• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Out with the old, in with the new. Battery for the hotrod, old one only lasted 12 years dangit

gtx6970

Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
Finally pulled the old Mopar group 27 out today ( I think it was time )

Bought a kit to convert one of the modern batteries for a more correct look, here > Mopar Battery S27M red (1966-74) Push in Caps kit | eBay

Using a Duralast from Autozone, mainly because it was the only one I could find that had the right shape and cap. Plus I get a pretty decent discount via work. A 3 year free replacement warranty doesn't hurt either.
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...27-810-cca-27-dlg/115785_0_0?searchText=27dlg

I'll be honest, Its not going to fool any real purist at the OE level. But Im not buying a $300 - $350 repop battery ever again due to my experience in the past, Thanks, but no thanks. ( I have about half that in this one as shown )

20230901_101940.jpg

20230901_102040.jpg

20230901_101503.jpg

20230901_102151.jpg

Once you remove all the stickers from the Duralast your 3 yr warranty will be removed also. But that’s the way to go.

At 12 years on a battery , I'd be buying lottery tickets! Well, just 1 .

Why didn't you go back to the magical battery retailer? (Mopar)
Just because of the caps?

My original mopar battery in my 05 Ram lasted 14 years. My interstate in my Hemi Cuda just took a dump at 7 years. I just got a Duracell to replace it, because it was dated 8/23, so I'm sure it's fresh. Who makes Mopar batteries that last so long? There's only a couple of mfg. making batteries, so who makes them that good?

Once you remove all the stickers from the Duralast your 3 yr warranty will be removed also. But that’s the way to go.
Could be, We have a pretty good relationship with the local store. So maybe!!!!! maybe not. Either way I'll cross that bridge when / If I get to it. And besides, I peeled the sticker off and put it on the bottom, just in case.

Besides My car lives on a good NOCO brand tender when not in use and has been for over 20 years. Which I think adds to the longevity of a battery.

At 12 years on a battery , I'd be buying lottery tickets! Well, just 1 .

Why didn't you go back to the magical battery retailer? (Mopar)
Just because of the caps?
An over the counter Mopar battery was near $300. A repop OE looking AGM battery was like $350
This Duralast was $154 my cost. And I think another $29 for the cap decal kit. And to be honest the case on the one I removed is 100% identical to the one I just installed, just different decal.
I think there are only 2 companies that actually make ALL the batteries out there. Johnson Controls, and cant remember the other. But think is Exide maybe???
So, no matter whom you buy it from, you're getting one or the other.

I went with costs and a reasonable appearance for the final product, just not 100% concerned will all out dead nuts OE please the purists correct. I want the look, and this is more than close enough for my liking. I drive my car, A lot,,,, weather permitting.

Last edited:
law of averages says your next battery lasts about 6 months

Nailed it!

Around here if you get 6 yrs, you're doing good. I replace batteries all the time ( customers)

But I have seen the very few odd 10-12 yearers.

I bet you fellas don't see batteries freeze much.

My luck, I absolutely wouldn't doubt that. Here in southern Az, I'm averaging about 2 to 2.5 years on batteries in my daily drivers.

It's not unusual for me to get 7 -10 years out of a battery, but they're on tenders and/or disconnected if the car's idle for a few months.
Got 11 years out of the one in my daily - just happened to notice the date and replaced it before I needed jumper cables somewhere.
For the "restoration" Mopar battery tops that YearOne and 521 Restorations sell, only 2 batteries that fit properly are Duralast (AutoZone) and a Delco that my local Co-op (farm/livestock) sells that was about $120 and the least expensive in my small town. Bought it about a month ago, did the top & bracket, and it replaced my big-dollar dead resto battery.

Jealous! Here in the desert, a daily driver battery will last about 2 years, the heat causes them to sulfate badly (unless they are not mounted under the hood). My classics will get 3-4 years even with a tender.

Jealous! Here in the desert, a daily driver battery will last about 2 years, the heat causes them to sulfate badly (unless they are not mounted under the hood). My classics will get 3-4 years even with a tender.
Im in Tucson. And DD batteries get about 2,,,maybe 3 years tops

Ive only owned the Satellite right at 3 years. And its been on a tender for only maybe half that time.
Previous owner bought the battery new in 2011 per the sticker on it. But it was always on a tender during his ownership. Which helped it last Im sure.

After my old lead-acid repro battery failed after about 3 years, I drained & gutted it. I put in one of these small Odyssey batteries in the case. The first one lasted over 12 years! Only changed it out because it was developing a slow crank in the warmer weather.
Saved about 15lbs in weight too!

5-2-2007 4-36-03 PM_0006.JPG

5-2-2007 6-24-31 PM_0009.JPG

5-2-2007 7-03-03 PM_0017.JPG

After my old lead-acid repro battery failed after about 3 years, I drained & gutted it. I put in one of these small Odyssey batteries in the case. The first one lasted over 12 years! Only changed it out because it was developing a slow crank in the warmer weather.
Saved about 15lbs in weight too!

View attachment 1519868

View attachment 1519869

View attachment 1519870
Had my car had one of these batteries in it. I would have gone this direction. BUT it was just a modern Mopar over the counter battery. So I went the route it did.

It looks good, Not perfect. But I like it.

I got nine years out of my tractor battery (Group 24), which surprised me. On the other hand, the VW battery in my Passat last only 4-1/2 years, and was supposed to be a five-year battery.

And when did every battery in the country suddenly go from $99.00 to $199.00??? When I got my tractor battery, it was $217.90 with tax, and the VW battery ran $240.00! This was all this past weekend. Nearly $60.00 for TWO car batteries!

Auto Transport Service
Back