• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ballast resistor capacitor???

idrivemopar

Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a condensor/capacitor that comes off the ballast resistor? I have never seen another car with one, and the schematics in the service manual do not show anything here. The new wiring harness i got does not have one either. This looks factory, but who knows.

The only ones that are shown on schematics are off the coil and one on the instrument cluster.

Anyone know?

Attachments

• ballast capacitor.jpg
    ballast capacitor.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 340
Isn't the only reason for it(condenser) is radio noise suppression?

Capacitor

There is only one reason for this capacitor, just like others have said, a filter for the radio. I know it looks like an old distributor "condenser" (and it is) but this was a fix done by most manufacturers during this era. A lot of the time it was added by the dealer to try to get rid of the spark niose. Resistor plugs had not become the standard yet. that is why it doesnt show on some prints.
maybe this helps
PT in Tennessee

Its interesting that there are three of these on the car. I guess i can always add it to the new harness if needed. I will have to see what happens when i get to that in the rebuild.

Thanks for the replies!!!!

With all the advancements on radio equipment and new designs for the electronics of the cars now, You really shouldn't need it.. Unless of course your going completely original.. Just my 2 cents, i took mine off as it was broke (wire) and radio doesn't have the engine noise in it...
This is usually hooked hear or at the coil.. The ballast resistor allows 12 volts to start the engine (key in crank position) and then cuts voltage down to 7 (key in run position) i believe it is.. A good reason to have one in that location. If i remember correctly Chevy "usually" had one hooked up by the coil.. Again, Good luck in your rebirth of a great car!

Hey Ron,

So in addition to this one on the ballast resistor, my car also has one on the coil and one on the instrument cluster connected to the regulator for the temp, oil, and fuel gauges.

I am believe it or not going all original with the electronics, radio, etc.

I guess we will see if it is really necessary once i have all the new harnesses in and give her the ol smoke test!

I believe that capacitors aka condensers also act as electrical shock absorbers. Years ago when I took some mechanic's courses we were told that the capacitor found in the distributor with the points was there to prevent some of the arcing when the points opened and the primary circuit collapsed allowing the secondary circuit to send current to the spark plug(s). I did some reading on them and they actually store electricity. An old trick was to charge one up and set it down somewhere and wait to see if someone picked it up. I fell for it once and it discharged in my hand. A never to be forgotten experience. My thoughts would be to leave it there. It can't hurt anything.

Auto Transport Service
Back