• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Question

Belchfire 5000

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
I have been looking for a group 27 dual post battery to simplify wiring of the electric fan, amp, and maybe an EFI soon. The only ones I can find that size are marine batteries, is there any reason we can't use them in cars? There are plenty of group 24 batteries with dual posts but sure would like to keep the battery tray full.
Thanks in advance
Evan

You can use a deep cell or marine battery in a car, but the warranty is crap. I just replaced two 27 deep cells that were two years old, and draining the other two batteries in the truck. Checked with interstate.... one year warranty . I have never had a deep cell go past three years.
Frankly, I would go with a dual post 24, way before a 27 deep cell.

I agree a group 24 would be fine. Batteries these days have way more power than in the 60's.
I put one of these distribution blocks in from Summit.
I should probably add some fusing but it worked well for my use:
qi4h-jUq_DQb6p-ugwNz09c=w1266-h950-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

I have been looking for a group 27 dual post battery to simplify wiring of the electric fan, amp, and maybe an EFI soon. The only ones I can find that size are marine batteries, is there any reason we can't use them in cars? There are plenty of group 24 batteries with dual posts but sure would like to keep the battery tray full.
Thanks in advance
Evan
Some people don’t like them but I use a yellow top D3478 Optima. It’s one of the best batteries made for electronics. I got a sniper, vintage air, Dakota Digital gauges, 2800 cfm dual spal fans, dual power seats and 6 speaker 700 watt amp stereo. All being charged by a 160 amp 1 wire powermaster alternator.

Check NAPA. I'm looking for a Group27 also, for my '63 trunk mount. The Vintage batteries are about 4-6 months out, on order. It'll be time to store the car again, before the battery gets here...

Check NAPA. I'm looking for a Group27 also, for my '63 trunk mount. The Vintage batteries are about 4-6 months out, on order. It'll be time to store the car again, before the battery gets here...
If you have a membership, or know somebody, I have seen 27s at Sam's club. I think I have bought five batteries there in the last couple years. (One for the race car, two for the diesel pickup, two more for the diesel box truck)

?? When you say dual post ... the battery I have has the standard "post" on top and the newer style screw in type on the side ... "dual post" !!!

Thanks in advance
Evan
WAL-MART makes a Group 27 battery....positive post on top right (looking down at top) 900 CCA 3 yr free replacement warranty 5 yr prorated..... usually in stock at ~ $ 150.00 plus tax snd core. Just bought one for the PLYMOUTH. Not a marine battery.
BOB RENTON

I would stay away from Optima in my opinion. I used to use them years ago when they were more reliable. Back around 2010 or so they moved their plants to Mexico - quality hasn't been the same since. Sad because they were the best back in the early 2000s!

There are some decent 27s at Sams Club if I recall, and Sears (if you can find one) use to have some nice 27 Gel batteries - some platinum series that was better than Optima, I forget the brand but they were around $250.

I know Costco has some Group 27 batteries with the positive post in the right location...but they are generally slightly larger size body wise meant for trucks but do fit in the battery tray on a B-body.

Click on this link to get all battery dimensions and terminal locations.
34/78 is the dual terminal type. Post top, side terminal side.

Last edited:
Are you guys all missing the "dual post" part of the OP's question ?!?!?!

WAL-MART makes a Group 27 battery....positive post on top right (looking down at top) 900 CCA 3 yr free replacement warranty 5 yr prorated..... usually in stock at ~ $ 150.00 plus tax snd core. Just bought one for the PLYMOUTH. Not a marine battery.
BOB RENTON
I have the Wal Mart 27 battery but they don't have the dual post ones.
Thanks for the help guys, maybe I should just use the 24.

I got a group 27 with dual post at car Quest. Delco I think. A boat battery but not deep cycle.

I would stay away from Optima in my opinion. I used to use them years ago when they were more reliable. Back around 2010 or so they moved their plants to Mexico - quality hasn't been the same since. Sad because they were the best back in the early 2000s!
There are some decent 27s at Sams Club if I recall, and Sears (if you can find one) use to have some nice 27 Gel batteries - some platinum series that was better than Optima, I forget the brand but they were around $250.
Nah. They’re still the best. They moved to Mexico in the late 2000,s. I still have a Bluetop cranking battery in my boat that’s 13 years old and my yellow top that is 5 years old They both still hold a charge like new and Nothing about their quality has changed despite claims they’re not as good and those platinums are junk. I only got 2 years out of 2 Sam’s 27 Duracell Platinum batteries for my trolling motor.

dual post
I run one in my Motorhome chassis battery and another is for the cabin battery.
They are a 78 Series and may be as large as the 27. You may want to look up dimensions .

Nah. They’re still the best. They moved to Mexico in the late 2000,s. I still have a Bluetop cranking battery in my boat that’s 13 years old and my yellow top that is 5 years old They both still hold a charge like new and Nothing about their quality has changed despite claims they’re not as good and those platinums are junk. I only got 2 years out of 2 Sam’s 27 Duracell Platinum batteries for my trolling motor.
Glad you had good experiences - myself and quite a few buddies noticed a discernible difference in quality of their batteries since that move - we all went a different direction.

Auto Transport Service
Back