can, but when it's a $40 difference on a $200 part, damn that's 20%, even at my so called racer-net discount @ Debco's Napa & plus none of the hassles or time/expense to drive to town & pick-up parts...

Good idea to ask but the one i get stuff from, i have a feeling those young men wouldn't know what something was or where to look, the place gets worse each time, Im finding that Amazon.com has a lot of what ive needed and its always cheaper.. I believe most anything can be got on the internet cheaper and like said, ive bought and no shipping, a big plus alone, and again as said, delivered. Average out the gas money compared to shipping, sometimes its not worth the trip, especially ordering several things at a time. Somethings Auto-Zone has made me go up and pay them before they order it, depends on what i was told you order, i had to do it for set of shocks, they weren't kept in there warehouse so it had to be payed before hand, thats two trips i need to make. More then likely they get things from Summit or places you can order direct and never have leave the driveway.

Good idea to ask but the one i get stuff from, i have a feeling those young men wouldn't know what something was or where to look, the place gets worse each time, Im finding that Amazon.com has a lot of what ive needed and its always cheaper.. I believe most anything can be got on the internet cheaper and like said, ive bought and no shipping, a big plus alone, and again as said, delivered. Average out the gas money compared to shipping, sometimes its not worth the trip, especially ordering several things at a time. Somethings Auto-Zone has made me go up and pay them before they order it, depends on what i was told you order, i had to do it for set of shocks, they weren't kept in there warehouse so it had to be payed before hand, thats two trips i need to make. More then likely they get things from Summit or places you can order direct and never have leave the driveway.

AMEN BRUTHER !!!:headbang:

i cannot believe the day has come , that i have to special order intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets , carb kits , and other regular maintenance pieces that used to be so readily available over the counter from auto bone and crapa etc. i understand that these parts are no longer what people need these days , but it makes me feel really old lol. whats even worse is half the time ,these kids have no clue what im talking about or what im working on. i pull up to auto bone in my duster and one kid is like, "wow is that a dodge duster" they gather around the window, and the girl working there says "no, that is a nova ". i get my oil and go to check out ,and the girl wants to know what size engine is in my nova and so i point to the 360 callout at the end of the stripe on the quarter panel tell her "its a 73, the first year chevy offered a 360" and the is like "really? my dad has one of those"

I can see the Twilight Zone hacking someone for bulbs...Hate that place. Last time I was in there, my initial request for a Ballast Resistor turned into a Mallard Resinator by the time it passed through the 4 clowns working at the desk....Pick up the book!!! You might discover something!! Still haven't figured out what a mallard resinator is.....

I too, look for the old guy at the local yocal parts store. Usually knows the most and actually has common sense to pick up a book if need be.

Good tip! Thanks.

i think a mallard resinator is something you have to buy after you get done duck hunting.:icon_lol::icon_lol:I have a good friend that works at autozone and he will put his discount on major items that i need to give me a break on cost.he also tells me the crap how autozone corporation treats their employees.

I am happy to say my Autozone has The Old Guy, as does the Advance Auto Parts in the area, so I don't have to deal with the kids. :)

I've had no problems with going through Autozone so far. I use them for my Police Interceptors, and so far they've been able to get me every part I've needed for the Roadrunner, which granted has been limited to shocks, a trunk lock, and light bulbs, with no more than a three hour wait for a transfer for the lock. Sure beats paying shipping and waiting a week for UPS. :)

