• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Electrical

This is tough to debug without looking at the car and trying some stuff.
You probably have a heavy cable from the battery right to the starter.
But that is likely a custom made wire.
How does the terminal look at the starter?
How does the starter relay main stud get fed?
The ground is also a potential the problem.
If you are bonded to the frame/body in the trunk you can try adding even temporary a cable all the way to the block and see if that improves the situation.

This is tough to debug without looking at the car and trying some stuff.
You probably have a heavy cable from the battery right to the starter.
But that is likely a custom made wire.
How does the terminal look at the starter?
How does the starter relay main stud get fed?
The ground is also a potential the problem.
If you are bonded to the frame/body in the trunk you can try adding even temporary a cable all the way to the block and see if that improves the situation.

took some pictures of the setup. Cable connected to the starter does not look good. So much for the heat shield I had over it. Any other issues you see? I think this was a kit from summit, Need to get some new connectors. Does this seem like #4 gauge?

IMG_3085.jpg IMG_3086.jpg IMG_3088.jpg

Start with the cable end on the starter that's obviously a high resistance point.
The discoloration is from the current not the block.
I think that will cure your problem.

Is that common or am I getting too much current to the starter for some reason?

Current is probably fine, as Don mentioned you're getting heat at the connector because there is high resistance there, or perhaps it was arcing to the block at some point. Start with redoing that connection and a rubber boot over it is extra insurance.

Current is probably fine, as Don mentioned you're getting heat at the connector because there is high resistance there, or perhaps it was arcing to the block at some point. Start with redoing that connection and a rubber boot over it is extra insurance.

By rubber boot, do you mean the heat shrink that usually comes with these connectors or is there something else?

I don't think it ever arced to the block at least not like that.
But if that terminal ever did contact the block well that would be bad...
:mad:

Do an overall complete electrical system check up. This has been an ongoing issue for over 50 years. Check/recheck all grounds. Clean/coat with dielectric grease.
Why is the battery in the trunk ?? No place under the hood ? Quasi race car for more rear weight ?
Number enemy of current flow is heat/resistance. Even if the battery was in front you should have a smaller ground from the negative battery cable to radiator support. Engine block. block/trans to firewall. Especially with a trunk mounted battery.

Do an overall complete electrical system check up. This has been an ongoing issue for over 50 years. Check/recheck all grounds. Clean/coat with dielectric grease.
Why is the battery in the trunk ?? No place under the hood ? Quasi race car for more rear weight ?
Number enemy of current flow is heat/resistance. Even if the battery was in front you should have a smaller ground from the negative battery cable to radiator support. Engine block. block/trans to firewall. Especially with a trunk mounted battery.

So, you are saying I should run another ground from the negative battery terminal all the way up to block or radiator support? Something like a #12 or #14? Wouldn't the heat be the same regardless of the battery location?

Auto Transport Service
Back