• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bastard Tire Shops

Leverage is your friend when this happens.... Put a 3-4 ft pipe on the breaker bar and all you have to do is stand up... Work smarter not harder they always say. I worked on large farm equipment for decades and it never fails..

My ‘68 R/T had 19 wheel studs break from some SOB with an impact wrench over-tightening the wheel studs.

Now the fun - there were 2 different sizes of studs (different size heads) so I had to buy 80 studs, 40 left hand and 40 right hand, drive the broken ones out of the hubs and then install the correct ones - yes, some of the hubs had two sizes in them - and then take the ones I didn’t use back. There was only 1 stud of the bunch that did not break off. Luckily for the one that did it, I didn’t know who it was....

My ‘68 R/T had 19 wheel studs break from some SOB with an impact wrench over-tightening the wheel studs.

Now the fun - there were 2 different sizes of studs (different size heads) so I had to buy 80 studs, 40 left hand and 40 right hand, drive the broken ones out of the hubs and then install the correct ones - yes, some of the hubs had two sizes in them - and then take the ones I didn’t use back. There was only 1 stud of the bunch that did not break off. Luckily for the one that did it, I didn’t know who it was....
You didn't make the shop liable for the cost of materials and labor?

Many of you older fellas have experienced steel rims with "wallered" or "boogered" out
mounting holes where some ham-handed fella got stupid torquing lug nuts.
Ruins the damn wheel, least to me....
These days, over-torquing (or unequal torquing between lugs on the same wheel)can
lead to warped brake disc rotors, too.
I make sure the tire joint uses a proper torque wrench on all my rides and yes, I'm ****
about it also - when I get the ride home, out comes my own torque wrench as well.

My wife had occasion to need to get an unknown tire joint (famous regional one, no less,
multiple locations) fix a flat on her car once some years ago.
Well, they screwed the pooch on tightening the lugs properly afterwards...
she was actually on her cell phone on the way home, calling me when she said "hmmm,
the car is sort of shaking..." when I instinctively told her to find somewhere safe to pull
over RIGHT NOW.
She did and she rolled to a stop, that wheel fell off.
To quote Ron White:
"it fell off.
IT FELL OFF.
IT FELL THE FLUCK OFF!"
Suffice to say, I went and rescued her, swapped vehicles with her and went directly back
to that establishment - where if that manager had been anything short of totally apologetic
and REALLY eager to make things right with me, there would have been carnage - I was THAT
pissed.

I also install Gorilla or McGard lug nuts on everything I own - you know, those good heavy chrome jobbers
that you can't hardly hurt if you tried. They stand up well to any manner of torque and last the
life of the vehicle, as opposed to those FAKE chrome capped lug nuts so many makers use now
(and were invented by GM back in the 70's).
THOSE effing things have been the source of many a cursing for so many people, especially when
stuck on the side of the road with a flat.

So yeah, on the off occurance when I encounter an over-torqued lug nut, out comes the LONG
torque wrench, capped with a 4 foot long piece of galvanized steel pipe.
That sucker will either come loose or break - guaranteed. :thumbsup:

My brother talked about using a torque wrench and a 6 foot pipe to torque lugs on Caterpillars. The first time I tried to take a wheel off my first car, a '61 Dodge Phoenix, it was on the left front. My father laughed at me, I had no idea of left or right lugs! I worked at German car dealers in parts. They all torqued lugs with a wrench. My friend has sticks at his shop because the insurance company says so but his guys use wrenches. I don't know who put the wheels on the front of my '90 Legacy but I had to use the breaker bar and my short pipe. Oh, and I have anger management issues and I run softly and carry a short pipe!

The shop i go to is really good. They usually just tap it with an impact, and then use a torque wrench. Some of these tire store gorilla's don't realize you don't jam the lugs with an impact gun. Wannabe nascar tire changers

I used to have a 2017 Shelby GT350 and the specified torque was 150 ft-lbs for wheel lugs. I had to go get a bigger torque wrench that wasn’t going to be at the upper end of its capacity.

Auto Transport Service
Back