• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

auto to manual trans swap. no reverse lights.

71 bird

Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. recently finished restoring my 71 road runner. Been getting all the wiring gremlins out of it. The one I haven't got to fixing yet is the reverse lights. anyone done a swap (in my case i got the car with a 904 and went to a 833) and know what's involved or what the secret is to get them to work? I've looked at a schematic and it seems there could be a wire that needs to be added to the firewall block. I have separated the original 3 prong plug on the reverse switch on the trans and grounded out the neutral safety wire to the trans. thanks. ill try to answer any questions that could help solve the issue.

The two outboard wires on the auto NSS three prong plug will connect to the two terminals on the manual trans reverse light switch. That’s it.

The two outboard wires on the auto NSS three prong plug will connect to the two terminals on the manual trans reverse light switch. That’s it.
When I split the plug I did that. Grounded the NSS and put the two light wires on the prongs still no lights work.

Its a hot in and hot out. The grounding is done at the reverse lights. Its just like the switch in your house. Hot is there waiting for you to throw the switch which passes it through the switchleg to the light.

Backup lights.JPG
When I split the plug I did that. Grounded the NSS and put the two light wires on the prongs still no lights work.
Break out the VOM then, troubleshoot it, should have keyed power on one side, other lead goes back to the rear light harness.

Last edited:
At least on the late 60's cars, there's an actual mini-harness for this purpose.
My own '68 GTX is a conversion and had zero reverse light wiring on the car,
so I just wired it myself - yes, front to back hardwired it on it's own little circuit.
Not hard to do...

Auto Transport Service
Back