Old Guys Rule. I owned and operated a small chain of independant Auto Parts Stores called Auto Parts Center for 20 years after starting there as a delivery boy, in 1974. I have seen many changes in the way auto parts were distributed in that time period. It got to the point in the 90's where Our warehouse distributors were bypassing us Independants , and selling directly to the garages , service stations, dealerships, etc. It was dog eat dog for a long time , everyone demanded price. But this came with a loss in expertise behind the parts counter. I used to pay my experienced counter guys over 40k a year even back in the 90's. This was critical to retain our market share of business , because we knew what we were doing. These guys then were generally 40yr olds to 60yr olds, and they could tell you the rod clearances on a 38 Pontiac if you needed to know. Even though us independants got together and tried to boycott those greedy warehouse distributors, we just couldnt win. I was smart enough to buy all of the commercial buildings that i did business in, on the advise of my much older mentors. I was even on the board of directors for our auto parts association. We just couldnt make headway. In early 2001 at age 44 I sold all of the inventories and fixtures and delivery trucks , at all stores to Carquest Auto Parts Corporate, whom had been courting us for some time, but I retained the commercial properties.. They liked the tight ship we ran. I invested a lot of the proceeds and paid off whatever mortgages still existed on the properties.Today they still lease these buildings from me with long term leases.Notice that you rarely see any true independant auto parts stores anymore. They are all aligned will some big distributors. I just took all my marbles home and built my own personal shop on my home property. To this day , I still run into old auto repair customers who pleade with me, we miss you, we cant get any service, no one knows what there doing, what happened? . I tell them , they did it to themselves, Greedy, had to have the best price no matter what. Now they have price and no good info or service. I always said , its easy to sell on price, If you can keep yuor profit margins and sell on service youve done your job. As for me , the Auto Parts business did well for me and my family. End of Rant . Sorry

i think a mallard resinator is something you have to buy after you get done duck hunting.:icon_lol::icon_lol:I have a good friend that works at autozone and he will put his discount on major items that i need to give me a break on cost.he also tells me the crap how autozone corporation treats their employees.

LOL...I guess I need to catch up on my game fowl hunting Roger

To the counter person at "Most" of the autoparts stores, If it isn't on the screen in front of them, then it doesn't exsist!
I worked "assistant Manger" at an autoparts store while in college. I would always flip open the THICK catalog and look things up for people! I would tell you what U-Joint had what caps, and how wide it was,,,, Hell I would take two boxes of U-Joints, swap caps to come up with an "adapter" U-Joint for customers. I had the market on SBC engine complete overhaul kits put together.... Best price around!! I only had this because I did my own research! It takes pride in what you do to supply customer service! You just don't find that today!!!!
Damned Kids!!!!

The box he pulled from the back is part of the commercial inventory. The front end counter people will usually not bring it up to DIY'ers but you can buy it. A lot of that stuff has been discontinued, but there are a lot of stores that still have it.

I live in a small town. And I try to ignore the local A-zone, and buy from the locally owned Napa. But the price difference is too much. If its not an emergency, I just order it from Amazon. I feel bad, but that is the economics of it. I'm sure they give the shops a better price than me, and still make money on it. My local Napa can usually get things in one day. If they were just willing to match internet, plus shipping, and considering the time savings, I would be willing to pay slightly more than internet price. And feel good it was staying in town.
So here we have social responsibility to your town and neighbors, versus doing what is best and cheapest for yourself.
These folks are also no strangers, I drink with them at the Eagles, and I know their wives and children.
I cant help but feel bad when I go in there for a $20 part, right after I just ordered something for $400 on the internet, that would have cost me $600 from them.

I agree it's tough, I do support local stores, instead of driving 50 miles to the big box stores, you know all the names, I like to stay locally as much as I can anyway, it's tough in small rural areas sometimes, but also the economics takes president for most people, especially when building these expensive vintage muscle car....

a local auto parts store brought me a set of plugs for a truck I was doing a tune up on, he got out of his car fumbled, and dropped the plugs on the concrete and gave them to me like nothing happen.. he couldn't understand why I didn't want them anymore. So I gave him a quick lesson..

My local NAPA has been owned by the same guy since 68 and he is part to mopars. All the guys that work there are great, one of the other guys worked at a speed shop for 20 years and when it folded he they hired him. They don't even need to look up the common mopar parts. They know the numbers and where on the shelf they are. The problem is the parts themselves these days. I know its not their fault but Chinese parts seem to be junk right out of the box lately.

I buy from local parts stores when the price is right and they have the parts in stock. If I have to wait, I go to the web stores. I like the little collector series magnet I get with each Rock Auto purchase. I'm lucky enough to live one block from Autozone and all their employees are old car guys.

One day I went to O'Reillys to get a part and all their counter folks were gray headed but they didn't have the part I needed. So, I went to the next nearest store and all their employees were under 30. They had the part I needed, though.

Auto Transport Service
Back