• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At what point is it needed (NHRA Tech inspection)

2quick

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
I post a roll bar question in another thread earlier and thought of a few other things I cant get a grasp on.

In anticipation for Drag week in September I want to make sure I'm legal to run 10.00 index, At what point are the following needed?

1. Trans blanket or shield
2. Roll bar padding
3. Head rest (Fabbed into roll bar) I use factory low back seats.

Roll bar padding isn't required until the 25.x certs. Trans blanket or shield I believe is 10.99 or quicker. I haven't ever heard of a head rest requirement but I have a Hans device and schnell rated helmet but mine is cert for 7.50 1/4.

If you ever saw a torqueflite explosion you would want a trans shield at any speed.

No offense to the guys that have posted here but your best bet is to go to nhra's site and download the current rulebook...

1. I would run a blanket or shield in any 10 sec 727 car, required or not.
2. Padding anywhere your head can hit the roll bar. Why would you not?
3. Pretty sure a weld on head rest is required if you have a rollbar and low back seats. I have a welded headrest in both my cars that use low backs, (full cages however) , don't need one in the other car with just a bar and high backs.

Low back seat and no padding

B3B5F45E-BC18-4829-9D1A-69412DC736EA.jpeg

EDAD82A7-1D7D-4954-8A6E-C1CF770FD1DE.jpeg

Honestly, the car is much faster than 10.0 more like low nines, possible high 8’s but I don’t have time to add halo or dash down bars before drag week. I will be slowing it down by pulling timing (Holley hp)
It makes over 850hp

High 8's in a Sat I'd love to watch run. If you've got the money in it to make it do that no point skimping now.

Just a tip on roll bar padding. Just because your helmet doesn’t touch the bar isn’t a good reason to not add padding. If you were to crash your body stretches a lot. I once was involved in a minor crash in an oval track car. Durring the crash I somehow was able to bend the rod that held the window net even though at rest, belted in and stretching I was 4” away from that net. We couldn’t believe on how far my body stretched in order to hit that net.

Auto Transport Service
Back