• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Badly damaged key in the cam snout...

Krooser

Local time
6:53 PM
Reaction score
So tonite I was going to install the timing set on the '65. Coronet 318...

Major issue...

The key is fubar'd and stuck... hope tomorrow is better...

Dang. I haven't had that happen to me in years. I know it's hardened, but can you maybe slice it up a little with a dremel cutoff wheel(s)? Maybe pieces would come out easier, or just cutting a channel down the center will allow a chisel to collapse the edges inward?

That’s a pain! Hopefully you can get it out or maybe it’s time for a cam swap. I haven’t personally had a cam do that but I did have a similar thing with a PTO shaft in a tractor. I ended up using a die grinder and some small drill bits to remove the center of a stuck key. Once most of the key material was removed the remains of the key came out pretty easily.

The key should be soft and weldable. If it were mine, I would machine a slot in 1/2 inch key stock and weld the key stock slot to what is left of the key. The heat from welding and then some external persuasion would hopefully get it out.

Dremel to the rescue. Slice it down the middle, side chisel it, and then it should come right out.

I have gotten ones like that out with heat and a chisel on other types of equipment like spindles and PTO shafts... Good Luck it's never as easy as it looks..

I wish I could find the old cape chisel I bought when in junior high. My metal shop teacher, Mr. Jensen, was a kindly old guy who told us there would be times when a cape chisel would be your savior when doing repairs.

I bought a narrow cape chisel soon afterwards and kept it in my chisel drawer for 60 years. But someone obviously borrowed it in recent years not knowing the purpose of it.

The Dremel idea may work...I did think of firing up my mig.

Now to find my sons Dremel...

BTW....thanks to those who checked out my video!!

Got it out......

Used my brazing tip on my torch and used a 50 something year old vise grip instead of the China look a like copy ( newer vice grip brand) .

Had to heat the snout dull red and really tighten up on the VG.

But it worked...

Now in to the timing set and the front cover and oil pan install.

Plus I need to install longer ex manifold studs since I'm using Magnum manifolds...

I'll try to record the work and post it on my YouTube channel...

Thanks to all for the help.

Magnum manifolds use bolts.
Of course studs will work fine as well.
Just an FYI

Auto Transport Service
Back