• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-body exhaust

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
I have Doug's headers, 2.5" at the collector. Has anyone done an exhaust system for this and retain the factory appearance? I want to have the "machine gun tips" coming out of the rear valence. My car originally had turn downs but changed the valence. I thought of Accurate Exhaust but will have to modify, cut, the exhaust to meet up with the headers. Any advice/opinions/ etc? I'm coming home from a land time forgot and want to get this task accomplished and post on my project page.

Thanks!!!

I have Doug's headers, 2.5" at the collector. Has anyone done an exhaust system for this and retain the factory appearance? I want to have the "machine gun tips" coming out of the rear valence. My car originally had turn downs but changed the valence. I thought of Accurate Exhaust but will have to modify, cut, the exhaust to meet up with the headers. Any advice/opinions/ etc? I'm coming home from a land time forgot and want to get this task accomplished and post on my project page.

Thanks!!!
I'd think a decent muffler shop should be able to bend up what you want.

I'd think a decent muffler shop should be able to bend up what you want.

I want a factory appearing exhaust. Yea, I might need a muffler shop go from the collector to the exhaust pipe, bend a pipe about 1-2 feet if that, but for the whole thing? Have to look into that but not real sure if they would or the workmanship will be good. I don't want a hack job for sure

My 73 Roadrunner is 2.5inch TTI headers and exhaust, and I used the factory machine gun tips, but I had to have a step down on the end of the pipe to 2.25 for the tips.

Here is what it looks like.
20131123_150323.jpg

There's a difference between a muffler shop and an exhaust shop. You go to a muffler shop like Midas and you're going to get a hack job.

You need to look for an actual exhaust shop. The problem is they are getting more and more scarce. There's like two of them within 30 miles of me and about 20 or so muffler shops, and you need an appointment to get time with the exhaust guys as they are usually very busy.

I have 2" tube headers with a 3.5" collector on the Hemi going to the original exhaust for my 73 RR GTX. I am running original pipes, mufflers, resonators and exhaust (machine gun) tips.
But since my exhaust system from the headers back is 44 years old its time to replace.

It's coincidental that you inquired in installing an Accurate Exhaust system. I just bought the complete 71 Hemi B-Body set to replace my original exhaust on my 73. So I guess in the near future I will be able to let you know how it goes. I received my exhaust kit last week. It has been so hot here in Laughlin (111-123 degrees) the last couple of weeks I can't get the motivation to get out in the garage to jockey cars around to get the RR on the lift to start on the exhaust.

Also I have not made up my mind if I'm going to use the repro resonators and exhaust tips or try to reuse my originals since they appear in such great shape. (No outside rust or damage.) The original chrome exhaust tips look brand new. (any opinions,)

DSC03293.JPG DSC03292.JPG DSC03289.JPG DSC03290.JPG DSC03295.JPG DSC03325.JPG

Sorry I haven't responded on this subject. It seems that I'm clumsy by tripping, falling down, and breaking my fibula and splitting my head open:(. Anyway, I appreciate the responses from you guys! I'm still undecided what I'm going to do with the exhaust. I talked to Tom at Accurate and told him what my motor is and the size, type of headers that are in. He suggested the 440 set up. Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll have to have a exhaust shop bend me a little tube to go from the collector to the exhaust pipe. Will just have to cut off a section to get it close.

rrTor-sorry about the leg, broke my tibia yrs ago & hurt like a b------. Heal up & get going again!

Thanks oldbee and 73HEMI!. It's one of those things I guess. Aint life a B***H sometimes?

Auto Transport Service
Back