• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B body disc break master fluid proper level

MWbirdLOVER70

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
Dumb question but can someone please tell me proper fluid level for 70 Plymouth disc break car master cylinder fluid level? Think I’m about 1/4 from top. Thanks in advance guys

I fill mine almost to the top. Could you post a pic of your MC please. Brake lines on fender side or engine? thanks Dave

1/4” or less, tall reservoir so they hold a lot of fluid.

I do 1/2” down. Fluids checked several times a year, not many miles to wear pads and move pistons out.

That fluid level is with new brake pads and the rear brakes adjusted properly.
As the pads wear down, the level drops. If you just keep filling it up you won't know how worn they are.

Thanks guys. It’s seeping out of the top sides some so maybe a got a little debris under gasket after I filled it and didn’t check it good enough

You really don't want ANY debris in a master cylinder.

You really don't want ANY debris in a master cylinder.
Yep, think hospital sterile when opening up the MC and protect things around, beneath, and the fender in case of any spilling or over flow. Don’t want the reservoir to be full to the point the cap will create any overflow when reseating it. I keep the brake fluid container cap closed until I have it next to the MC, pour it, then put the cap back on the container before I go set it back on the bench in case it could tip or slip from my hand. Risk management lol, and don’t be over-caffeinated.

I don't use DOT3 fluid for precisely those reasons.

That fluid level is with new brake pads and the rear brakes adjusted properly.
As the pads wear down, the level drops. If you just keep filling it up you won't know how worn they are.

and to add to the above......... if you keep topping off the master, you will make a huge mess when changing brake pads; unless you suck it out first

Auto Transport Service
Back