• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery ID Question

VFilms

Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
According to my FSM, my '66 318A takes a 24-MB-48 battery. Of course that's a 1966 specification which I'm sure doesn't cross reference to today's batteries. I'm guessing the 24 is the group size. MB is Mopar Battery? and 48 AH capacity.
I can't find info on CCA and AH ratings on the web anywhere and parts counter clerks aren't helpful (unless I drive a KIA and have the VIN handy). I could us a little schooling on the battery specs for my car, assuming minor performance upgrades to the POLY and factory electrics.
Appreciate the help.

battery.jpg

According to my FSM, my '66 318A takes a 24-MB-48 battery. Of course that's a 1966 specification which I'm sure doesn't cross reference to today's batteries. I'm guessing the 24 is the group size. MB is Mopar Battery? and 48 AH capacity.
I can't find info on CCA and AH ratings on the web anywhere and parts counter clerks aren't helpful (unless I drive a KIA and have the VIN handy). I could us a little schooling on the battery specs for my car, assuming minor performance upgrades to the POLY and factory electrics.
Appreciate the help.

View attachment 1205764
https://www.interstatebatteries.com/product-search-results/1967-dodge-coronet-v852l

I'd use a Group 24 with the highest CCA you can find in your price range.

I'd use a Group 24 with the highest CCA you can find in your price range.
I would use a group 27 battery with the highest Cold Cranking Amps. If you want a authentic looking battery that resembles what was origionally installed, select the one with the red caps which will fit the battery tray just fine. The highest CCA will be just fine. Battery chemistry is up for debate....which is best.....conventional ot deep cycle or AGM or ?? Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

I would use a group 27 battery with the highest Cold Cranking Amps. If you want a authentic looking battery that resembles what was origionally installed, select the one with the red caps which will fit the battery tray just fine. The highest CCA will be just fine. Battery chemistry is up for debate....which is best.....conventional ot deep cycle or AGM or ?? Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON
Just measured the tray and it’s a VERY tight 12x7. Group 27 dimensions may not fit unless they are smaller than advertised. Group 24 is slightly smaller.

Just measured the tray and it’s a VERY tight 12x7. Group 27 dimensions may not fit unless they are smaller than advertised. Group 24 is slightly smaller.

I believe a group 27 battery is 12" long. A group 27 battery fits in the tray of my GTX with about 1/4" to 3/8" room to spare. Its close but it will fit.
BOB RENTON

Less expensive option is a Wal-Mart battery with Weskcar caps and decal kit. I did this with Group 27 battery for my '64 Polara. It won't fool a judge at a car show, but for cruising and cruise-ins it looks pretty good. Weskcar has a website.

Last edited:
I believe a group 27 battery is 12" long. A group 27 battery fits in the tray of my GTX with about 1/4" to 3/8" room to spare. Its close but it will fit.
BOB RENTON

Bob, I agree, I should have said go with a Group 27 with highest CCA if it will fit in the tray. Unless the OP is going to a concours show, nobody will care what battery is in there. main thing is a battery that will start the car consistently.

I located a group 27 Deka battery at a local battery wholesaler. The price is right and I’ve had good luck with these batteries and the shop stands by the warranty. It measures just under 12 inches and as Bob said may be a tight fit. Nice thing is there are no markings on the battery so the Weskcar decals and caps should work fine. 800 CCA Should be plenty of power to start the car. Thanks guys for all the help and information.

Auto Transport Service
Back